• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Official Action Replay (DS) Code Thread...

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I recall that when I first came to PC at the beginning of 08 that there was an Action Replay DS thread for Diamond and Pearl that was about 80+ pages long but suddenly got closed because a mod said it wasnt going anywhere. Since everytime someone has made a similar thread it has been closed. I think it would be a really good idea to have an official page for this that would have a large variety of codes for US games in the first post and people could even give out their Poke Sav codes there. Just an idea. SHut me down if its lame. Id even be willing to lead the thread.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
There are a large variety of codes elsewhere, found via google.

A majority of DPPt members do not appreciate receiving or battling hacks, so why facilitate such discussion here, ultimately producing more hacks when we want to reduce them?

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years

A majority of DPPt members do not appreciate receiving or battling hacks, so why facilitate such discussion here, ultimately producing more hacks when we want to reduce them?
I don't think that the use of Action Replay should be shunned so much. Sure, the majority of people don't use the AR but, the fact is, there are some who do use it. It might not even be for online cheating pruposes, it could just to be to see some cool effects that happen when you use it.

This doesn't mean that the majority wins and the minority should be shunned. Members who do not approve of using the AR while communicating with them always make sure the add the warning in their threads. It's up to the AR user if he/she wants to break that rule and risk banning. As with most things, it's not about actually using it, it's how you use it.

Haza

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Either way you wont be able to stop people from using them and there are more codes that are helpful than just pokemon themselves. I just think it would be great to have a one stop place here on PC.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
I believe there should be a thread.

:/ There's an entire section on ROM hacking, what is the difference between that and using an action replay? Either allow an action replay thread or delete the emulation section. D:

Years
:/ There's an entire section on ROM hacking, what is the difference between that and using an action replay? Either allow an action replay thread or delete the emulation section. D:

ROM hacking is a creative process, not inputting numbers into a device you plug into your DS.

Years
Both are changing the data of a game.

Which is what *both* are meant to do. That's what their purpose is.

That's like saying making a TV program and watching it are the same thing. ROM hacking is done for the sense of accomplishment when you complete a hack, Action Replay is done to temporarily make a game easier or generally mess about. There are so many differences that it's not even funny.

zevarius kerensky

i bid my timberwolf in defiance of yer claim!
Years

theres a hacker out there makein FAKE codes desgined 2 DESTROY ur game if u look 'em up on google, yt codes r more reliable, trust me (i found platnum codes there and my game works fine STILL)

Apophenia said:
Action Replay is done to temporarily make a game easier or generally mess about.

gota point there, i use it 2 EXACTLY do the same thing

@ creater of thread:

im willin 2 support u on this, its honestly a good idea

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 15, 2023
I personally am against the use of Action Replays, though I support this thread because there are in fact some practical uses of an Action Replay. For example, I hear that there is a Windows program designed to copy all of the save data of a Gen IV game into a AR code, which could be a failsafe for losing data if one loses his or her game or wishes to restart their game. Also, there are some other uses of AR codes that have no uses other than to make the game experience more enjoyable, like one that replaces the sprite of the player character into any of the sprites in the game (it's very amusing to see Giratina float around Jubilife City and talk to the various people in the city, who are apparently oblivious to the fact that a Pokémon heard only in legends is talking to them). Such codes are worth sharing, even if not everyone uses them.

Mr. Curling Iron

u kujw bux :d
Years
That's like saying making a TV program and watching it are the same thing. ROM hacking is done for the sense of accomplishment when you complete a hack, Action Replay is done to temporarily make a game easier or generally mess about. There are so many differences that it's not even funny.

No, that analogy does not make sense.

Rom hacking is not making a TV program. Its editing a TV program. Using action replay is not watching it. Action replay is downloading the episode or watching it online because it has already been released in another country. Its watching it in an unconventional way. Rom hacking is also an unconventional way of creating an episode that suits yours, and a given audiences taste.

Action replay is no different to PokeSAV in terms of ripping people off. You manipulate game data to generate a pokemon and then you trade it for something legit.

At the same time, PokeSAV is easily accessible, and those that do want to use Action Replay and such for recreational purposes should not be punished by having to search for a 'legit' source of codes. The thread can be used to 'certify' certain codes and after most of them have been posted, it can be merely stickied and left there like the Post Your Problems thread in OC.

I'm going to stand on neutral ground because it can be abused, but there are also reasons why the information should be omitted from PC: A Pokemon Forum, not a legit-trading forum. Yeah, sorry guys, I doubt PC was made for trading.

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
I use AR codes myself, and have been wondering why discussion of such devices isn't allowed. I myself do not use them for WiFi battling, so called me biased, but I do support this idea. It's hard to find working cheats sometimes. And I guess if a cheat someone posts doesn't work, said post can just be deleted.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2009
theres a hacker out there makein FAKE codes desgined 2 DESTROY ur game if u look 'em up on google, yt codes r more reliable, trust me (i found platnum codes there and my game works fine STILL)

Uhm, where exactly do you think the majority of PC members would get the codes? Google.

I am not supporting this, however. It would lead to more cons than pros.

Melody

Banned
Years
I recall that when I first came to PC at the beginning of 08 that there was an Action Replay DS thread for Diamond and Pearl that was about 80+ pages long but suddenly got closed because a mod said it wasnt going anywhere. Since everytime someone has made a similar thread it has been closed. I think it would be a really good idea to have an official page for this that would have a large variety of codes for US games in the first post and people could even give out their Poke Sav codes there. Just an idea. SHut me down if its lame. Id even be willing to lead the thread.

You look to be close to 5k posts, you could just use your blog to create a place to share the codes. If you don't want to do that, go for creating a public social group and advertise it. It's not hard to do really.

Personally, I think the entire argument against AR and other cheat devices is stupid. It really doesn't harm game play that much. Personally, I never trade my hacks anyway...because it's rude. That being said, PokeSav when used correctly, can create perfectly Legitimate data...it's just a matter of figuring out how you want the stats to be, (within legit limits) and setting your junk bits, ect...to match what they SHOULD be.

Just think, Nintendo probably has some sort of code generator themselves which makes up these "Rare" pokemon...and Pokesav is no different from that, I promise you.

Still, with all of that being said, I do perfectly understand the wish to receive a pokemon someone worked for, the hard way, to obtain. Generally, I don't trade in event pokemon...it's smarter to keep them and use them to obtain something else you want. I personally don't care if a pokemon I'm trading for is legit or not, as long as it LOOKS perfectly legitimate when it comes to an event pokemon. That being said, I simply refuse to trade with just anybody unless I just want something so bad that I don't give a fig.

Haza

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
^
If a thread is not approved, I may simply do this. I think its a really good Idea.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
Years
The problem with an Action Replay thread is the reason posted in the first post:

It doesn't go anywhere.

The thread starts off as a list of codes, but eventually, all the codes are posted. By page 5 there is nothing but "how u gt shinney charzard??!!?!?!?!" repeated over and over again. They end up being a monumental waste of space when there are already tons of other websites that list the codes.

There is no discussion with cheat codes after a while. That is the problem.

As said, if you want to list the codes, do it in a blog or make your own website. Another issue is people trying to take the credit for all the codes when they've mostly all been discovered before.

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
The problem with an Action Replay thread is the reason posted in the first post:

It doesn't go anywhere.

The thread starts off as a list of codes, but eventually, all the codes are posted. By page 5 there is nothing but "how u gt shinney charzard??!!?!?!?!" repeated over and over again. They end up being a monumental waste of space when there are already tons of other websites that list the codes.

There is no discussion with cheat codes after a while. That is the problem.

As said, if you want to list the codes, do it in a blog or make your own website. Another issue is people trying to take the credit for all the codes when they've mostly all been discovered before.
Well, why not make a thread for an index of ARDS codes, then once discussion has halted and there is nothing but questions, just lock and stick the thread in D/P/Pt?

I think that would work, since A) It'd stop discussion after a while, and B) It wouldn't get buried behind 34234 pages.

Also, if anyone had a code to add, they could just PM a moderator of that section.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
Years
Well, why not make a thread for an index of ARDS codes, then once discussion has halted and there is nothing but questions, just lock and stick the thread in D/P/Pt?

I think that would work, since A) It'd stop discussion after a while, and B) It wouldn't get buried behind 34234 pages.

Also, if anyone had a code to add, they could just PM a moderator of that section.

The problem with that is that it'd be a waste of space. You don't want to have ten stickies in a forum because A) it clutters the list of stickies and B) no one reads the stickies anyways.

PokéCommunity is not the all-in-one spot for every single bit of information on Pokémon. It is a place for discussion. It is not a place for a list of codes that would be copy/pasted from some other website to create the sticky. Other sticky threads are there to reduce clutter by grouping together or avoiding common questions.

.Seth

.explorer.
Years

The problem with that is that it'd be a waste of space. You don't want to have ten stickies in a forum because A) it clutters the list of stickies and B) no one reads the stickies anyways.

PokéCommunity is not the all-in-one spot for every single bit of information on Pokémon. It is a place for discussion. It is not a place for a list of codes that would be copy/pasted from some other website to create the sticky. Other sticky threads are there to reduce clutter by grouping together or avoiding common questions.

You forget that Serebii and Bulbagarden both do not have ARDS codes. And aren't they pretty much the all-in-one spot(s) for Pokemon?

I can also see users submitting cheats codes and people posting saying they don't work/etc as discussion. Discussion will deteriorate over time, but you forget that there are people who make ARDS codes from scratch. That also creates discussion because new ARDS codes are made.

And if there's that many stickies for one generation of Pokemon games, why not combine a couple? Unless all of them are completely unrelated, of course, but I doubt it.

Also, if there were an ARDS sticky thread, wouldn't that cut down the clutter of "how dus ah get teh shinyz charizardzz??? i no i need a ards thang, but.."? And what do you mean "Other" sticky threads? Are there different types?

Back