• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Character Discussion

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Jake you better be coming back here a few times and not just coming in to kill me. D:<

I do hope contests return, but I don't want to see Dawn back besides maybe a cameo. She's had a very full run already- if she came back I'm sure she'd start to get as stagnant as Ash.

I'd like the XY girl protag to be a coordinator though! She doesn't even have to travel with Ash&co, she can just run into them at the contests Cilan his girl companion is doing. The protagonist becoming a rival~

@Vappy Mei should totally show up in Decolora. <3

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Aw yeah poor bbys :( Brandon and Lucas's counterparts were major characters too. They totally got shafted. D: They should all come back for something too. :>

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
as much as it probably pains you that i say this anna, cilan has to go in the next arc. i honestly do not like him at all.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
That's fine, because the writers don't cater to you. <3 They can and might just keep my bby in~ What's your beef with him anyhow?

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
because hes superbrock and we already had brock anyways so i just feel like its a repetitive character. thats ok tho agree to disagree

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Repetitive character? Certainly not. On a surface level it may appear that Cilan has taken Brock's place and functions, but really he's not Brock at all. He cooks, yes. He is the oldest and most experienced of the group, yes. But Cilan's a Sommelier rather than a Breeder/Pokémon Doctor. They both have their passions but the only thing that overlaps is cooking- Cilan is interested in trains, space, fishing, and film whereas Brock focuses on women and Pokémon care. Cilan prefers to spend nights in a Pokémon Centre or hotel, while Brock is a camper. Brock is fairly skilled at mapreading and orienteering while Cilan tends to rely on his GPS thingy. Even their most-made dish is different- Cilan generally makes sandwiches and Brock makes stew.

There was a reason Brock left, you know. He was becoming so very stagnant, rather like Ash has been. And they weren't about to just replace him with a character who was basically the same, because that would not solve the problem at all. So we got Cilan, who is quite different. You may not like him, but he sure as hell is not very much like Brock.

also don't just say agree to disagree when you haven't even presented or heard the arguments gosh

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
i understand your points, i must confess these are only my first impressions of cilan as i have only just started watching the black and white arc. we'll see if he grows on me.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Ah you've only just started? Well then that makes sense that you'd see him like that haha. Just don't compare him to Brock and he'll probably grow on you. :3 Are you watching the English dub or Japanese w/ subtitles or something else?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Fair enough. I personally tend to get mildly annoyed at the dialogue choices in the dub after I've watched the episodes in Japanese, but I will watch them if they're on. Or when I'm with someone who would prefer the dub. Also I swear the dub makes Cilan's character more flat so :|

Years
Boy don't critisize Cilan in front of Anna guys. You know she will rip you apart :D.
Coming back to the thread what I said earlier was just because in past episodes many characters from other regions appear in the anime and became sort of rivals with Ash. Speaking of Which it made me wished for Old Paul to comeback. You know appearing as a vacationer in the Dekorora...

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
i wish for paul back too, he was probably ash's best rival, as they differed in almost every way. just another character i'd like to inquire about is tobias, the guy that beat ash in the sinnoh league. what's his deal? how in the world does he have darkrai and latios? from what ive seen in the anime i thought it was nearly impossible to catch legendary pokemon in pokeballs. help me out here guys.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Boy don't critisize Cilan in front of Anna guys. You know she will rip you apart :D.
eheh. yeah. that does tend to happen, oops...

i wish for paul back too, he was probably ash's best rival, as they differed in almost every way. just another character i'd like to inquire about is tobias, the guy that beat ash in the sinnoh league. what's his deal? how in the world does he have darkrai and latios? from what ive seen in the anime i thought it was nearly impossible to catch legendary pokemon in pokeballs. help me out here guys.
Tobias? we don't know crap about him. We don't know why he's got a Latios or where it came from- it certainly wasn't from Altomare unless Latias was preg with her brother's kids before he died i mean what. We don't know why he's got Darkrai- it could be the one from Canclave, but I feel like that would have upset the balance and idk man he cray. I don't know why they gave him legends when they could have just given him normal or relatively unusual Pokémon who were trained to be ridiculously strong. Like a normal trainer would have.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
We could have Gary back too... xD

I think it would be a good Idea if all of Ash's Rivals come together in one episode and do some epic battling xD

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I'm suddenly getting upset over the "Ash is still 10" thing again guys. Like if Ash is still 10, how is Gary going to grow up and become a fully-fledged researcher? And how is Max ever going to be old enough to begin his Pokémon journey? Or does the non-ageing only apply to Ash? Is everyone he knows going to grow old and die around him? I'm sad and angry now. :( Especially about Max. RSEmakes better bring another trip to Hoenn with Max joining the group as a trainer.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
technically hes 11 because the producers said all thats gone on has taken place in a year. i agree maybe at least have him not be a noob after every new arc begins, and show that hes actually learned something over time. the show wouldnt be as good if he was 26 like he should be now, but maybe if he was like 15, it wouldnt be too bad.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Right, right. He was explicitly 10 when Unova began, so that apparently means his adventures through four regions and an archipelago took place over about 11 months and 3 weeks. If somebody said he's turned eleven in Unova, well that's a start. But he should certainly have been at least fourteen by now, considering where he was at in experience and maturity during Sinnoh. If they were going to let time move for Ash, why wouldn't they have claimed him to be at least twelve at the beginning of Unova? That'd be sensible enough and it's not like the viewers have any particular timeline to go by. But to start ageing him now... that's weird.

Back