• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kingdom Hearts

Years
I'm really sorry if there's a thread about this somewhere (I'm shocked there isn't one already) but I have tried searching for one. Feel free to lock this and point me in the right direction if not.

I'm currently experiencing this for the first time this year with the newly released final mix edition on the PS3. I have to say, it's a lot deeper than I thought; being part of Disney and what not. I started the game on Proud - the hardest difficulty and I'm near the end. (reached a difficult a bit)

But yeah, what do you guys think about the series?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
It started out fine with the first game but got too out of track later on.

As a Disney fan, it did not live to its promise. At all.

Pikachuie

Go Seahawks!
Years
I love Kingdom hearts but every says that most of the other games than the 1 and 2 are just pointless i dont know if they are but I love the games in fact it's been a long time with me not playing it (My sister deleted saves for both games) but I might get the 1.5 HD remake just for fun and play it once again and start playing 1 and 2 on my PS2

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Kingdom Hearts was a staple in my adolescents. I've played the first one and beaten it countless times.

My biggest and proudest moment was beating KH1 100%. All the Dalmatians, Beat the Hades Cup, Beat Sephiroth and the Ice Titans. And I finally got to see the post-credit ending for Kingdom Hearts II before it was released. The one where Roxas and Riku fight.

Suffice it to say, I love that game and all it's incarnations.

Years
It started out fine with the first game but got too out of track later on.

As a Disney fan, it did not live to its promise. At all.

Well, I'm not sure what it promised but I'm enjoying it so far. Obviously I have a lot of other games in the series to get through.

I love Kingdom hearts but every says that most of the other games than the 1 and 2 are just pointless i dont know if they are but I love the games in fact it's been a long time with me not playing it (My sister deleted saves for both games) but I might get the 1.5 HD remake just for fun and play it once again and start playing 1 and 2 on my PS2

I've heard the story can be hard to follow if you don't play the games in order but I'm going to try and keep up :D

Kingdom Hearts was a staple in my adolescents. I've played the first one and beaten it countless times.

My biggest and proudest moment was beating KH1 100%. All the Dalmatians, Beat the Hades Cup, Beat Sephiroth and the Ice Titans. And I finally got to see the post-credit ending for Kingdom Hearts II before it was released. The one where Roxas and Riku fight.

Suffice it to say, I love that game and all it's incarnations.

I can't beat the bit where you have to fight like, 10 waves of Heartless in the "End of the World" part. I keep getting destroyed by the flying bat type enemies. Grr!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
The promise that it'll appeal Disney fans. You'd think all the loved disney characters and franchises would play major roles and all that.

But right now, first game aside, all the Disney franchises were just a distraction. All they provided was just a theme, no real significant roles or anything. They felt like they were just...there, while the main characters (sora and all his terrible friends) end up being the main stars of the game, kinda dismissing the point on what KH was supposed to be. I don't wanna fight this weird shadowy figure as a final boss, I wanna fight Jafar in a major battle, or Hades. I don't care about this white haired dude's background, I wanna see what Simba and Mulan are doing. I don't wanna play in this random setting, I wanna play in Hundred Acre woods, or Atlantis. It was fine in the first game but as the series goes forward Disney doesn't feel like it even exists. I was happy to see Notre Dame in KH 3D but it felt barren overall, with no resemblance to the movie whatsoever...at least from what I saw from my brother's playthrough.

I couldn't care less about Sora and his friends, but I'm ok with him as a main character (even though Mickey Mouse would have made more sense but OK) since Square wanted their own style to be a part of the game...but it went to be a big part.

I'm also not a fan of the lack of Pixar...or maybe they don't want any of their franchises to be involved which is understandable considering they'll get the shaft anyway. Still would love an Incredibles or Monsters Inc. world if they'll actually get them right. >_>

EDIT: As for the games themselves...eh. I'm not a fan of the gameplay. And the level design is terrible.

Years
I do think Disney characters could play a bigger role in the game. I know the first KH has the princesses but they don't establish a link to their respective games except from where they have been kidnapped from. I agree that Disney is used as a filler for the bigger story but I personally do like the little impact they make in the story. If I wanted to play a Disney game, I'd play a Disney game and the same applies for Final Fantasy. I do think however that if the story was not as strong as it is, there wouldn't be as much of an appeal for the game. That and the soundtrack. I grew up with Disney films so there's nostalgia there but I'm content with how my experience has started out.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Kingdom Hearts *Discussion*

Kingdom_Hearts_logo.png

Have you guys ever played a game from the Kingdom hearts series, or at least, heard of Kingdom Hearts? What do you think of the whole Kingdom Hearts aspect - where they feature a mixture of familiar Disney and Square Enix characters? Speaking of which.. who are your favorite characters in the game?

Well, those are just some questions to think about! Feel free to talk about everything Kingdom-Hearts related here!

Years
I like how Nobodies provides a vehicle to discuss identity and what it means to be "real". I really like Riku's character: his darkness, his jealousy, his self-discovery, and how he simply isn't the hero.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
hellokhthreadmynameislightningnicetomeetyou OK INTRODUCTIONS OUT OF THE WAY

KINGDOM HEARTS 2.5 HD REMIX WAS ANNOUNCED FOR PS3 TODAY AAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

It'll include KH2FM, BBSFM, and Re:Coded cutscenes. I am beyond excited about this. Birth by Sleep is far and away my favourite video game of all time and the FM version of it was excellent. It wasn't crazy different from the BBS that released here but there were a fair few extras, so I'm glad other people will get to experience them. I guess more important to other people are all the extras in KH2FM which was a phenomenal game but... eh. I'm just really excited for an excuse to play the hell out of BBS again. ♥

I imagine it'll probably be released late March in Japan like most KH games and late summer/early Autumn in NA, but there's no actual news beyond the announcement so far. WHO ELSE IS EXCITED???

Mystify

confused
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 10, 2020
I actually first started the series with 358/2 Days when it came out. I enjoyed it enough to immediately buy a PS2 to play 1 and 2. I can say that the series is getting sort of out there with all the other games being released and all, but I still like playing them and don't mind them too much. The only game I started but didn't finish was Dream Drop Distance. I couldn't really get into it and stopped somewhere during Tron's world. I will complete it some day though. Interestingly enough, I liked Chain of Memories more than that one and so many people hate it. Birth by Sleep... That one blew me away, 10/10 would recommend.

I'm still thinking about whether I should buy 1.5. I've been trying to save money lately and I'm not sure it's worth it since I've beaten all the games on it, save for the first game being the final mix edition. I might stick to eagerly awaiting KH3.

Cherrim

Years
Oh wow, really? I'm always surprised when I hear people started with Days because I've always considered that one to be one of the more inaccessible ones for people unfamiliar with the series. I'm glad you stuck with it, though, and I completely agree about BBS haha. ♥

I don't think KHFM is that worth it, honestly. If you played COM instead of Re:COM it might be worth it but otherwise there isn't a whole lot added in this version compared to the original NA release. If you wanna go back and play KH1 specifically, yeah it's a good buy, but if you aren't planning on replaying the games anytime soon, it's not really a vital purchase. :x

Mystify

confused
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 10, 2020
I'd already seen videos of KH years before Days came out, so when I saw it in a Target ad I was like "Yay, I can finally play one of these games now". I had a DS already, so it was an easy way for me to get into it.

I've never played CoM, just Re:CoM so I guess getting 1.5 would be pointless for me. I'm watching SSoHPKC play through KH:FM on YouTube and I'm content with that, haha. Maybe when I'm not penny-pinching I'll give in and buy it.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Game time question! In Kingdom Hearts 2 and ReCom, who do you believe was the hardest Organization XIII member?

Cherrim

Years
I had so much trouble with Marluxia's first form in the original COM. Mind you, I was like 20 levels underlevelled when I attempted him the first time but I got so frustrated that I hated him for years. (He is now my favourite member by far.) In Re:COM, I don't remember having much trouble with anyone. I guess Larxene is kind of annoying when you aren't Sonic Raving your way through the game, though.

In KH2, I remember having a LOT of trouble with Xaldin the first time I played, but never again since. In KH2FM, Lexaeus and Larxene definitely gave me the biggest trouble. I don't think I ever did manage to beat them myself--my roommate and I shared completion duties on that file, so I think he managed them in the end because I never could.
I'd already seen videos of KH years before Days came out, so when I saw it in a Target ad I was like "Yay, I can finally play one of these games now". I had a DS already, so it was an easy way for me to get into it.

I've never played CoM, just Re:CoM so I guess getting 1.5 would be pointless for me. I'm watching SSoHPKC play through KH:FM on YouTube and I'm content with that, haha. Maybe when I'm not penny-pinching I'll give in and buy it.
Ahh, I see. I guess that would make it easier to pick up.

Yeah, if you're watching an LP, I think that'd be enough. The only major additions compared to NA are the few extra scenes which you'd see and then minor control updates (like cutscene skipping, triangle shortcuts, camera control, etc.) so I don't think it'd be enough of a difference to be worth it. HD releases go on sale for <$20 fairly often once they've been out long enough though so if that's a price point that works for you, I'd just pick it up then. :P

Years
Oh, Kingdom Hearts... I bet all you guys get my username. xD I first played the original KH the year it came out, and I've bought every game since (Except FMs and 1.5, although I plan on getting 1.5 when I get a PS3). It's definitely my favorite game franchise of all time! The story is excellently written, the characters all have their own charm, the gameplay is incredibly fun and isn't afraid to try something new, and the music is beautifully composed. My favorite game in the series is the first one on PS2, and I can't wait until 3 comes out!

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
I'm always surprised when I hear people started with Days because I've always considered that one to be one of the more inaccessible ones for people unfamiliar with the series.

Chalk me up as another one who started with Days, which I honestly only got it because it was the only DS KH game out. I thought it was really, really awful.

Kingdom Hearts is one of those series I have a funny relationship with. The lock-on system can sometimes be irksome and the art style... always feels like it's trying to hard to be edge and dark (considering your universe has Daffy Duck in doesn't help). The level design doesn't help sometime either, as it can be sometimes be very convoluted.

I've played 3 games in the series so far, 358/2 Days (which was rubbish), 3D (which was okay) and Birth By Sleep (which I need to complete because I really enjoyed it). I would never consider myself a fan of the series, but I find it easily one of the most interesting video game series of all time.

I guess I might have a more favourable opinion on the series when I finish BBS, and I should really play a main series game just to see if playing some of the side games was a bad way to get into the series.

Skalla

Drama Queen
Years
Oh boy, I sure do love me some Kingdom Hearts. Couldn't tell from my avatar and signature?

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are incredible, they're basically my childhood aside from Sonic and Pokemon, and Birth By Sleep is one of the only two reasons I've kept my PSP all these years.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Love, love LOVE the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Started playing the games on PS2 as a younger kid and have played and beaten all of the games except for the Remixes and Birth By Sleep. Grpwing up with Disney, I thought that there was plenty of the Disney aspect involved i nthe game. I mean this isn't a game like Epic Mickey, the use of Disney characters isn't the main point of the game. I think that the Disney characters provide great support, but for the most part the are not the main part of the game. The game should focus on Sora, Riku and Kairi. I believe that has been the case for the most part.

The last KH game that I played was Kingdom Hearts DDD during the summer on 3DS. A very well created game, on my top ten list for 3DS games. I love how Square Enix incorporated TWEWY characters into the game. I hope to see that with Kingdom Hearts 3, and anythign further on in the series if it goes past KH 3. My favorite game owuld have to be Kingdom Hearts 2. The story for KH 2 wasn't as good as the original KH, but the gameplay was a lot better imo. Overall, Square Enix has done a fantastic job with this series.

Back