• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Years
I guess I'll join this.

A few weeks ago, after I had finished the main storyline for the eighth time, I decided to try my luck at hatching a shiny Pokémon using the Masuda Method (of course - how else would I do it?). It took 4 days and 700+ eggs, but I managed it, and was the owner of my first shiny in the fifth generation - a shiny Litwick! For some reason, the next day, I was in Icirrus City, in the area with the large pools of water, and encountered a shiny Shelmet! I was amazed that I found another so soon after I hatched Litwick, and caught it straight away. It had the Hydration ability, and a Jolly nature - how lucky is that!? I evolved it a few hours later (shiny Accelgor looks cool).

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
Latios Master, you're going to get that shiny Litwick soon. :)

I am new to the forums and this caught my attention. I personally find it extremely hard to find a shiny pokemon without hacking/cheating. but that spoils the fun. is there a technique to finding shinies? thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the SHC!

There are quite a few ways you could look for shinies:

Soft Resetting: Save in front of an interactable overworld Pokemon, like a legendary or a starter. Encounter the Pokemon; if it's not shiny, press A + B + Start + Select (3rd generation) or Start + Select + L + R (4th and 5th generations). Repeat until desired shiny is summoned.

Encountering: Just run around in grass. If the Pokemon isn't shiny, faint it or run.

Egg Hatching: Just hatch thousands of eggs. There's a tactic called the Masuda Method, which increases your chances of hatching a shiny from 1/8192 to 1/2048 (in the 4th gen) or 1/1366 (in the 5th gen). All you need to do is have the two parents be from games of different languages. For example, you could get a Ditto from a Japanese version of the game and use it when you breed.

To me, working the Pokéradar at a 0-chain is akin to going to Japan to get a Big Mac. I can understand choosing a harder method when there's something to gain from it (I myself do this), but when it's for the very same thing, you've lost me. As far as I'm concerned, the chainable species have permanently depreciated in value, and hunting them in an old difficult way won't change that. You might as well chain them and benefit from having one which is competitively useful.

I understand what you're saying, and I completely respect that. The 0-chaining is pretty ridiculous, but I'm still going to hunt for the chainable Pokemon through other methods, like REs or eggs.

shiny Torkoal

shiny tympole

Congratulations, guys! :pink_boogie:

I guess I'll join this.

Welcome to the SHC! Congrats on those two awesome shinies! It would be a sin not to let you join, cos you seem like a good shiny hunter. Since you're the newest member, though, you have to sleep in the cot on the SHC Van, while the rest of us get to relax on the top and get a nice tan.

Wait a sec - you said Litwick was your first 5th gen shiny. Do you have any 3rd or 4th geners? We don't want to wait a few months and then have you say, "Oh yeah, by the way, I have 490 other shinies too." That would make a lot of people mad, and people might start spouting gibberish like "csc" or even longer spam like "SOHCAHTOA!" :P

For me, lots of Johto starters, 1273 Palkia, and a few Drifloon. Manaphy and Mudkip are on hold for now.

EDIT: YES!!!!! YES!! SHE'S HERE!!! FINALLY, SHE'S HERE!!! WHOO!!

SHINY DRIFLOON!!!!!!!!! Sleep Powder, one Ultra Ball, BAM!! The hunt is a success! Another shiny ghost! The battle lasted around 20 seconds, "lol." I saw her as soon as she came across the screen, "lol." I love shiny Drifloon, with the enormous contrast and whatnot. I had been hunting Drifloon since January 28th.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
Congrats on the shiny Torkoal, FuFu!

Congrats on the shiny Tympole, PokeTrainer87!

Welcome to the Shiny Hunter's Club, Rooke! Congrats on the shiny Litwick and Shelmet! I've been hatching Litwicks using the Masuda Method almost everyday since 4/22, which has been almost 7 weeks. So far I've hatched 1,147.

Congrats on the shiny Drifloon, G-Money!

Wow, there have been a lot of shiny Pokémon encountered by our members lately.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Except for me....

SPARKLE YOU DEER THING!

Cobalion has me on the brink of insanity, any tips? I have about 700 SRs.

G-Money

Years
I've been hatching Litwicks using the Masuda Method almost everyday since 4/22, which has been almost 7 weeks. So far I've hatched 1,147.

The common belief is that you haven't even hit the 50th percentile yet in your Litwick hunt. However, you're going to hatch a beautiful blue-flamed sentient candle really soon. :) Why is that?

I've had a hypothesis for a while now that 5th gen MM odds are actually much, much better than 1/1365.3. I finally went through this whole thread and recorded how long each MM hunt took, hoping that I could finally get some evidence to back up this claim.

Although it's a small sample size, it looks like I'm on the right track. Here are all of the amounts of eggs taken to find a shiny via the Masuda Method mentioned in this thread:

~1200
~2000
~700

...for a total average of 459.9565217 MM eggs hatched per shiny. Granted, it's a bit biased because it only counts successful hunts, so lower numbers are more likely to show up. There were a number of people who gave up after a certain number of eggs, and those numbers aren't included here.

Also, that's not counting Fufu's Growlithe or my Magnemite, since they were hatched 1/8192, but if they were included, they would bring the numbers down even further (from ~460 to ~447).

I know the sample size is small, but with 23 trials, I would think that we'd at least be a little closer to the average. I'm going to keep tracking this and see if the law of large numbers eventually pushes the average closer to 1/1365.3, but my guess is that that's not going to happen. After 23 trials, only 2 took longer than the assumed average. 21.7% of all hunts ended with a shiny in less than 10 eggs. Even by not including unsuccessful hunts, that seems pretty fishy to me. There are three possibilities here:

1. The SHC is the luckiest organization ever to exist. We've gotten 23 shinies over the course of a period of encounters where the average group would only have 7.748.
  2. The sample size is too small. Eventually, the law of large numbers will catch up with us, and SHC members will, from this point forward, hatch shinies at a disproportionately slower rate (over the course of a very long time; there will still be shinies hatched very quickly, but they'll become less and less common relative to the hunts that take more than 1365.3 eggs.).
  3. The odds of the Masuda Method are not 1/1365.3.

1337 Palkia :D

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
My shiny-hunting has been super slow lately... guess what, 0/4 shines found in last 2-3wks. Though granted, I've only been hatching 10-15 eggs per day because I'm so busy with schoolwork and all. School doesn't end until June 22nd :(

I might as well forget it for now and buy/play HG after school year is over. There's nothing interesting to do anymore in pokemon black, so yeah... That doesn't mean I'm going to give up completely though!

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
Although it's a small sample size, it looks like I'm on the right track. Here are all of the amounts of eggs taken to find a shiny via the Masuda Method mentioned in this thread:

~1200
~2000
~700

It's amazing that 5 hunts took less than 10 eggs, and 11 under 100.

I'm now up to 1,206 Litwicks. I've been hatching about 60 a day. I fill up two boxes, check their IVs, keep what's good, release the rest, and repeat. All of my hunts have combined for a total of 1,363 eggs, which is about 3 short of the odds. I've also hatched about another 100 eggs that I didn't count to get Pokémon for my Pokédex.

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years
Hi I Have been reading your post to see If I would join and it looks good! so Can I join?

EDIT: YES!!!!! YES!! SHE'S HERE!!! FINALLY, SHE'S HERE!!! WHOO!!

SHINY DRIFLOON!!!!!!!!! Sleep Powder, one Ultra Ball, BAM!! The hunt is a success! Another shiny ghost! The battle lasted around 20 seconds, "lol." I saw her as soon as she came across the screen, "lol." I love shiny Drifloon, with the enormous contrast and whatnot. I had been hunting Drifloon since January 28th.

Spoiler:

Of course you can.

Gratz on that Drifloon, G-Money! It seems you still didnt give me my luck back xD

Hmm... I've done 10k3 secret REs and 1k Sudowoodo's, but now taking a break to play LG for the first time ^^

GL all!

G-Money

Years
MICAH, you're already a member! :) You just need to let us know what other shinies you have so that Landorus can update the Dex on the first page.

Can I join? I have a Shiny Roserade and other random ones.

Sure, welcome to the club! What other shinies do you have?

G-Money, you should add 3,744 eggs and 1,353 eggs to that sample size because that's how much I hatched for my shiny Riolu and Shroomish respectively.

Thanks for the extra data! Your Riolu hunt is by far the longest, by 1,479 eggs! :o

I've gotten some more trials and have updated stats: the average, after 67 trials, is now 584.75. (That could actually be plus or minus .0017, due to the differences between people who say that they got a shiny in x eggs versus the people who said they got a shiny after x eggs.) 13.43% of hunts produced a shiny within 10 eggs, and 37.31% produced a shiny within 100 eggs. Only 9 of the 67 hunts took longer than the assumed average.

There's another possibility that I hadn't thought of before: maybe there's a drastic difference between the probability that any one egg will be shiny and the probability of having found at least one shiny in x eggs. For random encounters, the point at which there's a 50/50 chance of having found a shiny is actually 5678 encounters; 1/8192 is the probability of any one Pokemon being shiny, but there's actually a 63% chance of having found a shiny by your 8192nd encounter.

Here are all of the numbers:

Spoiler:

1506 Palkia

EDIT: 1885 Palkia

No posts in over 2 days. I guess everybody's busy shiny hunting, and posting would just take time away from the hunt! :D

Someone at another forum ran through a computer an event that had a probability of 1/1365. After the first group of 70 trials, the average was 1432.0714. For the second group of 70 trials, the average was 1280.6857. For the third, 1712.6. For the fourth, 1311. For the fifth, 1252.3714.

50 groups of 70 were run. Out of the 50 sets of 70 trials, not a single one yielded an average below 1171.

My collection of 70 MM trials? The average was 587.2898. Maybe if I found another set of 70 MM hunts, the average of that group would be much higher.

There are a lot of things this could be, but it's still pretty interesting. After 50 sets of 70, none averaged less than 1171. I wonder how many sets of 70 you'd have to run before getting an average of 587? I'm sure it's possible, and maybe we just are ridiculously lucky, or not taking into account people who gave up long hunts completely throws everything off. Heck, if infinitely many tests were run, there'd eventually be a group of 70 in which all 70 people consecutively got a shiny on the first egg. Maybe we're just one of those irregularities?

MetalMario knows a lot about statistics and stuff. I'd like to see what he has to say about this, since he could probably make some sense of the results.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I have a new shiny. On tuesday in Japanese Black, I decided to leave Cobalion and after tracking down a male Axew for Masuda Method, I went to Rt 1. I was just walking in the grass and the next thing you know, a Lillipup jumps out. I saw the saprkles and heard the sound and freaked out. It was shiny! I quickly caught it in the first Pokeball. That was a lucky one and completely unexpected. I wish it couldve been an Axew or Boldore but a shiny is a shiny!. Id be thrilled to death if Ho-oh or Tirtouga decided to shine soon.

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
Congrats on the shiny Lillipup, Shiny Celebi!

1,266 Litwicks. I'm starting to hatch less and less now. I only have one empty box left to use. I'll have to eventually release a bunch of Litwicks with a perfect IV in one stat to make more room.

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years
My parents installed some annoying rule where I can only DS 5hrs a week, sadly, and they look at the in-game-clock off all the games I own where there is a in-game-clock to check if I really did it 5hrs. Now this is annoying, but still they forgot about SRing ^^ I can still do MM (SR-MM), regular SR AND RE!!! (just turn off the game when you're done without saving) Now I can't play that much on LG anymore considering I'm in the mid of the game, but whatever. I also got another idea; when I get an shiny, I'll just trade it to the flashcard (cuz they didn't record that) and EV it there. That way, I'll still be able to hunt a lot without them knowing. ^^ Oh and I just paused my Secret RE hunt wich is at 10k something, to make place for my first hunt which I didn't complete; SHINY TAILLOW! I started this in November but after 175 eggs I quitted so now, I'm picking it up from 175 eggs I hatched b4 and I'm now at 200. I use the SR-MM method so they won't notice of me going over the time allowed. ^^ And also people; I found a online Pokémon Storage Box! This can be usefull for you Latios Master considering you can just upload your Litwicks to that thing and have them all stored there. They will still be there on your game, but you can release them there now cos you'll have them there instead! ^^ Go here: http://pokecheck.kraftpaper.org/ The good thing is that you can also view all the data of your pokémon and also download the .pkm! I use it myself to know the exact IVs of my pokémon and to have my shinies on the internet too; if I would ever lose any of my games with a shiny on it, it would still be there! :D

Weber

Thats Farfetch'd
Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2013
if you guys and gals dont mind me being on here i might as well join in on the fun.

heres the story one what im working on now, i wanted to get a gba micro for funzies becuase i work the night shift and gotta do something at night and found one that had fire red included (as well as advance wars but thats getting off topic) so i bounced on it, now im soft reseting for a shiny charmander... no luck yet but i only have 1.5k resets so hopefully soon it will co operate but who knows.

also its nice to see other people hunting shinies, and i will have to pm landorous (my spelling isnt the best with these new gen 5 names)

G-Money

Years
...Lillipup jumps out. I saw the saprkles and heard the sound and freaked out. It was shiny!

Congrats! (I just recently figured out who you were, "lol.")

Darn, that's awful. My parents do stuff like that, too, although they haven't been enforcing that much this summer. :)

I had never heard of that site before, but it sounds pretty cool, like a larger box system. Just be careful with it - make sure you don't get your hidden ID! RNGed shinies don't count for the club.

if you guys and gals dont mind me being on here i might as well join in on the fun.

Welcome! Good luck on that Charmander hunt!

Last edited:
Years
G-Money, your math is wrong. For your math to be right, you must not give up a hunt ever, and you must also not count any shinies until you've completed any hunts you were doing concurrently with them.

Imagine the scenario: You attempt to Masuda breed for a given species. If you don't get it within 500 eggs, you switch to another species. This means the number of tries from each of your successes will never exceed 500.

Count the number of eggs you've hatched on all your 5th-gen games, add them together, divide by the number of shinies you've hatched. That's your experimental mean.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
Haven't had any time to hunt recently. Been far to busy and I have a lot of PS3 games I have been playing. I get in as many SR on zapdos as I can but still had no luck which really sucks. and random encountering on black also with no luck.

Gratz to all the new shinys people have gotten.

Back