• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Mario Bros. No Power-Ups Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Username: Pixelrushe
Game: Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels

I'm gonna do it. I feel like someone has to try, at least. I have actually beaten this game ONCE before after God knows how many rage-quits and with that being said, I probably won't be able to finish this challenge buuuuut I'll give it my best shot. FYI, I'll be playing the 25th Anniversary Edition port for the Wii if that's OK? I think I have a Dazzle somewhere so I'll try to record my progress as proof. ^^

Oh and are you allowed to play multiple games?
Godspeed, man. Would love to see you do it.

Give this man a special emblem if he does it!

Years
Great! Then I'd like to sign up for New Super Mario Bros. U as well. Will most likely have a far more enjoyable experience with that than Lost Levels! :)

Name: Pixelrushe
Game: New Super Mario Bros. U

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'll be playing Mario World from my phone, so count me in on this :D

Username: Meganium90
Game: Super Mario World (GBA)

also to the guy trying out Lost Levels without power-ups, lord have mercy on your soul.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Current progress: I'm about half way through the third world in New Super Mario Bros. for DS. Personally, I think that the third world is easier than the second. I had to halt playing because I can't find my charger and both of my DS Lites are about to die. Hopefully I can start playing again tomorrow or Wednesday because I'm going to have my friend, who has a charger, charge them for me tomorrow. :p

Years
Update Number 1:

I just beat Tree Zone, I just had one quick question before I move on though

Do 1-Up's count as Powerup's or specificity for this game, extra lives you win through bounus stages or the Slot Machine? I've been avoiding the so far, but I just wanted to double check before I continue.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
All right, guys, time for a quick update! Last time, I was able to finish three levels from world number one. Yesterday, I've managed to complete the rest of the levels. And today, I've gotten four levels done from world two. Like last time, I was pretty close to touching a power-up today. Thankfully, I was able to avoid it by standing still. If I had taken even a single step, then I probably would have obtained the power-up and get myself to restart the challenge. d:

Out of the four levels I've faced today, my favorite would definitely have to be the third. It was quite fun to get through. The course had things called "Reversible Platforms," metallic tiles that float in the air. Every time you jump, they switch around their positions. And if you end up not landing on them, then you immediately fall down to the ground and lose one of your lives. These are quite tricky, and always require you strategize before making a move.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Update #2:

I literally did the same levels as [supporter]Perdition Haze[/supporter] haha. My favorite of the levels was W2L3, where you are supposed to use the propeller block in order to advance. But since I couldn't use them I made some giant moon jumps instead :P
Fortunately the level goes down instead of up so I could land each jump. However there was one part that required the propeller block so...

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
There's a segment on Forest of Illusion 3 which requires a powerup. I'm recording it in parts, so I'm gonna end up going to Star World 5 through the fortress. Still gotta get the Green Switch Palace yet.

Years
There's a segment on Forest of Illusion 3 which requires a powerup. I'm recording it in parts, so I'm gonna end up going to Star World 5 through the fortress. Still gotta get the Green Switch Palace yet.

I've managed to beat that level using the secret exit. Here is the trick:

1zpjkaq.jpg

Position the key and yourself the same way as the screenshot. Jump straight up and eat the key with Yoshi. If timed correctly, the key can cause some of the yellow blocks to spin as it is getting eaten by Yoshi's tongue. I accidentally discovered this trick yesterday and I was able to replicate it after figuring out what was causing those blocks to spin.

Unfortunately, that victory was short lived. It seems impossible to beat the Sunken Ship because you have to pick up the star at the end of the level. I even tried to hug the left wall after coming out of the pipe but you still pick up the star. Ugh, it looks like I just have to reach Bowser's Castle through the Star World after all.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Update Day #3:

Apparently my DS Lite charger came in the mail from Amazon yesterday, but my parents didn't tell me about it until today. Anyways, I started playing again today and got through World 3 and am almost at the halfway point at World 5.

Al of the levels at World 3 were easy except for when I had to challenge the Cheep Cheep boss. That took me like 15 different lives, ugh it was a pain. I'm currently stuck at the Bowser Jr. castle in World 5. After World 5, the last two will be extremely difficult.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I'd just like to say that I have completed Super Mario World, taking the star route from Forest of Illusion (because of the Forest of Illusion 3 issue). I have videos in parts, and also the route that I took. I also die a few times whilst recording.

Yoshi's Island 1, Yellow Switch Palace, YI2, YI3, YI4, Iggy's Castle, Donut Plains 1, DP2, Donut Ghost House, DP3, DP4, Morton's Castle, Vanilla Dome 1, VD2 (Key), Red Switch Palace, VD2, Vanilla Ghost House, VD3, VD4, Lemmy's Castle, Cheese Bridge Area, Cookie Mountain, Ludwig's Castle, Forest of Illusion 1, DP2 (Key), Green Switch Palace, FoI2 (Key), Blue Switch Palace, FoI2, FoI3, Forest Ghost House, FoI4, Forest Secret Area, Forest Fortress, Star World 4, Front Door.

EDIT: I would not consider 1-ups as powerups, since you are not powering up Mario in any way, only giving him lives.

Another EDIT: I had to take the videos down because of stupid copyright notices. Everything is just getting stupid now.

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Username: KoboraX
Game: Super Mario World

I am planning to record the whole run, just so there's proof that I did the playthrough without powerups. I might just suicide if I do get one just so I don't need to worry about that issue and just redo the level.

Years
Quick Update:

So a few days ago I managed to reach World 6 in Lost Levels. I honestly was starting to have a... well, I wouldn't call it fun but a tolerable experience with the game, and then I started World 5, where I realised what I was actually getting myself into. Anyway, I hope to finish the game within this week. :P

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Just a quick little update. I managed to survive Yoshi's Island without dying...an extreme number of times. I'll try getting the video uploaded soon, but most of it is just me rambling about stuff while trying to dodge powerups and everything that wanted to kill me.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Without any power-ups, this is one of the most arduous games that I have ever played. To get through World 6, it took me at least 3 hours. I've been playing a few hours each day since Tuesday. Finally I'm at the final castle on World 8. Will post pictures tonight or tomorrow once I beat the game. This is a very hard challenge. xD

Update Today:

Finally beat that last castle and Bowser. Only took me about an hour. lol

Here are some pics for verification:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

-MG

In-training Alchemist
Years
Hey, this seems pretty interesting. I want to join!!!

Username: MG
Game: Super Mario Land

Gotta save Daisy! See ya! {XD}

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Whoa, almost missed the deadline, but sign me up!

Username: LoudSilence
Game: Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (it's just a port onto GBC with the ability to save/check your world)

Hardest SMB game for me, without power-ups this is gonna be intense! Starting today.

Last edited:
Years
This morning I actually remembered about doing this challenge (pretty much a standalone challenge), and started NSMB2 while I wait for my GTS deal to finish.

I'm currently at world 4. Will post screenshot once I beat the final world (if).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back