• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your First shiny

Years
I've encountered a couple of shinies across the Pokémon games I've played. I'm going to assume hacks don't count, but I should say that when I encountered the shinies, hackers had no idea how to make shiny Pokémon appear, never mind making the chances of finding one higher (so long story short, I'm counting the ones in hacks XD). My first was a Caterpie in a game called Pokémon Arcoiris. If memory serves, it was too low a level for me to attack without fainting it :(

If that's not good enough, my first shiny in a REAL Pokémon game (that wasn't the Gyarados in GSC) was a Metapod in LeafGreen. I was so very tense when I tried catching it, and was so very furious when it burst out of the last Pokéball I had. I mean it's catch rate surely isn't remotely high. ;_;

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
My first (and so far only) shiny is a male west sea shellos named Apricot.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 6, 2014
My first shiny was a Zubat in Pokemon Ruby. I was going to try to look for a Bagon in Meteor Falls, but I stumbled across the Zubat instead. I am not going to say I wasn't happy with this (; The Zubat, now Crobat, is currently on my Black at level 100~

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
I remember my first experience clear as day. I was playing Pokemon Gold on my gameboy color and I had already beaten the game. I was just exploring in the forest right before you get to Goldenrod city, where you find Celebi. I may have been training a weak Pokemon.

Anyway, I was confronted by a shiny Metapod, which gave it a pink color instead of the usual green. I was dumbfounded for two reasons:

1). When I saw the sparkles I was completely caught off guard and I questioned what it was.

2) It looked darn awesome and I knew it was rare.

It was during the time when I was looking up ways to get the pink Butterfree that the girl has behind the counter at the gate to Goldenrod City, so experiencing this event made me very excited. I had only known about the existence of shiny Pokemon for a short amount of time beforehand.

So I caught it and evolved it into a pink Butterfree which I kept in my PC for safekeeping in case any of my friends or siblings got a hold onto my game. Then I remember the day when I checked my PC and it wasn't there anymore, I think one of my friends tried to do a glitch or a cheat with my cartridge. I was devastated.

Anyway, that is my first shiny. A pink Metapod in Pokemon Gold :). A fond memory of mine.

Years
My first randomly-encountered shiny was a Shiny Silcoon which I came across one Thursday night earlier this year in HeartGold while doing the Bug Catching Contest at National Park.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
My first Shiny was a Shiny Donphan on Silver while I was wandering around Route 28 for some reason. Was probably heading to New Bark town or something when I found it. But I caught it anyways and I was soo happy. ♥ Too bad that I soon lost the Silver version along with my GBC but I hope someday I'll see a shiny in my Soul Silver that isn't a Shiny that I soft-resetted for or anything.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
First shiny was a light blue bidoof..
I really can't believe why bidoof, still I was glad.
but man.. what a drag.

Sonatron

Face of Rubber
Years
Aw man, most of you have had shinies? I've been playing Pokémon for years and I've never found one except the Red Gyarados from Gen II :(

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
My first shiny was a Whismur in Ruby. I thought it was diseased, so I just had to catch it.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I remember when I first found a shiny. I didn't even know that it was shiny, so I just ignored it and ran away. Then I thought, was that Geodude gold? I was annoyed by the fact that I could of have had a gold Pokémon. However, when I reached the Red Gyarados (G/S/C) I thought it was a special Pokémon so I caught it that time. I later found out that the gold Geodudes were called shiny and had a very low encounter rate. I was super mad :/

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
My first shiny encounter was a Snover in Pokemon Diamond. I knew I wanted it as soon as I saw those sparkles! I swiftly caught it and stored it away in the PC.

Sadly, in a stupid move I traded it for my brother's level 100 Espeon. Now that I realize how rare they are, I really wish I didn't trade it.

JorgeAamelo

Reality Bender
Years
Excluding the Red Gyrados, I have just found two Shiny Pokémon to date, maybe because I don't play that much (yet I plan to start playing more often again in the near future). I can't remember witch one I caught, as I was jsut able to catch the second one that appeared.

The second shiny that appeared was a Yellow Magikarp, I was unable to catch it though.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Shiny Rufflet in White. Ran out of Pokeballs when I encountered it. It was really good in evading all of my pokeballs.

Not really an "encounter" but technically my first shiny I obtained was a Shiny Treecko via trade. It was a gift from a friend.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
My first shiny was a weepinbell back in Gold. I was training whatever Pokemon I was training when suddenly this guy came up. After that I got a shiny Spearow in Gold and Unown in Crystal. The only shiny after that was a shapedo which was mercilessly crited by my evil Magnemite in Sapphire ._.

Also in Snakewood I got this ugly piece of (you don't get me parser) which apparently is a rock type thing. Since its whole existence is a act against nature I destroyed its shiny form (which doesn't even have a color swap) mercilessly.

Sonatron

Face of Rubber
Years
Guys guys guys! I already commented here saying that I haven't ever had a shiny, but as of yesterday that's no longer true! I used the Masuda method and got a shiny Squirtle after 60 eggs :D I called him Olive :D I'm so happy!

Years
The first shiny I ever saw was in Pokemon Fire Red, it was a Nidoran in the Safari Zone. I had no idea what it was and didn't catch it...It's horrible to think about that now. The first one I caught (with the exception of the red Gyarados)was...of all things, a Zigzagoon in Pokemon Emerald. Still, a shiny is a shiny.

Bobith

Tossin' balls since '99
Years
My first shiny was an Exeggcute caught in Fire Red, in the safari zone. I remember thinking it would it flee and freaking out.

Back