• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Ew! It's a girl.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
as long as it's not :
female Abra line, Machop line, Makuhita line,
or
male Gothita line, Male gardevoir,
I'm fine with anything..

oh, wait,, female wobbuffet

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
Years
Personally, I prefer having a balance on my team, maybe around half male and half female, mostly as countermeasure for those with attract O3O

Though there were instances that I wanted specific genders for my Pokes, like my female Snivy and female Chikorita~

I got a White 2 game a few days back, and ended up with a female Oshawott without trying XD
I'm a bit disturbed by it... but yeah... I just accepted anyway ^^"

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Unless it's a Pokémon that makes sense or looks like it should be a girl, I really don't like female Pokémon. All of my teams in all of my Pokémon games that I have now are all male. The gender of a Pokémon matters more to me than its nature, in all honesty. If I am hunting for a particular Pokémon that's hard to find, and I come across a female, I usually run away and keep looking. I guess I'm a bit of a Pokémon sexist.

Does the gender of a Pokémon matter to you as much as it does to me?
Honest question: why do you think you have this attitude? 'Cause I used to be like this when I was younger, but can't really explain to myself why I felt this way. Nowadays, I don't care in the slightest what gender they are, but for a while I definitely did and can't explain why at all. It's very, very weird.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
I usually don't really care for the gender of my pokemon, with exceptions that pokemon that look very masculine be male (Machamp, Conkeldurr, etc) and feminine pokemon be female (Gardevoir, Lopuuny, etc.). However, I do have a weird obsession to try and keep my team even in genders. So that means three males and three females.

Years
I really don't have a preference if my Pokemon is either male or female, just as long as I don't have all 6 of the same gender on my team at once (I don't mind having 5 of one gender and one genderless, though, as long as it breaks it up).

And to be perfectly honest, I don't think I cared what my Pokemon was all the way back to Gold, other than coming up with a better suited nickname for them. Sure, some species might be a little more masculine or feminine looking, but that's no different from regular animals, either.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
If I have a name already picked out for the Pokemon that is gender specific then I aim for that gender. However, if I don't have a nickname picked out for a Pokemon then I'll catch the Pokemon first and then decide on a nickname depending on the gender. Beyond that it doesn't quite matter to me the gender. Especially if I'm not going to use the Pokemon, then I don't care if a masculine Pokemon is female and vice-versa because it's just going to be in the PC box for who knows how long.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
During the mid-early part of my gaming career, I only caught male Pokemon (because most of my Pokemon were female in my Ruby version), except when certain species were only one gender, or had more females than males. Later on, I eventually mellowed out and caught Pokemon regardless of gender.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I only care about it if I plan to breed the Pokemon or if it very obviously appears to be male when it really is female or the other way around.
For example, there is no way a male Bellossom will ever make it to my in-game team, nor a female Machoke.

If it's somewhat gender-neutral, then either is fine. I did SR for a female Bulbasaur though haha.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I don't think I ever cared about the gender of my Pokemon that much. If I have a particular nickname in mind, then I do get picky about it. The designs don't have any bearing on my decisions at all either. If it's a Pokemon and I want to catch it, I'll do so no matter what little symbol is next to its name.

Nakala Pri

Depending on it's design, I have female. That way I can breed if I want to and I have a good feeling about my Pokemon. Like I would have a male Sawk and a female Lopunny.

What's wrong with girls?? :O

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I used to want mostly male pokémon, but nowadays I don't discriminate and just go with whatever gender the pokémon I capture happens to be.

I always imagine my pokémon having personalities in the game, and some female pokémon that look manly can get really interesting personalities in my head xD Same for male pokémon in feminine bodies. Great examples are male Gardevoir and female Lucario.

Years
Haha, I was just thinking about this when getting a lot of female Pokemon for my LoL inspired team. I don't really have a preference, but I'm noticing a lot of my main team is male. The only time I'll really go out of my way to get a gender over another, is if the Pokemon is overly-masculine or overly-feminine. I won't get a female Machoke xD

I will get a female Mr. Mime, though... Ms. Mine. :3

Years
I usually don't care about the gender. And don't get me wrong, I do somewhat care about my pokemon in general. I always remember their nicknames, and usually remember things like nature, or the pokemon's moves, better than the gender. I think it's because the gender doesn't matter for most pokemon.

There was one time I wanted to get a vespiquen for my pokedex, and got a male combee and started training it. I thought my game was glitched because my combee didn't evolve >.>
I'm really oblivious sometimes lol

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I have to admit, when i was a kid, i would only use Male Pokemon.
And i remember getting super-mad when my Torchic in Sapphire was a female xD
Nower days though i really dont care, since it doesnt make any real differen (:
Au contraire, i find it pretty funny to catch a female version of a Pokemon that, by looks,
should clearly by a male, like Aggron or Tyranitar :D

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I don't mind which gender of Pokemon I catch. Gender isn't of any huge importance to me, but I do prefer a mixture of female and male Pokemon in my teams to make them look good. :P If I need a specific gender so that it can evolve to a specific Pokemon (Ralts/Combee comes into mind), I will only catch that gender of that Pokemon.

ReeDim

Pokémusician (H4XH4X0R)
Years
As someone who has never caught a shiny (Besides Gyarados) I generally search for females of my favourite Pokémon so that once I have beaten the Elite Four or whatever in W2, I want to try Pokémon breeding to try and get good movesets and perhaps even a shiny Pokémon, and of course, the offspring is the same species as the mother Pokémon. As well as some of the other people on this thread, I also like to keep gender ratio in my team fairly even, for some reason. However, there are of course some times when I view certain Pokémon as being either male or female. I got a Gothorita through a Dream World event some time ago, but it turned out to be male, which I thought was weird and kinda creepy.

ナギ

P r e p a r e .
Years
i'm the same as most. when i was younger, i didn't care much about what Pokémon's gender was, unless it was EXTREMELY gender-specific, like Machamp or Mr. Mime.

nowadays i tend to be a lot more picky, but only when it comes to certain Pokémon. for example, when catching my Scraggy, it had to be male, but when i ended up with a female Snivy when restarting for a good nature, i didn't mind at all. in fact, since i later noticed that all other Pokémon i wanted to use in my team were supposed to be male in my mind, i was glad i hadn't ended up with a male Snivy too! at least i had SOME gender-diversity now. {XD}

most Pokémon need to have a specific gender to fit my mind's image of them. but there's also some Pokémon i just don't know what to do with. for example, when playing RSE i was of course convinced that Roselia had to be female. but then Sinnoh popped up with ROSERADE... and suddenly i wasn't so sure anymore!

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
I am never really gender specific, only if catching Ralts (I like Gallade <3), but I do occasionally pick names that would only fit with a girl such as Rosie the Roserade.

Sometimes I do end up scavenging for a certain gender of a certain Pokémon so I can breed them, but I'm not your every day professional breeder! ;)

If it is, for example, Machamp, I don't search for a girl Machop/Machoke in the first place because that is just wrong! But I don't search furiously and will not stop until I do find a male, I'm alright with a female but it changes my opinion on them quite a lot if they are a certain 'mon. If it was a Pidgey, who cares? x) Also, I'm not saying it's wrong for a woman to be muscly and beefy, but Machamp just looks like a man in my opinion! <3

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
It's usually more important for me that a feminine pokemon is female than I care for a masculine pokemon being male. I usually aim for 50-50 gender balance in my teams.

Back