• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

y u hog the game japan?!

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
@Mr Cat Dog
The only difference is:
-Japanese songs
-Male traditional Japanese cheerleader squad (American style for very hard) instead of agents
If you don't mind some popular at the time Jpop songs, play it. You can find a translation for the dialogues on gamefaqs.

Well, there are quite a lot of good Japanese RPGs that either don't get released at all on the west, or they (for some reasons) only release PS3 or 360 version in one area (America or Europe). I guess the main reason is that they are too anime like, and they think that west fans only care about muscles. For some games, the problem is license and stuff (example: Super Robot Wars and SD Gungam G Generation).

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
@Mr Cat Dog
The only difference is:
-Japanese songs
-Male traditional Japanese cheerleader squad (American style for very hard) instead of agents
If you don't mind some popular at the time Jpop songs, play it. You can find a translation for the dialogues on gamefaqs.
You don't really need a translation for the games, the games themselves and the scenarios in them are pretty self explanatory.

Megaman3007

MTF FTW :)
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
I just got to the point i'm learning Japanese and will just import them. So far its going good.

Gyakuten Kenji 2 comes to mind every time

Well Capcom did say something a few months back about bringing the game to the states. I think it could be an E shop download title they just port for 3DS like they did for PW since they were for GBA in Japan but for DS here.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Heck they really need to re-localize Pokemon first generation. That way, none of them gets left out despite their engine being used. If Pokemon Blue had been localized, by the localization logic, it'll be under the name "Green" since the localized Blue is also Green.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I've been a big fan of the while Guitar Hero rhythm based games, so I was annoyed when they didn't bring Rock Band 2 out in Australia. I think it's because the first installment wasn't that popular down here, but it was still kind of annoying. That game personally out of them all had the best songlist, so it was annoying that every other installment of the game came out here, except that one.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Heck they really need to re-localize Pokemon first generation. That way, none of them gets left out despite their engine being used. If Pokemon Blue had been localized, by the localization logic, it'll be under the name "Green" since the localized Blue is also Green.
Blue was the name of the special enhanced version that came out later, and it's the version we got, thus, Green was never localized. In other words, Blue isn't the localized version of Green, Blue is the localized version of Blue, which came out to fix and change things that the original Red and Green did "wrong" (it was released alongside a new Red version for the West, but Blue was, in essence, the first "third version"). Blue came out first in Japan, and then in the West later, but they didn't bring Green over because of the flaws and the sprites (*shudder*), plus they had no reason to; this version was just plain "better" than the originals.

Algo Fonix

oh god
Years
The only game in recent times I was actually disappointed in not getting was the Dragon Quest Anniversary Collection. Yeah, it's a compilation thinger, but it's still cool... and it includes the best version of DQ 1-3. I did import it, and am glad I did, but it'd have been nice to also get a localized version.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Gyakuten Kenji 2 comes to mind but honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the first one so the lack of localization there didn't really bother me too much.

I wish more Tales games had gotten localizations. Especially the spinoffs. I know the first Radiant Mythology did horribly here so they didn't bother with the others but I love them so much! And Tales of VS was so much fun! The characters are the Tales series' strongest point and when they're all tossed together and mixed up, you get some really surprising partnerships and it's great to have them all interacting. I also really like the localization job they do when they bring Tales games over so it would have been nice to play all those in English.

I don't dwell too much on games that don't get localized anymore, though. I've been learning Japanese for a while now anyway and I'm at the point where I can play through games with relatively no problem and I'll understand almost anything. (Well, in JRPGs, anyway, and I assume if I can follow those I can follow any plotline.) So I just go ahead and play games in Japanese now when I'm sure they won't get an English translation.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Luminous Arc 3, Another: Code R (sequel to Trace Memory), and several of the older Atelier series games come immediately to mind. And there's probably some RPG where a cast of all girls in school uniforms save the world from evil, and I'd like to see a game like that released over here. Naturally, I'd like to see games based on the Pretty Cure anime series released here as well, but considering the source material hasn't had a US release, that seems to be but a pipe dream...

Then of course there's the loads and loads of dating sims out there, many the basis for anime shows that I've liked, and I would like the chance to play the original source material.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Luminous Arc 3, Another: Code R (sequel to Trace Memory), and several of the older Atelier series games come immediately to mind. And there's probably some RPG where a cast of all girls in school uniforms save the world from evil, and I'd like to see a game like that released over here. Naturally, I'd like to see games based on the Pretty Cure anime series released here as well, but considering the source material hasn't had a US release, that seems to be but a pipe dream...

Then of course there's the loads and loads of dating sims out there, many the basis for anime shows that I've liked, and I would like the chance to play the original source material.
I don't know if the West is ready for Dating Sims (I don't know if we'll ever be), we're just now slowly easing our way into Visual Novels, and that's been rather slow. I do see a faint possibility that Dating Sims may ease their way into the Western market, but I do understand why they haven't come over, there's barely a market for it here.

Shdwj

Excuse me?
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2016
All These Games...

Tales of Vesperia...for the PS3. I'm sorry, I don't have an Xbox 360, hehe.

There's Jump Ultimate Stars for the DS. And then there's Tales of VS for the PSP. All those Tales of characters in the same game...! Sometimes it seems like the 'Tales of' series doesn't get enough recognition outside Japan...they release Dissidia in English but not Tales of VS? Meh. I guess I get that, though; not all of the 'Tales of' games were released outside of Japan yet.

Oh, and Hastune Miku's Project Diva 1 and 2. Heck, even the Death Note: Kira Game looks fun. I'm sure there's more, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Now there's another game being released in Japan for the 3DS called Project X Zone.In short, it's a crossover game by Namco Bandai, Capcom, and Sega. However, I heard that there will be a lot of voice acting, so I'm gonna assume that people outside Japan aren't gonna be getting this easily... I hope there's an English release.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Blue was the name of the special enhanced version that came out later, and it's the version we got, thus, Green was never localized. In other words, Blue isn't the localized version of Green, Blue is the localized version of Blue, which came out to fix and change things that the original Red and Green did "wrong" (it was released alongside a new Red version for the West, but Blue was, in essence, the first "third version"). Blue came out first in Japan, and then in the West later, but they didn't bring Green over because of the flaws and the sprites (*shudder*), plus they had no reason to; this version was just plain "better" than the originals.

No, the international Red and Blue is Red and Green WITH the engine of the Original Blue. Even Blue version has ugly sprites (there are some sprites uglier than they were in the originals.) Don't believe me? Let me explain...

Spoiler:

So there you have it. Other than the title and theme, the international version of Pokemon Blue is actually Pokemon Green with the engine of the original Blue. Leaving out One version on a generation was the biggest flaw the localization team made. That is why they really need to relocalize Pokemon First Generation (though, it won't happen because it's the decision.)

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
No, the international Red and Blue is Red and Green WITH the engine of the Original Blue. Even Blue version has ugly sprites (there are some sprites uglier than they were in the originals.) Don't believe me? Let me explain...

Spoiler:

So there you have it. Other than the title and theme, the international version of Pokemon Blue is actually Pokemon Green with the engine of the original Blue. Leaving out One version on a generation was the biggest flaw the localization team made. That is why they really need to relocalize Pokemon First Generation (though, it won't happen because it's the decision.)
I've done my research on the topic (but a good rechecking of the facts didn't hurt, it never does), and that's basically the same thing. If they renamed the version and gave it a newer, upgraded revision, it's pretty much the same as having a second version (or rather, its own version), after all, the Red that came over is not the same Red that was released in Japan, and similarly the "Green" that came over is not the same Green that was released in Japan. Heck, Blue is more like Blue than it is like Green, being that the Graphics, music and music quality, name, engine, and script are those of Blue while the aspects from Green are there to balance that it's the version opposite Red and not a third version as it was in Japan (IE Pokemon Changes and the like).

The fact of the matter is, Blue was originally made to be a product for those who subscribed to CoroCoro, and it was meant to be an improved of Red and Green (thus, it's technically (or not technically) the first "third version); even if the sprites look uglier, they were simply meant to be repurposed (in much the same way that we see in each proceeding third version). They didn't need to bring the original Red and Green over because it didn't have the enhancements that Blue had, and in essence, it "wasn't as good". We'd essentially be getting the crap end of the deal if they decided to bring the originals over rather than what was supposed to be the "bigger, better" version. Granted, it would net them more money if they released Red and Green and then Blue later, but that would also require more work. To make up for it (or just because they didn't feel like changing the name for a local release, especially since "Water Blue" was considered...actually, scratch what I said before, they it wasn't to make up for it), they released a Green version years later, but it had neither the unique aspects nor the flaws that the original did, and it was released by the name of Leaf Green, a remake of the original games.

Plus, there was no demand for Green, and they didn't really make it internationally known that they made a Green version, people just had to come across the information. Even when it was known by the masses, there was no huge desire for it to come over, so Nintendo didn't consider it, they didn't need to. Not only was/is there no money in the venture, but they might actually lose money in the processes of bringing it over (and the changes between them certainly aren't the most attractive).

Last edited:

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
I've done my research on the topic (but a good rechecking of the facts didn't hurt, it never does), and that's basically the same thing. If they renamed the version and gave it a newer, upgraded revision, it's pretty much the same as having a second version (or rather, its own version), after all, the Red that came over is not the same Red that was released in Japan, and similarly the "Green" that came over is not the same Green that was released in Japan. Heck, Blue is more like Blue than it is like Green, being that the Graphics, music and music quality, name, engine, and script are those of Blue while the aspects from Green are there to balance that it's the version opposite Red and not a third version as it was in Japan (IE Pokemon Changes and the like).

The fact of the matter is, Blue was originally made to be a product for those who subscribed to CoroCoro, and it was meant to be an improved of Red and Green (thus, it's technically (or not technically) the first "third version); even if the sprites look uglier, they were simply meant to be repurposed (in much the same way that we see in each proceeding third version). They didn't need to bring the original Red and Green over because it didn't have the enhancements that Blue had, and in essence, it "wasn't as good". We'd essentially be getting the crap end of the deal if they decided to bring the originals over rather than what was supposed to be the "bigger, better" version. Granted, it would net them more money if they released Red and Green and then Blue later, but that would also require more work. To make up for it (or just because they didn't feel like changing the name for a local release, especially since "Water Blue" was considered...actually, scratch what I said before, they it wasn't to make up for it), they released a Green version years later, but it had neither the unique aspects nor the flaws that the original did, and it was released by the name of Leaf Green, a remake of the original games.

Plus, there was no demand for Green, and they didn't really make it internationally known that they made a Green version, people just had to come across the information. Even when it was known by the masses, there was no huge desire for it to come over, so Nintendo didn't consider it, they didn't need to. Not only was/is there no money in the venture, but they might actually lose money in the processes of bringing it over (and the changes between them certainly aren't the most attractive).

Still, Just because it's localized from a third version doesn't mean they are third version. It can still be considered as badly localized no matter how superior you think the localized game is. If it has to be the region of my own, I would consider First Generation either my least favorite or 2nd least favorite. Probably the ladder because when I was a kid, I was introduced to Pokemon first Generation. That's why I imported all 4 versions, including Gold and Silver. The main purpose is that I want full experience in 1st Generation, which is what we don't get (In Yellow, special Pikachu edition, you do get all 3 starters, but does it make it relevant?) until Third Generation where there are remakes and a Gamecube Title called "Pokemon Colosseum."

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Still, Just because it's localized from a third version doesn't mean they are third version. It can still be considered as badly localized.
I believe I said the former statement. The Blue we got is indeed a second (or first, depending on the way you look at it) version. We did get our third version later (Yellow Version, which also added quite a bit). And yes, it can still be considered badly localized...but I don't know why you say that. After all, we did get remakes, which were relocalized and retranslated, so there's no reason for there to have been a Green version that would come over, it couldn't have been handled better than the versions we got, that would be like a fix over a fix, except since the versions we had were already a fix of the original Japanese versions, there was no real reason to make any more fixes or changes, and they certainly wouldn't relocalize a game all for a third version that didn't really add much, if not less. Even if there were any loose ends, Yellow had fixes and was a different take on the same game, so it didn't falter in sales; it really was a smart move on their part, not only exploiting the show's success to make dough, but also fixing various glitches, trying out various graphical and script-based features, and creating a 3rd version the West never had, giving a fresh look on a tried and true concept and story.

They didn't bring it over because they had nothing to gain in the venture. Little money would be made compared to...pretty much any other version to come overseas, the critical and fan reaction would probably be mixed, and even as an experimental venture they wouldn't get any useful information since it actually does less than the initial (and by "initial" I mean the first games overseas, not the first games period) do in terms of graphics (I'm not just talking sprites, either), audio, fixed glitches, and various other ventures. Plus, it would paint a very unfriendly commercial image of Nintendo (or rather, Game Freak).

The main purpose is that I want full experience in 1st Generation, which is what we don't get (In Yellow, special Pikachu edition, you do get all 3 starters, but does it make it relevant?) until Third Generation where there are remakes and a Gamecube Title called 'Pokemon Colosseum.'
We do get the full experience, it's not like Blue had a new story or a new region, or even new pokemon. Unlike the other third versions (like Emerald, Platinum, and Crystal), it didn't have those bells and whistles, and it lent its improvements to hardware fixes, as well as various other areas, it didn't change anything that would upset anyone (or most anyone, at least). In fact, it's because of its superiority that we get the full experience (or more of one, in a sense). You're not being left out of an experience, and no company would be, pardon my language, dumb enough to sell an "inferior" version at a loss. That would be insane, and they'd actually be insulting the customer in the process. It's smarter to just let people import the game, because they have (nor had) no real reason to bring it over since they already had the "bigger and better" Red and Blue. It's not like Green and newer or attractive unique features or another storyline, RB had Green's story and features, but the latter of which was spruced up. They would have actually lost money if they translated and localized the same game, and even if they did it, I can give you a 99.99% guarantee that it would not be received too well, and it most certainly wouldn't have been relocalized, they'd most likely have slapped the localization for RB on there to minimalize losses.

Also, about Yellow, it does a lot more than simply allow you to get all of the starters. There are quite a few story additions and textual changes, a boatload of graphical changes (most of them major, they set the stone for how 1st Gen pokemon would generally look since then), revised locations, and unique and new gameplay changes and additions, I'd say it fits quite well in its role as a contemporary third version, which is why it's relevant.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
^Crap, sorry about that, I hadn't even noticed how far we'd semi-derailed into Pokemon territory :P

I guess I'll go, then. Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Butoden (or Kai...I'm not sure, it calls itself DBK, but it has the Buu Saga, so it's kinda confusing) is probably the best DS fighter, and for some reason it didn't come over. Now, it may have to do with the fact that it's a revival of the original Dragon Ball Z Butoden games from the Super Famicom (the Japanese Super Nintendo, with that said, the original games were Japan-only two, which might be why it didn't come over), and it does amazing things to the franchise. It has the entire Dragon Ball Z storyline with all of the necessary characters, a crapton of levels, and a Challenge Mode. It also has a very stylistic artstyle and very good graphics for the DS, it's presented in a mesh between Comic Book, Manga, and Cel-Shading, and it really adds to the experience. It's such a shame it didn't come over, and I hope it gets a sequel for the 3DS.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Monster Hunter Frontier as well as a few other Monster Hunter games (some ARE being localised, but it takes yeaarsss...). Such a great series of games that people don't know about.
Frontier's an impressive MMORPG, has regular updates, and it's just massive. I would love to try something new like it. It should definitely come out in English.

I would say Mother 3, but since games like those are much easier to translate and we already have a perfect fan-made translation, then we're all good! :-)

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
On the other side:
y u hog the game america/europe?!

I want to play Dead Space in Japanese, even if they censor the majority of the game... for the sake of finding out how professional localizers handle the text.

I also want to play Starcraft 2 in Japanese, provided it keeps the wonky voice acting from the Japanese Starcraft (released by Capcom in Japan, but sold very badly.)

Back