• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Most Difficult Gym

The Most Difficult Gym ^_^

• Rock type gym

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Fighting type gym

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Electric type gym

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Fire type gym

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Normal type gym

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Flying type gym

• Psychic type gym

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Water type gym

• Total voters

SomaQL

The Varia Suit
Years
I would just like to point out that Watson is just really overpowered. You can't effectively get past his magneton unless you've picked Torchic, caught and trained a Makuhita, Breloom, or hacked in a pokemon. Really annoying fight

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
I would just like to point out that Watson is just really overpowered. You can't effectively get past his magneton unless you've picked Torchic, caught and trained a Makuhita, Breloom, or hacked in a pokemon. Really annoying fight

You can also choose Mudkip and evolve it into Marshtomp. Protection from that nasty Shock Wave is always nice.

Anyway, the gyms that gave me problems were the Fighting and Psychic gyms, and in Emerald the Water gym too.

Well, the psychic gym was hard until I discovered you can easily win with the Dark Types in the game - pretty nice they give you some early on.

The last 2 gym puzzles were irritating too.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I know that a lot of people are going to say Tate and Liza were hard, but for me, they weren't. I had a Sceptile on my team. My Sceptile knew Leaf Blade, so I was able to defeat most of their Pokémon with the help of this move. The most difficult Hoenn gym leader was, in my opinion, Juan. He had a powerful Kingdra, which becomes nearly impossible to attack when it uses Double Team. Every time I manage to lower its HP, it restores itself back to full health by using Rest.

Ruben967

Lights they blind me
Years
Tate & Liza. That Claydol Earthquake got me tons of times and I couldn't do much to it >-<
Norman was quite hard too, that Slaking hits hard :/

Feindseligkeit

Mew Mew!
Years
Wattson. Hands down. No ground types and his Magneton spammed Supersonic until it hit. And then the hit-by-confusion almost every other time. I hated it. :(

Years
Norman. Those Slakings are just monstrous. He did have one of those Slaking replaced in Emerald, but Spinda can be just stupid with Teeter Dance and Linoone has that sneaky Belly Drum. D:

Brizz

TM87
Years
After doing a Fighting Monotype challenge in Pokemon Emerald, I can say that Tate and Liza were probably the toughest gym leaders I had ever faced in my life. Even without a Fighting monotype it's tough just to land any sort of super effective move on their Psychic types.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
Here's a tip for those of you who struggle against Tate and Liza - Use Dark Types. Eliminate the Solrock first (or everything but the Lunatone in Emerald). The Lunatone can't harm Dark types in any way. Might take a while though, Calm Mind reduces the effectiveness of moves requiring the Special Attack stat. Which Dark moves were in generations 2-3.

Although if you're going for a monotype challenge, this may prove impossible unless said type is Dark (or grass. Remember Nuzleaf/Shiftry).

Years
Every play through Wattson and Winona always gave me alot of trouble. My frustration towards Wattson is that I never seem to have an adequate ground pokemon to use. With Winona the combination of Altaria and Aerial Ace wrecked my party easily.

Hiresh

POKEMON LEGEND
Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2013
Norman was obviously the hardest in my opinion
I didnt had any fighting type
And it took me like an half hour only to kill that Slaking D:

KnockFan

Just a Beginner ...
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
During a nuzlocke run for Sapphire, I consider Tate & Liza (Psychic twins) to be the hardest. The reason is that I underestimated them and they were about to end my nuzlocke right there.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
In terms of puzzle, I had a hard time with Winona's. The doors were too confusing. In terms of actual battling, it was Wallace. That Milotic was very hard to beat.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
By far the toughest gym for me was Whitney's in soulnsilver, i competly underestimated her and i got pwned by athat milktank with milkdrink, all in all, it took wile to beat here. To this day, all of the times i have restarted the game, i have never beaten her on the first try.

Well, i just realized that this is for ruby, sapphire and emerald, so for those games i would half to say the psychic twins, hands down

Last edited:
Years
The twins were the hardest by far. My team was under-leveled when I got to them and it took ages to beat them. That Claydol gave me nightmares!!!!

Norman was the second hardest. That Slaking was tough.

Brawly was not easy either. Had to go back and catch a Ralts and a Tailow. I didn't want to bother with those two but needed to to beat him.

Juan, to me, was probably the easiest. I ran through the whole gym trainers and leader without bothering to go out to the PokeCentre.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Twins, I only had 1 pokemon that I could use to fight the rest were underleveled and I was doomed

Back