• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Take a friend with you! (Rivals)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I wouldn't mind the idea of removing rivals entirely...

But if we must have the rival system still in play, I'd rather have a rival like Brendan/May again. It's a good combination of friend, but "I wanna kick your ass" feeling is in there haha. Just more battles than you had with Brendan/May as well. But yeah, these rivals weren't obnoxious like Barry, rude like Blue (my favorite rival tho), and didn't treat you like a dumbie like Bianca and Cheren. So yeah. Someone like them would do well I think.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I liked rivals for the competition. Maybe more of an evil sort of rival like in Gold/Silver where that dude was trying to steal pokemon.. or someone ditsy like team rocket in the show. That'd be amusing. The childhood friend just seemed whishy-washy to me and felt like they were there just to give you a tutorial or pat the player's butt than for story or motivation.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I'd rather a rival than a friend, but if it is possible, it would be great to have both. I would also like the opportunity to battle them more. I would also like them to be more of a challenge. Just as long as they're not like Barry, man he was annoying.

Years
I really liked hugh, so I wouldn't mind someone like him again.
I canny remeber the rivals from emerald/ leaf green too well, didn't take it seriously and now I can't play them anymore o-x;.

But someone like the pearl/diamond rival would be really cool, just wish when he jumps out of the blue to challenge you, you have the option to decline. Many a curse word was uttered when he wiped my half dead team out in a flash x__x;

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I do not care either way. I just want a rival I'd like to beat, and one which has some decent characterisation and development.

Zet

Years
From the trailer in that forest scene, it looks like you can partner up with some people. And it might be a small form of co-op(maybe restricted to certain areas only) or it's one of those "help me get out of the forest" tasks.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I'm on board with with a rival being like Gen I and Gen II as well. Maybe make it so like you have one rival like Blue / Silver, but at the same time, you'd have another rival like N / Cheren / Hugh? Eh, I'ts just, I'm sorta bored with the childhood rivals too. xD They are too friendly tbh!

This is basically how I feel! I felt kind of bad about beating my friends, since they were so nice! And especially how Bianca in BW had her dad against her going on the journey. Y'know? It's fun to beat up a mean rival, and plus, they've already proved that they can have someone like Silver's personality change!

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I've really been fine with the past rivals, and don't really care. But something I would find interesting would be having a story involving two childhood friends, like Black and White, but one has kind of "gone bad." So what I'm thinking is having a friend who starts with you on your journey, and you both head off, and at some point in the game, you meet your other rival. This rival is really mean, and for some reason, he hates you and challenges you to a battle, etc. I was thinking that you and the rival were friends since childhood, but something happened to your rival, and he blames you for it. At first you don't know him, but one time you meet him with your childhood friend, and the revelation occurs. And along the journey you bring him back to his normal self or something.

So yeah, mines is a bit too detailed, but basically I would like a mix of a mean rival and a friend.

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2014
You knwo what, I just had a brain storm and I think it's the best idea yet I have ever had.

What would be awesome, is if you have wifi you can make your rival, or rivals, be your real life friends if they also bought either X or Y. So you can treat this as a dream world system where they upload their stats as a trainer at certain key points in the game.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Yeah I like that they were friends in Black/White rather than mean like the others. Though their personalities annoyed the heck out of me, Cheren, don't be such a smart-ass, and love your pokemon. and Bianca, for Arceus' sake, woman, stop being so damn clumsy xD so yeah, friends, but with different personalities xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
You knwo what, I just had a brain storm and I think it's the best idea yet I have ever had.

What would be awesome, is if you have wifi you can make your rival, or rivals, be your real life friends if they also bought either X or Y. So you can treat this as a dream world system where they upload their stats as a trainer at certain key points in the game.

That'd be pretty awesome! Kind of hard for those with friends who don't have the games, though :(

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I liked how in older generations apart from I and II, you had childhood friends that you battled every now and again and would help you defeat the evil team. Like Hugh in B2/W2, though I'm also thinking of something new and completely different. How about you have someone that you've known as your friend in your town, but then turns out much later that he's really evil and always wanted to help the evil team with their plans?

That would be interesting. :)

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
Huge Fan of Silver. Rest of them are just Meh. I would like the rival to be a little more Aggressive.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
I kind of liked the whole Cheren/Bianca/N "rival" option. But I also liked the introduction to possible love interest in B/W2.

Perhaps we can get a childhood friend that joins up with Team "X/Y" and another that can be possible love interest like the Harvest Moon series.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Hmm, actually, I'm sick of rivals battling here & there, especially if "Oh my gosh, my team is looking REALLY bad. Nvm, I'll solve this prob later." when suddenly "HEY [insert player name here], LET'S BATTLE!!!".

Ugh, why not just erm, do a 'we-have-been-friends-since-childhood' thing & give the player advice along the way, but he or she can still battle you once in a while, for more battle practice.

Cinnabar

Fenniken is godly.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I just want a rival that looks badass, gives me a run for my money, and has a decent background to him/her.

Perhaps we can get a childhood friend that joins up with Team "X/Y" and another that can be possible love interest like the Harvest Moon series.
This idea is fantastic.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Hmmm I like the sound of a love interest! That would be very interesting. Well, I've been thinking and I have a little idea. You have to rivals, and they are friends, but just classmates to you. One is reall determined and kinda dark even, going for the all or nothing approach, doing whatever it takes to be the best. And the other rival is kinda like their sidekick. Unfit and Slow, they find it hard to keep up with their friend. They are just generally a follower and is kinda weak. But as he/she see's their friends dark ways, they become friends with you and turn to you to help.

So it may not be the best idea, but it's different to anything we've seen before.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
Hmmm I like the sound of a love interest! That would be very interesting. Well, I've been thinking and I have a little idea. You have to rivals, and they are friends, but just classmates to you. One is reall determined and kinda dark even, going for the all or nothing approach, doing whatever it takes to be the best. And the other rival is kinda like their sidekick. Unfit and Slow, they find it hard to keep up with their friend. They are just generally a follower and is kinda weak. But as he/she see's their friends dark ways, they become friends with you and turn to you to help.

So it may not be the best idea, but it's different to anything we've seen before.

I actually like this idea. It is a good plot line. And add the fact that this puts the protagonist as the "odd man out" that ultimately becomes the hero. Thinking of the standard age market for the Pokemon genre, it could a good motivational story. Hehe, you could even add in a couple NPCs that would have given the player something but the rival got his last one instead of the current standard of getting everything handed to them.

Back