• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Italy really don't have a worthy challenger if they finish top of Group D. It's probably gonna go down to either Ivory Coast or Japan to finish 2nd in Group C. Italy could face Holland/Chile/Croatia/Mexico in the QF's.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I was very disappointed in the Japan v Greece game tonight. Greece really didn't push that much after going down to 10 men. Japan had chances but didn't take them. No one is out of the group yet but it's gonna take a ton for Greece or Japan to get 2nd, because Ivory Coast is now the favorites to go through.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, I'm pulling for Costa Rica to beat Italy tomorrow. I really hope that they do.

Congratulations, you got it right! I hope you had put a fiver on it, because, otherwise, I'm afraid all you are going to get out of this is the personal satisfaction of guessing one of the biggest upsets so far XD

Gabri

m8
Years
As much as I like to see the underdogs win, I was pissed by Italy's defeat. Cassano was a huge round 0. Pirlo wasn't in his brightest but he had all of Costa Rica's midfield pressing him. Balotelli never had space for anything, and in the one single through ball that had no one offside, Insigne decides to waste it the way he did.

Oh, and England's out. Sorry, mates.

Well, let's just hope that we can beat the US, else this was a bad round of matches.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I'm definitely buying a Costa Rica jersey after this World Cup has finished. I didn't put a fiver on, I put £1.25 on it, ended up with £7.50. I can get myself a pizza to enjoy the Ghana v Germany game tomorrow.

Oh and btw, England will make it to the Euro 2016 finals, it's a given. All they gotta do is buy the tickets.

Years
All I have to say is wow, what a huge win for Costa Rica's team and their country as a whole. Comparing their contrasting populations is a real eye-opener: Italy's population is around 60 million people, while Costa Rica is sitting pretty at 4.8 million. I'm happy for them, even if I picked Italy to win, haha. Now hopeful that Brazil can bounce back from a rather disappointing showing against Mexico.

Years
Well lets hope by 2016 Hodgson has gone full youth (lets face it with 24 spots at the finals qualifying will be a doddle so we might as well) and we see a large amount of progression. No more Glen Johnson, no more Phil Jagielka, no more average players who were hardly worth an England place at their prime nevermind now. It's a shame we'll probably just see Flanagan & Stones and no real risks like Will Hughes or someone.

Anyway for the rest of the tournament (though I fear they'll soon follow us out) GO PORTUGAL GOOO!!!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Who do we want to replace Stevie Me in the 'ball pinging' position? Tom Huddlestone?

Snoddy in the kit release preview video. That's pretty promising.

Last edited:

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
Well at the half of the Germany vs Ghana match, the score is 0 - 0. Course odds are not good for Ghana, since if Germany wins today and the US wins or ties against Portugal tomorrow, Ghana is out. Where as if Germany wins today and the US wins or ties against Portugal tomorrow, Germany will advance to the Round of 16. I hope Germany wins.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
USA v Portugal today, and I can't see Portugal playing well against them. There's a few more cracks in the team which aren't gonna easily be patched up.

Gabri

m8
Years
With Coentrão's injury, our left back side will be an open highway, since his replacement is someone who's done like three or four matches in that role in his whole life. And that was playing for a Benfica side that crushed almost anything in sight this year, against lowly clubs of this league - and even in his natural position (midfield) he is nothing special. Not so worried about Pepe since his replacement Neto is not bad at all, but is not used to this level of playing. And I'm glad Hugo Almeida is out, how is that guy even called for the national team anymore, seriously. Even I would do better than him. And I hope the manager changes something in that midfield because they've been a disgrace lately.

But yes, we have to stop the whole "get the ball to Ronaldo and leave him to do the rest" or else we're screwed.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I'm not even upset about that match. It was disappointing how poor Korea played in the first half, but they came back with fire in the 2nd half. They played their hearts out and never gave up no matter how bleak it looked. It was an unfortunate result for them, but they should be proud of how hard they played. I know I am.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I don't even. This is the best World Cup I have ever watched. There is no way in hell to know how any match ever is going to end. It's beautiful.

Gabri

m8
Years
Yet again, told ya it wouldn't be good. What a ♥♥♥♥ing waste of time. I should have focused on the exam I have this week.

EDIT: Won't change anything. We'll have to crush Ghana for like 5-0 and hope that the Germans don't decide to do Klinsmann a favour.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Argh, that game! I was so excited for the US to go through, they played very well for long periods of time at various points despite a pretty sloppy start.

This is seriously shaping up to be the best World Cup I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Back