• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity's Small Writing Contest!

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Yeah Redstar, just in the nick of time. :P

All right everyone, no more entries please! Gummy, Astinus, and me are now going to go ahead and judge the entries. Should probably take us a week or two until we're done with the results. However, don't rush us. Gummy and Astinus also have real life stuff to take care of and not only I have stuff to do but am very busy with another contest at Serebii. So yeah, be patient with us even though the Get Together is over. ^^;

EDIT: Dang it Mizan, you have to post before me. D: Well, I would accept it even if it's a few minutes late as sometimes the forums can get laggy. However, not sure if Gummy will. We'll have to wait and see then.

TL:DR: Bother them as much as possible until they come up with results XD

Lol, joking aside take your time ;)

Also, when will we be able to see everyone's fic? If it were done now though, I don't think you guys would want to see the thread, so as not to get 3rd party opinions from other poeple. idk

Kleinchen

boldly going
Years
  • Age 31
  • CA
  • Seen Jun 4, 2013
Quiiiiick question... When you all are done judging, are you going to PM the contestants with the results or are we just gonna have to keep an eye on the thread for the next week or so? Just wondering. n.n

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I noticed the thread was unlocked again, so I'm hoping I'm not being a hassle or anything in asking this. This seems relevant, but if not feel free to call me on it...

How are the entries being judged? It seems likely that with three judges and three categories to have points awarded to, those points will be taken and averaged. Is this the case, or is there some other method I haven't thought of?

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Well, for me, this is how I'll judge and award the points:

Grammar: I'm checking to see how many grammar and spelling mistakes you guys do. If you don't have too much, I'll award high. If quite a few, it depends.

*Literary Devices Elements: This I'll just say what I like and what needs work. If I like descritption, I'll mention it and why. If I like characters, I'll mention that. If I think your writing style needs work, I'll mention that and will try to give advice.

Prompt: This I'll reward base the underlying idea you have that relates to the prompt. Also, how creative it is and if I like it a lot.

As for Gummy and Astinus, I know they'll do it differently, so this should be interesting.

Hm, not actually sure. Could be either that or we'll just add up all the points and whoever gets the most points wins (like how the writing contests at Serebii does). Might talk to the judges about that when I get the chance.

*Sorry Astinus, a little side joke. ^^;

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Well, for me, this is how I'll judge and award the points:

Grammar: I'm checking to see how many grammar and spelling mistakes you guys do. If you don't have too much, I'll award high. If quite a few, it depends.

*Literary Devices Elements: This I'll just say what I like and what needs work. If I like descritption, I'll mention it and why. If I like characters, I'll mention that. If I think your writing style needs work, I'll mention that and will try to give advice.

Prompt: This I'll reward base the underlying idea you have that relates to the prompt. Also, how creative it is and if I like it a lot.

As for Gummy and Astinus, I know they'll do it differently, so this should be interesting.

Hm, not actually sure. Could be either that or we'll just add up all the points and whoever gets the most points wins (like how the writing contests at Serebii does). Might talk to the judges about that when I get the chance.

*Sorry Astinus, a little side joke. ^^;
I pretty much do exactly what Bay does. (Mind twins!) For the second section, I focus on Plot, Description, and Characterization.

I really can't answer how we'll decide on a winner though. That's up to Gummy's jurisdiction, since it is his contest.

Don't worry. I smiled.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
Also, just wondering, but do you have a judging method. For example, what I'm doing for the Grammar score is to give everyone a free-be for the first 7 mistakes I see, then I subtract 1 point for every addition mistake. As for the Literary Elements, I split it up into Plot, Description, and Characterization, and give each sub-category 3 points, plus that extra point which I may or may not give. This way if I really like the Plot, I give it a 3, sort-of like gets a 2, sub-par plot gets a 1, and little to no plot gets a 0. As for the prompt, I dunno what to do with that; I might just give it a score out of 5 and multiply by 2. Anyways, that's my basic plan that I thought I'd share with you, in case you wanted to use it.

Just a c/p of a VM I sent to Astibears. Also, after learning the rest of my week will be a little busy, I have decided to simply judge the stories without full fledged reviews (that's just me, Asty and Bay will still give you reviews if you want). However, once all is said and done and you'd still like a review for your particular story, simple PM/VM me and I will gladly give a nice, detailed critique.

As for winners being chosen, I'm just going to average the scores of all three judges and round off to the nearest tenth. The top two highest scores are our winner. In the case of a tie, all tying entries get their deserved prize (for example, if two stories tie for first and there is a clear winner for second, those who tied will both receive the first place emblem).

King!

better
Years
Just out of curiosity, and although it probably says it somewhere, will we be able to see everyones Story after the results are shown?

Bay

Years
Yeah, we already mention how all the stories will be posted in one sticky thread, but the contestants can post their stories to make editing and reviews easier.

Bay

Years
Gummy said we won't have the results for another couple of weeks as we have twenty entries to look over and score. So yeah, no winner yet and it won't be for a bit.

And Gummy, noticed you put iDawg's name twice in the contestants section. O.o

Bay

Years
Just to let everyone know, I send in my scores to Gummy already. Have to say, impressed with the entries, especially when you guys only had three/four days to do this. :) I don't think I can do a good story in that time frame. XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing what you and the others thought of our entries. It's the first contest I've entered.

Years
Gummy said we won't have the results for another couple of weeks as we have twenty entries to look over and score. So yeah, no winner yet and it won't be for a bit.

And Gummy, noticed you put iDawg's name twice in the contestants section. O.o

Oh man...but i think i can wait.

Also, my name is there twice, but its not even my name anymore x3

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years

The Results are in!

Synaesthesia - 24.3
Codec - 14.3
Hakeen - 16.3
ShinjisLover - 22.0
Feign - 18.0
icomeanon6 - 27.0
Lady GaGa - 20.0
solovino - 27.6
Kleinchen - 23.0
Negrek - 28.3
Notched^^ - 9.6
dream's-epilogue - 21.6
Shrike Flamestar - 28.3
Eleclion -19.3
txteclipse - 28.0
Giratar - 23.0
Archer - 23.3
Redstar - 26.3
Mizan Nix Zamnie - 21.0

vg4mkp.png

Small Writing Contest: 1st Place
Congratulations, you scored the highest in PC's Small Writing Contest! Make sure to show this off to your friends with the Writer's emblem!
Awarded to the entry with the highest score in the Small Writing Contest.
SHRIKE FLAMESTAR AND NEGREK

14syu0i.png

Small Writing Contest: 2nd Place
First is the worst! You got second in PC's Small Writing Contest, be happy!
Awarded to the entry with the second highest score in the Small Writing Contest.
TXTECLIPSE

That's to all the entered. You all may post your entries in the Fanfiction section now, and the Honorable Mention thread will be made in a couple of days. Thank you all for participating and we hope to see you next year (this is, if we have another get-together).

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Hm, have to say interesting on the results. :) Now I wonder how you two rank them! XD;

Anyways, congrats Negrek, Shrike, and txtclipse! Negrek and txtclipse, both of you are actually my top two and interesting both of you started out with a battle and then something relating to time right after. XD; Shrike, even though you're tied for fourth in my rankings, I still think your story is wickedly awesome. ;)

For everyone else, a job well done writing the stories! I can see all of you did well even when there's only three days to write the stories. :)

Now, if you guys want, I can post my individual scores and reviews in your stories' thread so that you guys will know what scores I gave and also why I gave them. I have my reviews saved, so yeah. :P

Looking forward to seeing the stories posted. :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
It kind of looks like Notched received a negative 9.6.

Anyhow, just popping in to say that some of you who's stories I've read don't have full reviews. If I had done full reviews for all of you, the results wouldn't have come in time. (With reviews, I could do one or two stories a night. Without them, I could do four in one night. Sometimes more.) So some of you will just have to wait for me to get the time to finish those reviews.

Congratulations to Shrike, Negrek, and txteclipse. (I am so glad I didn't have to do the math.)

Back