• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Gen II GSC - The One GSC Trainer Editor

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2014
The One GSC Trainer Editor

Code:
img33.imageshack.us/img33/5532/onegsctrainer.png
OneGSCTrainer is an another program written in Python which enables you to edit trainer data. What are its main features?

1. Supports Gold, Silver and Crystal versions.

2. Allows to add, delete and edit trainers and their pokemons - no limitations! The only limit is amount of empty space left.

3. Reads pointers. Note that if your trainer data contains trash bytes you won't be able to use the tool.

4. Versatility - just see by yourself.

Credit me if you use my tool to edit your data.

Note: This is first released version - I might not be aware of some bugs. For the safety of your project, use 'Save as...' instead of 'Save' option.

Waiting for your feedback, feel free to test for bugs I haven't found out yet. Also, mind that due to preparing comboboxes of names, moves and items for all 6 pokemon the program takes few seconds to load.

Download v. 1.0 link:
Code:
mediafire.com/?z4gmg2mryau889x

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
I downloaded and tried it but it keeps on just freezing and not responding when I try to load a ROM with added trainers.

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2014
I can't give you precise answer if I can't see your ROM, but I can assume it's because your ROM file trainer data structure is not correct. For example, not ending one trainer name with 0x50 causes program to freeze, while in game this can be undetectable if you don't fight with such trainer.

I would send you a link to article about trainer structure in Gen 2, but this forum doesn't allow me to because of irrational reasons.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
I tried using it with Pokemon Silver and it worked. All my trainers in my hack work fine in game, even the ones I added and edited. If there are more than 494 trainers and the pointers to these trainers' data is different than the original Silver Rom would that cause it to crash? I've been using another GSC trainer Editor before I found yours but that one did not allow me to add trainers and change their data type, etc. So I had to do all of that manually but otherwise that trainer editor works fine with all of my trainers. I also went ahead and copied my hack, got rid of all the extra trainers so there were only 494 trainers, and I redid my pointers. The 494 trainers were still not the same as the original silver but I didn't think it should have mattered because the pointers still pointed to the correct offsets. However, after all the effort, it still wouldn't respond. I know for a fact there are no errors in my trainer data or else my other GSC trainer editor would have crashed as well. Is there a way I could send you my hack?

I really want to use your hack because through yours I can add and edit trainer data without having to move things around in the rom with a hex editor.

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2014
Well, you can upload it on a storage site like speedyshare.com and send me a private message with link.

Ok, I've got your PM with ROM file.
I'm not into the code of my tool anymore because it's few months since I've released it, but let me try to explain:
In the beginning, the program loads trainer class pointers. These pointers point to start of each trainer class data. In order to find ending of current class data, the tool finds a pointer which points to lowest offset which is higher than start data offset (finds the next higher value).
It seems like you have some bad pointers. For example 915C at offset 0x39958 which points to 0x39c91 which is in the middle of Karen data, before Koga entry. The tool recognizes it as the end of Karen data and then freezes because this incomplete part of Karen data doesn't end with 0xFF.
It's very possible that there are more errors of this kind in your data.

That's all for now, I've got to go sleeping.

Google "wiki iimarck trainers", the first result should link you to article explaining trainer data.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Thank you so much. You were right, two of my pointers were off. Before I had found your program I did all the editing manually for trainers. It turned out I made a typo like you noticed in Karen's pointer and one in the Twins pointer. Now its working fine

dragonite trainer

Retro Gamer, rarely here anymore.
Years
If this is in python, would you release the python files so linux/unix users can use it too? I'd really appreciate it. It isn't working in WINE for me. PyInstaller makes it so hard to decompile...
*edit*
I noticed your username and the compile paths and things in your PYZ file. You might want to remove those for privacy. :)

*edit 2*
well, it took lots of work, but I got the program extracted from the EXE and decompiled. I changed the encodings to UTF-8 for compatibility with more OSes than windows, and was able to get it to run :)
I attached the file below, and I also posted a link to it on dropbox so people hopefully don't have to register.

This should now work on Linux, Mac OS X (may need to install python), or windows (will definitely need to install python). Run it with Python 2.7, with something like this:
Code:
python2.7 OneGSCTrainer.py
or if you can't find 'python2.7' try
Code:
python OneGSCTrainer.py
Happy hacking!

DOWNLOAD MIRROR
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf426rqgfxn8mhu/one-gsc-trainer-editor.tar.bz2?dl=0

Updated 15 March 2017 to fix the dead dropbox link (they disabled "public folder" links for some reason).
Also re-uploaded the attachment because it was replaced with a 1px*1px blank GIF after that security breach.

Attachments

• one-gsc-trainer-editor.tar.bz2
    19.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
This should now work on Linux, Mac OS X (may need to install python), or windows (will definitely need to install python). Run it with Python 2.7, with something like this:
Code:
python2.7 OneGSCTrainer.py
or if you can't find 'python2.7' try
Code:
python OneGSCTrainer.py
Happy hacking!

Thanks for that. I'm surprised this didn't provide the .py files from the start since Python runs wonderfully on Linux and Mac OS's as well. Good to see more people using cross-platform friendly languages instead of .NET which runs horribly (in most cases) on Mono.

dragonite trainer

Years
Thanks for that. I'm surprised this didn't provide the .py files from the start since Python runs wonderfully on Linux and Mac OS's as well. Good to see more people using cross-platform friendly languages instead of .NET which runs horribly (in most cases) on Mono.
You can make some .NET programs (especially .NET 2.x) programs that don't run in mono run with WINE and the official microsoft .NET runtime, if you use a new $WINEPREFIX

It's just too bad that a lot of these utilities also use VB6.

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2022
can this tool edit the ai or computers difficulty? cause i find that if you have the correct levels in any hacked game whether its a hack meaning harder opponents, then the ai makes stupid decisions, and its rather easy just like the original game.

KinkajusRevenge

KinkajusRevenge
Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2015
I don't know if anyone's still following this or not, but I have been using this on Gold. Suddenly when I got to the trainers on route 27, on the way to the E4, it stopped working. I can't really change anything anymore. Anyone else encounter such problems?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 24, 2014
I tried using this, and it wouldn't work for me. There wasn't any freezing, but nothing changed either. How do I get this working? Is there something I missed while I was reading these forums?
( Also, is there a tutorial on how to use this somewhere? If so, that's be really helpful. Thanks. :) )

Last edited:

dragonite trainer

Years
If your trainer data has trash bytes, the original author said, you won't be able to use the tool.

Also, if your ROM is expanded or scripting has overwritten part of the data, that would do it.\

If neither of those are the reason, I can't help much. I don't know what your problem is.

Years
I want to say first that I used to use this application and it is great. Secondly, it stopped working. I downloaded it originally on my old Windows 7 Computer. It worked perfectly fine, and I never had any trouble with it. Then, I got a new computer. I tried to use the program and it simply doesn't respond. I redownloaded it. Still nothing. I tried running it in a variety of compatibility mode settings. Nothing. I tried running it on my girlfriend's Windows 7. Still nothing. I am really confused what happened and why it won't work. The application just doesn't open. I don't understand it to save my life. Can I get any help here for how to fix this problem?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I want to say first that I used to use this application and it is great. Secondly, it stopped working. I downloaded it originally on my old Windows 7 Computer. It worked perfectly fine, and I never had any trouble with it. Then, I got a new computer. I tried to use the program and it simply doesn't respond. I redownloaded it. Still nothing. I tried running it in a variety of compatibility mode settings. Nothing. I tried running it on my girlfriend's Windows 7. Still nothing. I am really confused what happened and why it won't work. The application just doesn't open. I don't understand it to save my life. Can I get any help here for how to fix this problem?
You could try installing python and running the python file given by 'dragonite trainer' through Windows command prompt.
Or.. you could simply modify the trainer data with a hex editor which really isn't tedious at all :)

If you want to learn how to do this kind of stuff by hex editing, try using google to find a tutorial. I have also recorded videos in YouTube showing plenty of different things related to pokemon GSC and GB/C hacking in general. Trainer editing is covered at the end of part 1. That doesn't involve straight solution to adding more trainers though but after understanding part 2, you could do that also.

Years
Ok, so I'd edited every trainer up to route 38, and then I saved and closed the app. When I re-opened it, all the trainer's levels were back to their original and all my editing had been undone, despite me clicking save.
Not sure if this happens to anyone else but the fact that this can happen means something's wrong

dragonite trainer

Years
Ok, so I'd edited every trainer up to route 38, and then I saved and closed the app. When I re-opened it, all the trainer's levels were back to their original and all my editing had been undone, despite me clicking save.
Not sure if this happens to anyone else but the fact that this can happen means something's wrong
I'll try it out. Thanks for the heads up (Sorry it took so long…).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
I can't open this app in win 10 just like the problem etchasketch encountered,so I installed the python and use the attached files you gave to run it,but failed,it showed error ModuleNotFoundError:No module named 'mx'
What should I do for solving this problem?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 8, 2022
Why I can't open the .exe file after I download it. Thx. (Idk if u still remember this tool after 8 years lol)

Back