• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknamed Pokemon

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I like getting Pokemon with nicknames, as I nickname mine as well. One of my favotite nicknames I got in a trade was a Quilfish named Mrs.Puff.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I don't mind nicknames on recieved Pokemon, it makes them feel more personal. What I DO REALLY mind is when they come with nicknames that showed a trainer did not care. Such as "Stupid" or any vulagar looking ones. Although, I've named almost every Magikarp I've caught "Magi-Krap" so I can't say too much I guess(although I don't trade those away).

I REALLY like foreign Pokemon with the original name intact in a different language (Or Nicknamed as I would likely not notice the difference, especially if it's a Japanese one).

Years
I'm particular about Legendaries and Events. Those, I cannot bare to nickname or have a nicknamed one.
But when it comes to breedables, I like giving my competitive pokes some individuality. All my team players have a nickname : Tumble-Dry the Rotom-W :P , Narcissus the Shiny Milotic, Crimson the Scizor, Jewel the Starmie, Full-Metal the Metagross...
I try to give them cool names.

Years
As long as the nicknames aren't really bad or rude, I don't mind.
As for what I do, I always nickname ALL my Pokemon. It helps separate Pokemon of the same species, and makes it easier to organise my boxes.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
I usually arrange my trades online, where I ask the trader to nickname the Pokemon to my liking. In the case where I am just trying to obtain the Pokemon's species, I don't care about the name- I will most likely just breed it to get desired nature and gender.

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I personally love nicknaming Pokemon. Especially when I make teams and make a theme out of it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I love nicknaming Pokemon and when I request a trade with someone, I usually have them nickname the Pokemon for me. I don't ever use the GTS or random trades though, so I can't say I ran into a nicknamed Pokemon that bothered me. I generally don't like all caps names or really crappy names, like Sparky the Shinx or something. It's not that bad, but it's pretty generic.

All the Pokemon I offer in my shop are nicknamed, so if you don't request a new name or the name to be removed, you're stuck with the name. :P I'm good at naming them though!

Amateur Conductor
Years
  • Seen Feb 20, 2013
I, being the indecisive person I am, generally go between nick naming my Pokemon and not nicknaming them, changing their names with the Name Rater, and then changing their names again.

Like I said, really indecisive.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I used to NEVER name my Pokemon, and it drove me crazy when I would get nicknamed Pokes in a trade. But I actually started nicknaming when online trading was introduced. It was always fun to see what nicknames you'd get from other people!

I bought a used copy of Ruby recently and when I turned it on, there was still a save file on it. Some jerk had named his Pokemon all vulgar, gross names, so I renamed all of them and transferred them to another game and erased the file. Kinda silly, but I felt bad for them! I think eventually I might transfer them to Gen IV and offer them as rescue Pokes to people.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
I bought a used copy of Ruby recently and when I turned it on, there was still a save file on it. Some jerk had named his Pokemon all vulgar, gross names, so I renamed all of them and transferred them to another game and erased the file. Kinda silly, but I felt bad for them! I think eventually I might transfer them to Gen IV and offer them as rescue Pokes to people.

The previous owner of that game was a jerk. If you're going to sell your game or trade one of Pokémon away, make sure the OT/nicknames are age appropriate with the game's target audience. I wouldn't want to be the parent explaining to their child why someone nicknamed stunfisk ********. Not that I've ever nicknamed derpfisk something vulgar. >.>

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
Years
I actually prefer the Pokémon I receive in trades to be nicknamed. I, myself, nickname ALL my Pokémon. Not because I want to leave my mark or anything, but because it's easier to tell the difference between my Pokémon that way.
If I had 10 Clefairies and was going to trade a few of them away because they didn't get the right nature or whatever, it's much more easier for me to think: "So Barbie, Venus and Cookie have Magic Guard as their ability? Might as well, put them up for trading"

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I'm not a fan of nicknames, so I rarely use them on any Pokemon. However, there were a few that I did nickname. For instance: I called my Darumaka 'Moltblob' and Virizion 'Vertelope', because I thought these original names didn't make any sense.

Shiroi Alucard

White Knight
Years
I as well like to nickname practically every Pokémon I catch, I use influences from different countries and history for the names I choose for my Pokémon.

For instance, I have a Pidgeotto in SS, that I named Ciel-Feng which means "Heaven's Feel" using French(Ciel) and Chinese(Feng). Another Pokémon, Froslass, I named "Weiss Lili" which is essentially White in German and a varient of the name "Lili" after the flower.

Soile

Eevee Breeder
Years
As a general rule, I don't like them, but good nicknames don't bother me. Like if they named it Poop Face. Or Rachel.

When I actually do nickname pokémon, it's usually just the pokémon I'm using to play through the game, and I generally do it kind of like the in-game trades do it: a play on the name (as an RPer, I probably imagine this is how you'd do it in real life as well if it wasn't one of those made-up, name irrelevant nicknames). My White 2 team is Pora, Sepe, Aefa, Neta, Abby, and Lye. Any guesses? :P

Years
  • Seen Mar 30, 2013
I name all mine after my favorite beverages. Right now, my lineup is "Scotch", "Moonshine", "Tropius"(traded), "Bourbon", "Absinthe", and "Vodka"!

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2014
I sometimes nickname pokemon I'm actually using. Other than that, I don't nickname anything. Depending on the playthrough, sometimes I use nicknames to ID HM Slaves, sometimes I don't. And finally, when trading between my own games, sometimes I have nothing to give the other game in return and will just catch a random pokemon and call it Worthless (and then subsequently release the poke or restart the game, depending on what the trades were done for)

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
I don't mind NN'd pokemon. Though I do hate it when i get a NN'd legendary/stupid name. I recently got a Latios named "BURN!" and Volcorona named "DaFukAmI?"

On my SoulSilver I had a Torterra named Twiggy/Twiglet, Gengar named Spook, and a few others I can't even remember xD

Back