• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is anyone ditching their starter?

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013
I ditched servine on my first playthrough of black 2 for heracross, but I chose oshawott the second time and its really very good. Even if I keep purely for the 3 Water HM's.

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2013
i like my emboar i'm still before e4 my team is emboar lv 57 golduck lv 57 maractus lv 57 lucario lv 57 sigilyph lv 56 and a ampharos lv 57 i used this team for all but one of the gym's i used a trapinch for the electric gym but used my team for everything else

useing legendaries to beat the game is lame i only use my legendaries after i beat the e4 to help power lv my weak pokemon. my favorite type has always been phychic's and there are more phychic legiondaries than any other type but i save them to use after e4

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I ditched my starter on every single Gen V playthrough I've done, except for Black with Emboar. Tepig is by far the only one I respect out of the Gen V starters.

In this current White 2 playthrough I'm using a Venusaur instead haha

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Yeah. I've stopped just short of making the final decision to just leave her in the box, but my starter for B2 was Snivy, so... yeah. I knew the problems going into it, but I wanted to give it a shot anyway. But I just spent some time in Relic Passage and just got sick and tired of Servine barely managing to even two-shot Sandiles. Leavanny or Lilligant can one-shot them without even really trying and Servine can barely even TWO-shot them. That's just pathetic. Sure I could hang on until it's Serperior and picks up Coil and Leaf Blade, but by then, Leavanny could have Leaf Blade too, and could hit at least as hard with it and without wasting a turn to set up. I just see absolutely nothing to be gained from continuing to use Servine, other than to get it evolved to Serperior, just so that I can know that I gave it a shot and comfortably never use one again.

In the other games though - I don't feel any great attachment to starters, and over the years have probably finished as many games without them as with them. But in this gen, I finished White with Emboar on my team. That is to say - the first time through the E4. I haven't made it back to re-challenge them, and I'm pretty sure that Emboar won't be on whatever team I end up taking for that, but at least he did make it all the way through 'til the credits. On Black, I'm saved at the foot of Victory Road (can't quite manage to work up the initiative to plow through there) and Samurott is still on my team, and will probably be through the E4, though much more because of the lack of waters in the Unova dex than any desire to use Samurott specifically. And I'm certain he won't stay on the team post-E4, with all the water types that become available in the post-game.

Last edited:

Yiazmat

going ham since 93'
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 6, 2013
Ditched my starter just after clay because Samurott's suck. :/

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
I did... :( After the third gym or so I just got rid of my Serperior. I love Snivy and everything, and I'll be training it up now in the post game, but it just wasn't fitting into my team well. I felt so bad about it...

jov0006

Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!
Years
In bw i had all three starters and i used all of them until i caught reshi and kicked samurott out. So in bw2 i just decided to use none. Zoroark has pretty much replaced them anyway

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
I normally ditch my starter pokemon after the 2nd to 3rd gym. I guess they aren't as unique as I'd like them to be since they are starters. The only starters I actually care for are the ones in Kanto and Johto.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
So far, nope I haven't. I never do. In Black 2, (my main game) I picked Tepig and he's turning out to be pretty good. In White , I originally was gonna pick Tepig cause I didn't like Snivy but alot of people suggested I do and I wasn't disappointed. Though I still wish I went Tepig cause he's proving to be a pretty good Pokemon as well. In White 2 I picked Oshawott cause my brother say I should cause it's the only Unova starter he likes. I haven't gotten too far to judge how good he is but I hear Samurott is great. Sure they're never the best Pokemon since they're only a starter, but I tend to get attached to them so it's hard for me to just box them even after the post game. But usually they stay in my party until I beat the story, but I still always have a set team so it never stay in the PC for forever.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
No...I never ditch my starter. They're,like, your first PKMN to the protagonist. So no, I don't ditch them.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I've played through White Version with each of the starters, and my favorite is definitely Emboar. Samurott was kinda lackluster, and Serperior was just... awful, to put it nicely. I'm going to restart my White Version soon and play through with Emboar again, sometime before XY comes out.

Shikai

Fight for the name of Pokemon
Years
When I first played I wanted to ditch my oshowatt but It went a far way. I beat the league whit it but I couldn't beat my rival. His pokemon levels were higher than mine. So I restarted and chose snivy which I also beat the league with but I still wasn't satisfied. Now I'm using Tepig and yes coin great

Years
I'm not sure since I stopped playing after I got my 3rd badge. I started with Snivy in White 2 (choose Oshawott in Black), I mainly choose Snivy because I prefer Serperior more than Emboar. My first runthrough of the game I always don't think about the important stuff like IVs, EVs, natures, anything. I mainly focus on having fun because the game is easy as it is. I only do competitive battling after completing the main game. It makes the experience more enjoyable for me.

I don't have a team in mind most of the time when I play, but I never like to ditch my starter. The only time I did was in P/D/Plat. I don't like the starters in that game very much...

So, the long awaited answer to this question: Probably not.

Sir Codin

I actually ditched my starter for the first time on this game. Made things more interesting. Think I'll do it again for SoulSilver.

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2014
In Black, I kept my starter in my team, even when I though it to be well weak.

In White 2, I ditched my starter for a Sandile, RPing the Sandile as my starter. It was pretty nice, now it's level 100 along my Hall of Fame team :)

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Well, if I picked Snivy as my starter I'd always ditch it, as he has no redeeming qualities over the two other starters. Tepig's evolutions have the wonderful Fire/Fighting combo, and Oshawott is a great HM Slave (it's final evolution leams 5 different HM moves).

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I've never ditched a starter outside of chalenges and I find them pretty useful. Especially Serperior who I use in competitive play. My Serperior holds its own in battles and I even knocked out an entire team using it (I bet he was surprised!) so yah, I still use my starter, even post-game.

CM Ryder

Raimei no Yusha
Years
Ditching my starter in my latest White 2 run, mainly because I've just grown to despise the Unova starters. I haven't properly LIKED a starter since Gen 3. So ditching Snivy, treating Riolu like my starter.

Back