• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Darkstone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2016
nxjfwj.jpg

Introduction:
I've been working on this game for a couple months and I never bothered to make a thread for it because I wasn't far enough into the development phase. Now that it's nearing completion I decided the time was right. I hope you'll like what you see!

Story:

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

You start your journey in Maron Town. There, you live with your mother and father, although the later is often away. But it's for a good reason, you are the son/daughter of Duncan, a famous pokemon trainer who used to be in the elite four. He now travels the world looking for rare pokemons.
When you wake up, your mother calls for you downstairs telling you that your father came by and left a Pokemon for you. You then set out to become a pokemon trainer, just like your dad.

But something's broiling, Pokemons are starting to be agitated. As if they knew what was coming. The team rocket, feeling that this is a golden opportunity to catch rare pokemons has moved to Shanae (The region the game is set in) and is hard at work.

As you follow in your father's footsteps, you'll face many challenges that'll strengthen your bond with your father, friends, and pokemons.

Settings:
The story is set in the region of Shanae. A vibrant land filled with surprises and challenges
3532gz6.jpg

(Note:Not complete yet)

Screenshots:
23t0c5v.jpg
aooz7m.jpg
e6emc7.jpg
jpa39z.jpg
35jkm4j.jpg
sw70yg.jpg
28l8361.jpg
rk7e40.jpg
k5fef.jpg
f27v8.jpg
16itn3b.jpg
nejebt.jpg
dylseu.jpg
i38jy9.jpg

Features:
Tons of sidequests
Time based events
A whole new region to explore
Story-Driven
Jobs
New battle Backgrounds
Bug Catching Contest

Pokemon fighting tournament
New items
Tons of custom graphics

Progress:
Mapping: 60%
Events: 60%
Graphics: 90%
Side Quests: 30%
Overall: 60%

DEMO:

Soon

Team:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2016
*Update*

I've been working on lighting effects and I'm trying to make them turn off during the night. So far it's going well :)

2q3t4yb.jpg

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
I've been working on this game for a couple months and I never bothered to make a thread for it because I wasn't far enough into the development phase.

Good stuff! I commend you for having the patience for that; too many devs these days just make a thread after what seems like a day or so of work.

good luck :D

DarkShadow21

Master of dark fire!!
Years
The game looks pretty nice but with the mapping it looks a little strange because it looks like it has rmxp tiles, default pokemon tiles and kyledove's tiles all in the game. A word of advice try to make it all look like the same style. If you have to try making custom tiles there are a few tutorials on deviantart for making tiles.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
The game looks pretty nice but with the mapping it looks a little strange because it looks like it has rmxp tiles, default pokemon tiles and kyledove's tiles all in the game. A word of advice try to make it all look like the same style. If you have to try making custom tiles there are a few tutorials on deviantart for making tiles.

Was gonna say about the tiles, but you beat me... Other than that, game looks fine so far... Quick grammer mistake though, Pokemons in the main post, is still Pokemon my friend :classic:. (not really a problem)

I like the design of the maps, besides tile clashing, good use of the Lighting effects... I like the Eevee Vs. Onix battle too, classic "Oh for god sake" start to a battle...

I'd like to hear, well, see, more about the game itself though, pictures are great, but sometimes it's good to read! Well done! X

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2016

There's no RMXP default tiles though. And I'd like if you could point out an exemple on a screenshot so I can look into it. Thanks!

DarkShadow21

Master of dark fire!!
Years
e6emc7.jpg

I think the tile in question is the tree on the left side.​

yes that is one of them the other that kinda sticks out is the cave scene on the second row down. it looks odd with the dppt style waterfall and water mixed with the rse style cave tiles. It would probably be just as good by recoloring some of the tiles to look more of the coloring of the dppt style tiles

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Some C&C:

-- Try not to mix generations / styles of tiles. They stick out like a sore thumb and make your game look less impressive.

-- If you're going to take screenshots, save them as .PNG so that they are saved in their original quality.

-- Some of your lighting effects are incredibly excessive. Adding more and more lighting effects does not make your game more impressive & can be quite annoying. Also, in one of your screenshots your character appears to have 2 shadows?

Apart from those points, it's a good start and you've managed to do an impressive amount of work without any help. Well done! :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2016
Some C&C:

-- Try not to mix generations / styles of tiles. They stick out like a sore thumb and make your game look less impressive.

-- If you're going to take screenshots, save them as .PNG so that they are saved in their original quality.

-- Some of your lighting effects are incredibly excessive. Adding more and more lighting effects does not make your game more impressive & can be quite annoying. Also, in one of your screenshots your character appears to have 2 shadows?

Apart from those points, it's a good start and you've managed to do an impressive amount of work without any help. Well done! :)

Yeah I mixed a lot of things. I have one big tileset with resources from all over the place+ some of my own. I'm probably gonna Get it all fixed once the demo is done.

I shall save them as PNG from now on

Yeah I've been experimenting with lighting effects so that's why it's not that good yet lol.

I'll keep working on it and hopefuly it'll end up being something good :)

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Yeah I mixed a lot of things. I have one big tileset with resources from all over the place+ some of my own. I'm probably gonna Get it all fixed once the demo is done.

I shall save them as PNG from now on

Yeah I've been experimenting with lighting effects so that's why it's not that good yet lol.

I'll keep working on it and hopefuly it'll end up being something good :)

One thing I have picked up on as far as lighting is concerned, it is hard to pull off. Garnet get's away with it because the tone matches the atmosphere and is subtle enough not to be distracting but visible enough to have appeal.

Lighting effects are also something that I personally think should be avoided for the most part. It is one thing to use them in special areas, but over using them can kill the unique feel for special areas if the player has lighting effects everywhere they go.

there_is_no_place_like_home____by_worldslayer608-d48v4bv.png

Looks a lot more natural and interesting than...

6oz86o.png

Limiting lighting effects to special areas also keeps a high level of interest in exploring the area for those keeping an eye on your game. It leaves them feeling just that; special.​

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Again, over two months old Shaly, please stop reviving old threads.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back