• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
People are starting to forget this thread exists.

Anyway, my first time playing Sapphire, I picked Torchic. I remember when I bought the game and I thought Torchic was called "Porchic" and I told my dad that I was picking it. lmao 10 year olds. And, keeping with the Fire type tradition, I picked Charmander in FireRed. Luckily I knew how to pronounce Charmander.

digimonqueen

Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend
Years
For my Emerald game i usually chose Mudkip. I love cute starters. Then for Ruby i chose Torchic. Finally, Sapphire, back to Mudkip again (i don't like Treecko). For Fire Red and Leaf Green it is always either Bulbasaur or Squirtle. I chose Charmander ONCE and got my butt kicked the WHOLE game. i will NEVER do that again. it took me i think 8 tries to beat Brock with Charmander. he drained me of ALL my money. after that, no more Charmander. it's not that i don't LIKE Charmander. i do, he's one of my favorite Pokemon. but he's just not that good.

Clonehunter

Clones Be Wary
Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2013
Treecko and Charmander. I like both Grass and Water types, so may as well. I think I tried Mudkip once though and he was pretty nice, but I just like Treecko too much.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Always the Fire starter. So, Charmander and Torchic.

Charmander is pretty boss in FRLG. IMO the best starter. Bulbasaur has advantage against gyms, but when he's at a disadvantage, he can't do crap (Pokémon Tower for example). Squirtle doesn't really excel at anything and is outshone by the likes of Lapras and Starmie. Charizard is great for all-purpose strength and Flamethrower puts a dent on anything.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Fire Red- Charmander (favorite Pokemon, oldest friend)

Leaf Green- Bulbasaur (mascot Pokemon, only seemed right)

Emerald- The first time I played it,m I chose Treeko (coolest of the bunch). The second time, I chose Mudkip (basically soloed the game with a Swampert lol).

Years
Torchic and Bulbasaur.

I like Mudkip and Squirtle. I don't really like Treecko and I hate Charmander

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
Fire Red - Squirtle ( i love all three starters from this gen. it really took me a bit to decide on which i wanted to choose) Love all the evolutions from the GENIII starters!

Ruby - Torchic (i didn't really care for Torchic but i liked it's evolutions. overall i didn't care for either of the three starters in Ruby although the evolutions were nice)

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
Treeko the first time I played Ruby ever since then Torchic but I always pick Charmander In Fire Red

Gzomyndzor

Nature/Egg Move/IV Breeder
Years
Fire Red - Bulbasaur
Sapphire - Mudkip
My Mudkip (called MUDDY) has stayed with me ever since, and is now a lvl100 swampert ^_^! He is currently chilling on my pokemon White game.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
In leaf green I chose squirtle who has always been my favorite starter pokemon. He may not be the power house Charizard is, but he stands hoi ground and packs a decent punch when raised right.

In ruby, which I am playing for the first time right now, I picked treecko. Mostly because I had pokemon of the other starters types i really wanted to use, crawdaunt for water and hariyama for fighting.

Years
I picked Charmander in FR. I tried the others after I got squashed by Brock in the first gym, but it still wasn't the same with Squirtle and Bulbasaur. Never chose Bulbasaur, perhaps I thought it was a bit too creepy since it didn't look like it had a nose. I chose Torchic first in emerald, but I switched to Mudkip pretty soon. I don't know why I love Water Ground types so much.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
For FR/LG, I chose

ani004.gif

And for RSE, I chose

150px-255Torchic.png

Love, love, love the fire Poke's... especially the starters. :)

satotaku

Generation 1's last hope
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Bulbasaur, grass types have been my go to for quite some time and it's only Gen 6 that has made a grass starter I have ZERO interest in, going with Froakie this time.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
In my Firered I choosed Charmander, and in Emerald I choosed Treecko. Both pretty cool.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
RSE: I liked using all three but the one I used the most was Mudkip.
FR/LG: I used both Squirtle and Charmander about the same. Only used Bulbasaur once.

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
mudkip-squirtle-totodile-piplup-oshawott- and the froggy thing
because water type is... is.. awesome!

Vei

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 5, 2014
In Sapphire, I picked Torchic.
In Emerald, I picked Treecko.