• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Won't Nintendo Make a Pokemon Console Game?

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
So, I stumbled across interesting article that being written and published at Forbes about Pokemon. As this thread title suggest, its about the lacking of Pokemon titles in Nintendo's Console. Some worthwhile console game Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, Pokemon Stadium have been released in the past. But it seem Nintendo and Game Freak wouldn't take step beyond that, like creating a main series FOR consoles.

Here is the Article
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/01/09/why-wont-nintendo-make-a-pokemon-console-game/
You can see my badly written comment there, under the alias of Han Asra :P

What do you think about this article? Or the subject in general? Discuss.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
Pokemon is literally about carrying the monsters with you, not just in PokeBalls in the game, but on you DS/3DS in real life. Of course people want another XD or Colosseum, but you'd be more limited in interacting with other players. Of course Wi-Fi battles would be included on a home console and was the main focus of Battle Revolution, but the majority of fans agree that Battle Revolution was not really a good game.

Pokemon does its best on handhelds and honestly doesn't need to be on home consoles. Making something "bigger" won't make it better. An MMO is something won't be happening and doesn't need to since Wi-Fi common now, Pokemon is already basically an MMO. (Which doesn't make sense anyway, since the main plot of every Pokemon game is meant to be played alone.)

I have to disagree with the article's claim that GameFreak is oblivious to what would work and what the fans want. The fans have come up with every kind of suggestion for what would make the games supposedly better, but most of those ideas would ruin the franchise. (such as, make the games M-Rated for the adults!) GameFreak knows what they're doing, otherwise they'd have gone out of business long ago.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Pokemon is literally about carrying the monsters with you, not just in PokeBalls in the game, but on you DS/3DS in real life. Of course people want another XD or Colosseum, but you'd be more limited in interacting with other players. Of course Wi-Fi battles would be included on a home console and was the main focus of Battle Revolution, but the majority of fans agree that Battle Revolution was not really a good game.

Pokemon does its best on handhelds and honestly doesn't need to be on home consoles. Making something "bigger" won't make it better. An MMO is something won't be happening and doesn't need to since Wi-Fi common now, Pokemon is already basically an MMO. (Which doesn't make sense anyway, since the main plot of every Pokemon game is meant to be played alone.)

I have to disagree with the article's claim that GameFreak is oblivious to what would work and what the fans want. The fans have come up with every kind of suggestion for what would make the games supposedly better, but most of those ideas would ruin the franchise. (such as, make the games M-Rated for the adults!) GameFreak knows what they're doing, otherwise they'd have gone out of business long ago.

I could see what you mean. It is true that being a handheld game means Pokemon can live up to its reputation as "pocket monster" after all. But Like I said in my comment, people love choices. Pokemon isn't a game that need huge development budget like GTA IV and yet it sales more than any recent AAA titles. With that amoun of money, they could still develop the handheld main series along another spin-offs for consoles. Game Freak and Nintendo (despite their debt) would hardly lacking manpower or money to develop other game for console. A

They have basis of what they said that Game Freak and Nintendo kinda oblivious to what the fans really want. Because, you know, I'm pretty sure from bussiness perspective releasing a well developed Pokemon console for console means a lot for Nintend current console, the Wii U. Many people like would like to buy Wii U just for Pokemon alone I'm sure of that. And reminding that Nintend still have huge debt, this also mean more income as their console sells more. That is why they called Nintendo is oblivious not just to their fans, but also to themselves as well IMO.

I'm not asking the Pokemon title on console would rated M (That would too much I said. Let M-Rated content just in other media like manga or novel, if they are any). What I think is there should be T-rated Pokemon at least. BW is a huge step, but it was not enough since the execution done poorly.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The fans have absolutely no idea what they really want from a Pokemon game. GF has already confirmed that a Pokemon MMO will never happen because what's the point of being called "Pocket Monsters" when MMOs is really a PC thing. A T-rated Pokemon? Haven't you seen what they did to Sonic when they made Shadow the Hedgehog?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
First and foremost. NINTENDO Does NOT make Pokemon games. They just sell them.

Brief history: Stadium and Stadium 2 were both made by Creatures Inc. A Sister company to Pokemon Company who have shares with Pokemon. Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness were made by Genius Sonority. Genius Sonority has only been contracted to make 4 Pokemon games, while Creatures Inc takes most of the spin offs both in the past and presently.

As for "Fan Wants", based on sales figures, Fans prefer the handheld system games. They sell more than the home console ones. Gamefreak has no intention of ever bringing the main series to the Home Console, but we have Creatures Inc who will do that for us should TPC allow. The number of handheld spin offs increased more than console ones, they even tried to test out the possibility of bringing one of the bigger Spinoffs onto the home console which didn't do too well with sales.

While there are more vocal members screaming and demanding for specific changes, they are actually within the minority. Gamefreak has always given what the majority has asked for. They do listen to their fans, although majority of them are Japanese children.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
The fans have absolutely no idea what they really want from a Pokemon game. GF has already confirmed that a Pokemon MMO will never happen because what's the point of being called "Pocket Monsters" when MMOs is really a PC thing. A T-rated Pokemon? Haven't you seen what they did to Sonic when they made Shadow the Hedgehog?
That's what I called, poor execution my good chap. They've nearly done it with BW but miss a few critical steps. If One failure hold them back from another try, Nintendo wouldn't get off of their debt forever.
And no, Pokemon MMO is silly. I never like those idea as well. Am I saying anything that have implication that this is about Pokemon MMO?
First and foremost. NINTENDO Does NOT make Pokemon games. They just sell them.

Brief history: Stadium and Stadium 2 were both made by Creatures Inc. A Sister company to Pokemon Company who have shares with Pokemon. Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness were made by Genius Sonority. Genius Sonority has only been contracted to make 4 Pokemon games, while Creatures Inc takes most of the spin offs both in the past and presently.

As for "Fan Wants", based on sales figures, Fans prefer the handheld system games. They sell more than the home console ones. Gamefreak has no intention of ever bringing the main series to the Home Console, but we have Creatures Inc who will do that for us should TPC allow. The number of handheld spin offs increased more than console ones, they even tried to test out the possibility of bringing one of the bigger Spinoffs onto the home console which didn't do too well with sales.

While there are more vocal members screaming and demanding for specific changes, they are actually within the minority. Gamefreak has always given what the majority has asked for. They do listen to their fans, although majority of them are Japanese children.
Thanks for that brief history there, its news to me :D

Gamecube isn't a popular console to begin with, and we've just seen two (as I know) Pokemon title for Wii, which one of them, Pokemon Battle Revolution, done poorly compared to other Pokemon games. But still, that is because Nintendo too never being serious in the first place at all.

I couldn't argue with the bolded part. It is a fact and I know it despite I'm collecting many Pokemon fanarts which impossibly being drawn by ten years old. Yes, the majoriy of Pokemon, that is the main demographic for Pokemon games are Japanese Kids. These bulks would make older plans a minority when compared but they're number still big nonetheless.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Pokemon = Pocket + Monster

We will probably never get an actual main series game on console. It's the sad truth.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
That's what I called, poor execution my good chap. They've nearly done it with BW but miss a few critical steps. If One failure hold them back from another try, Nintendo wouldn't get off of their debt forever.

Swearing, use of firearms, and kudoz plot does not make a game good, nor is abandoning its soft-hearted appearance. Pokemon does not need to be someone's personal fanfic.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
It's because pokemon is a hand held bred winner if you made a console game better than the handhelds no one will buy future gens on ds / 3ds etc because once it goes on main consule all games after will have to have a main consule counter part

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
While the 3DS seems to making money in the classic game revival, I strongly believe that it is the Pokémon franchise that made Nintendo's portable systems successful. I think we will see the increase of the 3DS's sales when X/Y are released in October.
So there is no need to ruin (from Nintendo's point of view) a good run on the portable systems to strand the players on a couch. I would actually like to see more things like SS/HG's pokewalker in the future releases. Lets motivate young people to exercise with such a simple reward system.
As for the Wii, I wouldn't want to see anything more than DreamWorld or the WiFi/Link clubs of the past generations on the system. Perhaps a super sized GTS that is always online for broader trade options and perhaps mini tournaments.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Anything relating to the games belongs in Pokémon Gaming Central. So that's where this one shall go!

Moved.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The main reason for having Pokémon games in consoles was to see Pokémon in 3D. Now that the 3DS games are coming, there's no need for that. XY look better than Stadium on the N64.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
They have, its called Pokemon Colosseum and Stadium...
DERRRRPPPP

Colosseum and Stadium
1) Aren't made by gamefreak.
2) Aren't Main Pokemon titles.

OP asked why haven't Nintendo and Gamefreak produced a Main Title Pokemon Game on the home consoles?

Answer, Gamefreak doesn't want to and doesn't like the idea. Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon games so unless they make one, which will be a Spin Off if they do, it won't count.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I don't think they'll make a main series game for the wii U or anyother home device ever. Though I did find it weird that Generation V lacked one "main" stadium esk game (well 3 had 2 so there's an average of 1 per gen thanks to that ). Hopefully they'll have one for gen VI for the Wii U.

Years
Colosseum and Stadium
1) Aren't made by gamefreak.
2) Aren't Main Pokemon titles.

OP asked why haven't Nintendo and Gamefreak produced a Main Title Pokemon Game on the home consoles?

Answer, Gamefreak doesn't want to and doesn't like the idea. Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon games so unless they make one, which will be a Spin Off if they do, it won't count.

Xander's basically right. Generation 5 may have been the first generation to lack a Stadium-like game but main series are always released on the current handheld, which right now is the Nintendo 3DS.

Also, as he stated, Pokemon games made by Game Freak are always main series and therefore, aren't released for non-handhelds. Any Pokemon game not made by Game Freak is typically a spin-off.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I don't want a console game. Admittedly Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness are two of my all-time favorite Pokemon games, but they're separate from the main series, and they should stay like that.

Putting a main series game on a console would completely flip the Pokemon gaming franchise on its back.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2016
Pokémon sells a lot more in hand held devices. Making a game for a handheld device is much easier than making a game for console. And in the case of Pokémon it sells way more.
Also, a MMO would cost to much to mantain and would decrease signficantly the sells of the hand held games.

Back