• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Kurt's Balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
interesting title eh? ;)

With the return of Johto, customs balls also made a return. Kurt, a resident of Azalea Town is able to create custom designed balls to fit a variety of specific Pokemon Captures, with the player only needing to give him an apricorn. The ball Kurt crafted for the player was dependent on the colour of the apricorn, as they came in a variety of colours; blue, black, red, green etc.

Did you use custom Pokeballs throughout your journey? What sorts? What type was your favourite? Why?

I employed the use of several types of custom Pokeballs myself, I especially focussed on making Kurt craft Fast Balls for me, so that I'd be able to use them on the roaming dogs/cats. (Entei, Suicune and Raikou.) I also took advantage of the net ball as well as the..heavy ball I think it was called, to catch Snorlax in Kanto and a variety of water pokemon throughout both regions.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2014
I low your title XD.

I did use those balls occasionally, and I tried to use the Level (?) Ball to catch Ho-Oh, without realising it only worked if you were higher than the opponent. I was being stupid, trying to use a L1 Togepi to do it :S

Mentalii

Back
Years
Not really actually. In GSC, I loved this concept and I gave Kurt an apricorn each day, but in HGSS I grew tired of this. I guess I only have 4 or 5 Kurt-made balls, and I never used any of them, I prefer the original balls, even if they're more simple.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
I like the Heavy Ball, looks all cool and whatnot. Fast Ball is pretty cool looking too. Most were extremely situational, and once Dusk Balls were created...well every other ball doesn't even exist.

I enjoy catching Pokemon with them though, as I love spicing my team up by having different "pop out" animations. Majority are either Pokeball (early on teammates) or Dusk.

Years
Kinda off-topic but the title made me think something completely different at first, Lol!!

The fast balls were the best against the roaming pokemon!

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
Quick Balls are better though. Since you only get one turn on them, it's an auto x4 each time and you can easily purchase them.

Cid

Years
Oh God, that title.

In HeartGold, I always checked back with Kurt every time I can. Usually my routine is, give him the colored apricorn with the highest amount I have at the moment, leave, wait until they're finished, go back, get them, rinse and repeat. However, I rarely use them on my first run. I tried capturing as many Pokémon as possible on my second, though, so on that run I did use them occasionally because, let's face it, they were free! Like I always run out of Pokéballs in the earlier towns so I use them alternatively. :3

I love the designs a lot, though. If ever I decide to play another run, I'll make a team each captured on a different type of apricorn ball that suits it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I actually never really did that. I did it a couple of times in the original ones, but not in my Heartgold, mainly because once I leave Azalea town I forget about Kurt xD

Guy

just a guy
Years
This was one feature I loved in the originals and was glad to see them make a return in HG/SS. That being said, surprisingly I didn't visit Kurt very often for his custom made balls (get your mind out of the gutter, people!). Usually, I'd leave him a supply of my highest carried Apricorns, but I wouldn't come back for them until days later or until I remembered to go back and pick them up. Then, after picking those up I'd repeat the process and leave him some more but wouldn't come back for them until some time later.

I guess as a kid I had more patience to come back to Azalea Town every time compared to now where it's just a lot more convenient to go into a store and buy some Great Balls or Ultra Balls. Then there's the addition of the other specially made Pokéballs like the Quick Ball, Net Ball, and so on.

Design-wise, I've always loved the look of Kurt's Heavy Balls (omg, make it stop!) and the Lure Balls. Those two were always my favorite of the bunch. As for which was the most useful, then it'd be the Lure Ball when I used them the most while fishing.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
Years
Brilliant title, mate.

I always loved the look of the Moon Ball. Never did get to use one though, because there really aren't that many Pokemon who evolve by Moon Stone ;_;

I liked the Level and Friend Balls too, got a couple of uses out of those. I would've honestly preferred it if some of the later balls (namely, Luxury) got replaced by some of these (namely, Friend). I think the custom-made pokeballs were a lot more unique than the specialty ones later on. except for the quick ball. I LOVE IT IT'S BLUE XD

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I used the Fast Ball a lot in GSC and HGSS because of its actual use, but I also used the other balls because they just looked pretty and I couldn't get them in other games so might as well use them.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I always grab Kurt's Ball at the start of every new day... >.>

Anyway, I'm more partial to the other custom designed POKeBALLS (QUICK BALLS, NET BALLS, DUSK BALLS especially!!) and I've only tossed a couple of Kurt's and they've never really did it for me. Like I said I do go there every morning, but I have them because I want them, not because I use them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I only really utilized Level Balls. I find them very useful in catching Pokemon for the PokeDex, since by the time I start focusing on my PokeDex my team is pretty high-leveled. The Love, Friend, and Fast Balls also saw some use from me, but not nearly as much as the Level Balls did.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
It's strange, actually - even though I like to horde apricorns and their subsequent PokeBalls, I don't actually recall ever using any of them. If anything, the only thing I really use on occasion is a quick Fast Ball at the beginning of any encounter with a Pokemon I want to catch, particularly with legendaries.

I love the designs a lot, though. If ever I decide to play another run, I'll make a team each captured on a different type of apricorn ball that suits it.
That's an interesting idea! Maybe I'll do the same if I replay the game as well, haha.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I never used them. The only custom pokeballs I ever liked are the Premier Ball. Plus, Kurt spends a whole day handling your balls. Kurt just hogs your balls all day long. If Kurt would spend less time on my balls, I would go back to him more often.

...Ummm... :embarrass

Years
The only two that I ended up using were the Quick and Heavy Balls. *insert balls joke*

In all honesty though, in both GSC and HG/SS I forgot about Kurt for most of the game, and I would have probably used Ultra Balls more often even if I had remembered. The Moon, Friend and Love Balls were good ideas, but I just don't think I would ever use them even if they were readily available to me.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
interesting title eh? ;)

I employed the use of several types of custom Pokeballs myself, I especially focussed on making Kurt craft Fast Balls for me, so that I'd be able to use them on the roaming dogs/cats. (Entei, Suicune and Raikou.) I also took advantage of the net ball as well as the..heavy ball I think it was called, to catch Snorlax in Kanto and a variety of water pokemon throughout both regions.
Lol, I used the heavy balls on Snorlax too. Also tried to use a couple on Lugia, but that didn't go so well.... Dusk balls worked better. :)
I low your title XD.

I did use those balls occasionally, and I tried to use the Level (?) Ball to catch Ho-Oh, without realising it only worked if you were higher than the opponent. I was being stupid, trying to use a L1 Togepi to do it :S
Yeah, did this same thing. With Togepi and all. I had planned on evolving it into Togekiss, but it never happened and it just sat in my PC. Then i took it out, thinking that this would work... The best part is that I used all my revives trying to keep Togepi in the match. >_<

I thought that the friend balls were stupid, just because of the fact that they were pretty much the exact same as Luxury Balls...Moon balls just dont work because there are like 2/200 Pokemon that evolved from Moon Stones in that game...

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I usually forget about them and forget to collect apricorns and take them to him, but I will start using them more when I get around to RNGing in HGSS. The Love Ball is my favorite! So cute. :D

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Kurt never made Chocolate Salty Balls, did he? No... that was Chef, of course! :D

But, in all seriousness, I never actually used this feature in SoulSilver despite being enamoured of it when playing through Gold all those years ago. I actually kinda forgot about it until I read this thread for the first time a few days ago. Having said that, I only really catch Pokemon that I'd conceivably use on my team, and it was just easier to buy a fair amount of Great/Ultra Balls as opposed to waiting a few hours for a custom-made ball, no matter how cool it is.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I hate catching any Pokémon with anything other than a Pokéball, so no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back