• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does anyone else think Platinum has lots of silly sprites?

Years
As the title says, I kinda noticed how weird some of the sprites in Platinum look, and that they mostly use the second frame animation from DP.

042-m.png
Golbat, for example - if you look on Psypoke's Psydex, you'll see the Platinum sprite is EXACTLY the second frame and uses the DP sprite in its animation.

112-m.png
Rhydon. Same exact deal.

Some of these sprites are just laughably bad. For the most part I just thought they were funny, until I watched Aquablade11's Platinum Insanity Nuzlocke series where he ranted about the sprites in this game quite a few times.

Does anyone else feel this way? Discuss.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Platinum has some of the coolest sprites imo. These are some of my favorites.

212-m.png
->
212-m.png

488.png
->
488.png

491.png
->
491.png

184.png
->
184.png

134.png
->
134.png

464-m.png
->
464-m.png

Garchomp, Weavile, Tentacruel, and Gengar have derpy sprites, though.

Years
Yeah I agree with Blade, a lot of the Platinum sprites actually look really good.

Pachirisu looks even cuter than its D/P sprite, and I do like Buizel's pose as well.

Years
Yes I can see why you think they are silly but I think they are cool :) I like seeing the Pokemon "in action," rather than just seeing them stood there

RedWarrior702

Returning to the community!
Years
To me, the sprites that are totally redone (like Scizor and Giratina) look great. It's the ones that are just secondary sprites like Golbat and Steelix that I feel are out of place.
Platinum itself is one of my favorite games :D The occasional "repeat" sprite isn't a problem when just about everything else about the game is so great.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Personally I like most if not all of the sprites in Platinum. Infernape, Garchomp, Dialga, and Palkia would have to be my favorites though.

Sirfetch’d

Like Blade said, Platinum was one of the best games in terms of sprites. I know that a lot of my favorite Pokemon sprites come from that game including Yanmega, Scizor, Heracross and many more!

Years
Admittedly, they do have some cool sprites in that game, like Empoleon, Flareon, Houndoom and Electivire to name some. But it's mostly the ones that are basically the second frame animation that I don't like.

026-m.png
- Another stupid sprite example, it looks like it's gonna hump someone.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
There may have been a few carbon copies of sprites from Diamond and Pearl to Platinum, but you know what? It didn't really bother me. I think they did a great job with the sprites in Platinum. And hey, you're going to get a few sprites that aren't too dazzling but that's natural. (:

Last edited:

MaoMint

☘ 小猫咪 ☘
Years
Admittedly, they do have some cool sprites in that game, like Empoleon, Flareon, Houndoom and Electivire to name some. But it's mostly the ones that are basically the second frame animation that I don't like.

026-m.png

I actually think that Raichu is adorable. 3:

Years

026-m.png

Aww, that is a brilliant Raichu! I love it :)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
399-m.png

^uhh... why is it's head turned? it looks wierd

396-m.png

^same reason

402-m.png

^why are you about to breakdance?

406-m.png

^don't fall over backwards...

...you get the idea

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
While I think some sprites look better in Platinum than in DP, I don't like Nidoran(f)'s Platinum sprite. Its DP sprite looks cuter in my opinion while its Platinum sprite makes it look slightly angry. I don't get why they had to change it.

DP
Spr_4d_029.png

Platinum
Spr_4p_029.png

Also, Primape's sprite has always made me laugh. Just look at its nose. XD
Spr_4p_057.png

Back