• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your first Pokémon experience?

Years
  • Seen May 20, 2013
Mine was pokemon gold that my mum brought, we have always been a mario family so I was interested in pokemon but I was too young to read so mum sold it.. she then bought me pokemon red when I learnt to read a bit.

tnfsf11

I first knew Pokemon when I watched the anime :)
The first game I played was Pokemon Gold, the motion in it used to hurt my eyes a little bit, then anytime I finish playing I see everything a bit blurry and doubled :nervous: hehehe

Pancake

Old-Schooler
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 14, 2013
Thinking about it, I'm having nostalgic flashbacks now... I vividly remember the original ads for Pokemon red and blue versions, I was only 5 or 6 at the time, but I remember seeing the ad and thinking that sounds awesome! I had blue and my sister had red. For a couple of weeks we had to share an old monster green scale gameboy before I got a gameboy pocket :P I never really got into the anime, but I do have a few VHS tapes from the first season laying around somewhere...

Rissa_Napier23

The Lass Class Trainer
Years
Hmm... I believe I was at my cousin's house, and he was playing Yellow. I remember for the longest time, I wasn't allowed to play Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh or anything like that, but my cousin let me borrow his Gameboy Color and Pokemon Red.

I miss those things. ;~;

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
Hmm...well, I recall playing Pokemon Stadium and watching a couple of maybe Johto episodes a lo~ong time ago, when I was like 5, but my parents thought it was demonic, so I wasn't able to really play or watch the show anymore.

Then in 5th Grade my sister's new boyfriend had gotten a new DS, and gave his old one to me, and I noticed it had a game in it: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team. Once I began playing that, I became an avid fan of Pokemon ever since, buying Pokemon Diamond shortly afterwards...

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
My first experience I remember is watching Pokémon anime by rental VCD. I remember one of the episodes I watched is when Pikachu is against Raichu (Season 1).

Isasapiens

A pine tree...
Years
I remember when I was a toddler, and I was browsing the tv, and it was showing the first episode of the pokemon anime. I immediatly liked the show, and subsequently, the games, when I got a sapphire copy.

eXeMegadeth

Why are we here?
Years
It was back when I was 6, I got pokemon Ruby (Sapphire is better) because I liked the anime and found out about the games. When I started I had no clue what I was doing. I thought I would have to give up right there. Thank god I didn't, if so I would have never know about black/white 2 which were amazing games, as well has never starting to play competitive.

Years
I'm not sure if it was Pokémon Stadium, the trading cards or the anime lol, I have many fond early memories of my experiences but I can't quite remember my first one, it was one of the three lol :)

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
My first experience with the franchise was when in 1999 when I was eleven. First I bought a magazine that had a Super Smash Bros review, and was puzzled about what this new character called Pikachu was supposed to be.

After that in France we had promotional comic books released and given away for free at Toys'R'Us stores. Each comic book was an episode of the anime in comic book form and three or four articles about the games. And that's when I started to be interested, more by the game than the animé. I did start to watch the animé, but remember losing interest around episode 6 or 7. A few months later I got to try the game on a friend's Gameboy (I didn't have one back then) and was immediately hooked. I got a Gameboy Pocket for my birthday in 2000 and Pokémon Blue a few weeks later.

After that I tried following the animé again just to see what treatment different gyms would get in the animated form (just like reading a book then watching its movie adaptation, you know) , but I gave up rather quickly and ended up hating the animé with a passion. I still love the games though.

BeausaHD

The Beau In HD
Years
My first experience in Pokemon was actually Pokemon Pearl, I had never payed any attention to the shows because I thought it was babyish, but then when I bought Pearl my opinion changed :)

Years
I remember when I was five my mom took me to the store to buy Pokemon Yellow, but for some reason I insisted on Blue even though a guy at the store told me Yellow was better. Maybe it was because all my friends had Blue.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
Years
I honestly cannot remember. Probably watching the first series on SMTV live, with Ant and Dec dressing up as the characters and stuff (so funny)And pplaying my Bros yellow until one birthday (between 4-8) i got a pikachu gameboy and pokemon Gold , and i later bought my own yellow, and crystal, and the rest is history

Back