• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of battling do you prefer?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So the different types vary, there are now doubles, singles, triples, rotationals and probably something I'm forgetting! Which do you prefer? Why?

Would you be willing to try the other types of battling if given the chance (or if it was heavily promoted here)? Why or why not?

Sirfetch’d

I really just stick to single battles because they give you a better advantage, IMO. In battles when there are more than one Pokemon you have to strategize for two or more Pokemon making it harder. Also strong moves like Surf and Earthquake can't be used often because you will kill your own pokemon. So yeah Single battles are for me.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
I really just stick to single battles because they give you a better advantage, IMO. In battles when there are more than one Pokemon you have to strategize for two or more Pokemon making it harder. Also strong moves like Surf and Earthquake can't be used often because you will kill your own pokemon. So yeah Single battles are for me.

Surf doesn't necessarily kill your own pokemon or your allies. The attack goes adjacent from where you launch the blow. Only Earthquake can most likely kill your allies pokemon and what's adjacent. But, that is depending on it's Immunity and Resistance.

FYI, I generally like all types of battles, whether they are doubles, singles, triples, or rotational. They all have their own uniqueness to them and taste. And they add a sense of Challenge too.

Sirfetch’d

Surf doesn't necessarily kill your own pokemon or your allies. The attack goes adjacent from where you launch the blow. Only Earthquake can most likely kill your allies pokemon and what's adjacent. But, that is depending on it's Immunity and Resistance.

Surf actually can kill your allies

From Bulbapedia:

Same as the previous generation; however, in Double and Triple Battles, Surf will hit all other adjacent Pokémon, including allies.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Surf won't necessarily kill your allies though, not if they have Water Absorb! It can be an advantage. ;)

Singles for me tho. Mac was telling me about doubles earlier but I'm not sure I can easily get into it :(

Sirfetch’d

Surf won't necessarily kill your allies though, not if they have Water Absorb! It can be an advantage. ;)

Singles for me tho. Mac was telling me about doubles earlier but I'm not sure I can easily get into it :(
True surf doesn't neciesarily kill your allies, but more often than not It will leave you at a disadvantage. Same with Earthquake. I just wanted to bring up that the reason I hate Triple battles is because most of the time you cant hit the Pokemon farthest away which sometimes can be a real pain if the others have a type disadvantage or are weaker. I haven't really done many rotational battles. I guess that is because I have the White versions.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I like singles a lot! Out of the others I like Triples because it's actually kinda hard (ingame) especially in W2 with all of the level ups. I haven't played anything else other than Singles competitively (nobody really wants to and I haven't really learned Doubles anyway)

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Singles. The others are just sort of novelty for me. I don't have the time to figure out how each type of battle works and imo it would just make my overprediction problem worse :(

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
You just have to know when to use Surf and how to get around or absorb the backlash of it. I run a rain doubles team so first thing I had to learn was to get around the self-inflicted damage. Oftentimes it's a non-issue because your opponent will have pokemon out that there's better moves to be used than Surf. It's a situational thing. Wiff that said, I battle singles, doubles and triples. Rotational is too random for me.

Singles - standard is standard which I don't bother with but with interesting banlists and rules worked around, it can be interesting.

Doubles - VGC! VGC! VGC!

Triples - Only in PWT but it is fun.

Years
I actually love Rotation and Triple Battles a lot, mainly cos it added new strategies to the 5th Generation battling system.

Rotations are always fun cos you never know when your opponent is planning to rotate into a weakness, a resistance or even a surprise set-up. I do them in the Pokemon World Tournament in Black 2 a lot. Maybe this was why I picked Black and Black 2 over their counterparts lol :D

Triple Battles brought new strategies that I really loved. My main trick is ganging up on one foe, like basically beating up one opponent and then focus on another. Also, I like how the position matters where your attacks will land, and the fact most Flying-type attacks (and also Water Pulse/Dragon Pulse) can hit a Pokemon that would normally be out of reach should you be on the side.

Doubles are also a bit fun since I love the whole "ganging up on one opponent" strategy.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I actually like Single battle, Double battle, and especially Triple battle and Rotation battle.
In Triple battle, Pokemon positions are so important, but that would be no problem if I have move like Acrobatics and Dragon Pulse.
Rotation battle for me is quite challenging because I have to know when to rotate my Pokemon at the right time.

Devante77

Devante'
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 12, 2013
I like single battle and rotation. I guess I just prefer my pokemon to fight one-on-one, that way I have no excuses for when I just wasn't thinking clearly.

Thereaperofdeath19

The Rookie
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2018
hmm i like all of them battles types my fav was single for a real long time but now it is rotation battles for me

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I'd like to watch more rotations but I've found a place in triples myself.
Singles are just boring in relation; it's like if any other RPG only let you send in your party members one at a time.

Midnight-Kitteh

Feline and Ghost Trainer
Years
I prefer double battles that way there is more chance one of my pokemon will have a super-effective move, it also enables me to share their abilities or use one for stat reduction.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I was a bit worried about this GBU because it was Rotation, something I hadn't really ever played before. But I ended up doing really well and enjoyed Rotation a lot.

I guess for me it would be Rotation/Singles > Doubles > Triples.

I must say though, I find VGC Doubles to be the most boring and hax-reliant metagame.

Back