• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who was the hardest Champion? - The Redux

Who was the hardest Champion?

• Total voters

#isthenumbersign
Years
Lance from the Johto Elite 4 was the hardest. For some reason my Pokemon were always underleveled by the time I got to the E4, and none of the starters were very effective against a Dragonite.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 18, 2012
Like everyone else, I think that Cynthia is the hardest champion hands down. Her Spiritomb and Gastrodon are tough to take down. Her Milotic is annoyingly bulky and is usually able to take down at least 2-3 of my Pokemon. And of course, her Garchomp is absolutely monstrous to any unprepared handheld team.

I don't think any of the other champions ever came close to being as difficult as Cynthia.

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
Years
I haven't made it to Iris yet so not her yet, but unlike a lot other posts I found Steven in pokemon Sapphire the hardest champion to beat.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I think it was Lance, to be honest.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm gonna go with Cynthia. Playing through Yellow a few months back, I realized that Blue was really nothing. His movesets were crap so even if you were underlevel, you will still be alright. It's been a long time since I got to him in FRLG though, so I can't really compare the two, but it can't be much worse. Cynthia on the other hand was the first time since Blue that we had a Champion with a mixed team and no set type. And let's not forget the team includes Garchomp, Milotic, and Togekiss. Yikes.

Iris and Alder...well...they suck. Alder has a pretty decent weakness to Fire and Iris...I had no trouble with her in my Japanese Black 2, despite not even being able to read a thing she was doing. I still beat her without losing any Pokemon, and I was slightly underlevel compared to her, if memory serves. So, overall, in order of most difficult to least:

Cynthia > Lance > Wallace > Steven > Alder > Blue > Iris

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I haven't played D/P/Pt; so Iris, for all I can recall. More or less, her team could only have a higher average BST if it included Arcanine or went into ubers.

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2012
Even though lance was underleveled I always ended up getting destroyed by him. His Dragonite was a handful.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Blue in FRLG for me.

That was maybe because when I was young, I only focused training on one Pokemon, which was Venusaur, my starter, Venusaur practically owned everyone in the E4, but when we were facing Blue, his Charizard owned the hell out of my Venusaur with just one flamethrower. (orjustanyrandomfiremove) And after that, the result was clear, I LOST.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
For me it has to be Steven or Blue. Blue is a real psycho ***** to fight, and that music only raises the nervousness that you know you are gonna get your ass beaten. And in fire red when you rematch him he is probably the most psycho crazy man in the world. As for steven, it took me soooooo many tries to beat him when I first went through ruby. Especially since my strongest pokemon was my lvl 100 swellow.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Well like everyone else(mostly) i'm voting for cynthia. Her team in DP were rediculously powerfu(pokemon, move and level wise) and it took me quite a few times to beat her. She was slightly power down in platinum but it was still very difficult...and frustrating *shiver*. But when I beat her it felt like a great acheivement. After her i'd say Blue for my FL/LG run. I dont think I ever fought steve :/, wallace was easy for me cuz of meh Manetric, lance was somewhat of a challenge tbh, and the only difficult part about about Iris was Haxorus.

....Oh yea Aldar. Yea he was no challenge at all and looking at the poll I view it hilarious as he has not one vote.

But again, Cynthia was hands down the true champion...until I beat her bout 4 restarts later.

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2022
I actually had the hardest time with Wallace compared to everyone else. His team was pure water and he had good Offense and Defense. His typing was useful having a Ground, Grass, and Flying type to go against Pure Grass or Electric Attacks. Also, back in the 3rd Gen, we didn't have the same Special and Physical Attacks, as they were based on Types and not the moves themselves, making it a little more difficult to create a team to take him on.

Note: When I played the games I usually used a well rounded, underleveled, 6-Pokemon team.

Back