• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#17: Fighting Fire with Fire

Which is your favorite?

• Total voters
Years
Welcome to the seventeenth edition of the Poké-Poll of the Week here in Pokémon Polls! As always, make sure you're following all PC and PP rules in this thread, especially:
Don't just list- expand on your answers! Don't just tell us that Pikachu is your favorite Pokémon- tell us why! If you're just listing or giving very short answers, your post may be deleted, and could be up for a warning or an infraction if it becomes a recurring issue.
Just a heads up, but we're always taking suggestions for future POTW questions. If you happen to suggest one that we like (either with your post or in a VM to myself), not only will we use your poll, but you'll earn a special emblem for your contribution! With that being said, this week's poll question is:

Which of the Fire/Fighting type starter Pokémon is your favorite?

Since there's only 3 choices this week, it'll be another single choice poll, but let us know if you have a second (or even third) favorite in your posts below!

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I said it before somewhere, but honestly Blaziken was/is my bro. We have a bromance and it is strong. I picked Torchic when gen III first came out and I had no idea what it was going to end up as. I was disappointed in Combusken because it is the epitome of the awkward middle school phase in Pokemon form. When it finally evolved into Blaziken I was so happy. I thought it was one of the coolest looking Pokemon ever. Also I had never found much interest in fighting types before, so Blaziken was a really interesting combo for me and opened me up to fighting types. Anyway after that I replayed RSE countless times and I picked Torchic nearly every time.

Sometimes I give Infernape a really bad rap because of my disgust for apes, but it's really not that bad of a Pokemon. I used it quite a few times when playing the fourth gen, I just get bored of it after awhile. Emboar though I really do hate. Fire/fighting was a tired concept to me by the time the fifth gen came around and it was just so disappointing to see it used again. Not to mention I think Emboar got the worst design out of the three too.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Blaziken! To be honest, I don't use fire starters much anymore since Generation 3, but I still love Blaziken the best out of the choices. Blaziken is powerful, strong and has a cool design. Infernape is okay, I've used him a few times, but that's about it. I don't like Emboar, but I find Tepig quite cute. All in all, Blaziken is my favorite fire/fighting starter. (No fire starter can beat Typhlosion though <3)

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Blaziken is my favorite one, and I liked it before it got Speed Boost. It's the original Fire/Fighting starter, and its not based off of an animal I'm not that fond of (never liked pigs or monkeys that much). Infernape is pretty good in battles....but not Emboar so much.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Reminds me of the name of the episode where Ash's Monferno evolves XD

But Blaziken>>>>the other two. He is the 'original' fire fighter, and I figured he's a real treat to use 'specially in Hoenn since he nicely combines Attack and Special Attack and leans a lot of useful moves. Early on, Combusken really benefits from Double Kick for the first, third and fifth gym. Besides, after he got Speed Boost for competitive battling there was no contest. Blaziken is the bomb. Sleek design, totally ignorable that he's based on a chicken (lel) and powerful attacks. What's more, he's gotten himself a friggin' mega evolution that really rocks the core out of starters, along with Swampert and Sceptile.

When I first saw Infernape I cringed, seeing that he's just an inferior clone for Blaziken. All right, he may be not now but I can't help feeling that they wasted Fire-type potential with Infernape.

Emboar, too, bores me. After I saw what Tepig evolved into, and then seeing the final evolution, I immediately reset the game. If it isn't bad enough that it's another Fire/Fight type, it's an ugly one. All through the game he was a bore because he wasn't so fast and couldn't withstand many water moves. A mega evolution might set things right, but for now, I'm sticking with Blaziken.

Haha, I don't hate the two now, and I do agree that they are both cool and good in their own ways, but Blaziken did not need either Speed Boost or the mega to be awesome for me. It's already so much better.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
So many Blaziken votes...and I just had to add one more. xD

I like Blaziken most because it was the "original" Fire/Fighting type. It was the Pokemon with the first appearance of the typing, and was the best in my opinion. Its appearance screamed awesome, and its Mega was, while unnecessary, looked absolutely badass. Speed Boost kicked it to Ubers where it can mess with the big guys of competitive - Blaziken's partying with monsters like Xerneas, Kyogre, Kyurem-White and Zekrom, while the other 2 starters chill in the lower tiers. Also, Blaziken's movepool was pretty awesome, too. Double Kick for days, yo.

Sure, Infernape was my first starter Pokemon ever, but it can't compare to Pokemon's rendition of KFC. :p

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
Years
I'm so going with Blaziken because I prefer him over the other two. Infernape may be the fastest, but his defense sucks. Emboar's too slow for my taste, and I go for good speed and attack/special attack pokemon that can survive hits. Blaze Kick is so deadly, especially being a high critical ratio move. Plus, who's the cool fire fighting type with a mega? Blaziken people! Plus out of these three fire fights, if there was the cutest basic out of the three, who would it be? Say Torchic out loud! And in his mega, Blaziken's faster than Infernape and has a wicked attack and can withstand those earthquakes and fly.

I'm a classic type of person and I grew attached to Torchic in Sapphire. At first I really struggled those first gyms until he evolved. Combuskin's double kick really saved my life in the game and focus energy made them critical hits! Team Aqua might have had those water and dark types, but they were no match for him. Yet I felt like my Combuskin was missing something else out there in the battles. So when I reached level 36, I was just like impress me Blaze (the nickname I put since Torchic).

So when the text said " Congratulations! Your Combuskin evolved to Blaziken!", I was left with my mouth hanging open. I couldn't believe how my little Torchic could turn out to be such a cool fire fight. But the game wasn't done there. " Blaziken wants to learn Blaze Kick. But it only has four moves. Delete a move for Blaze Kick?" I was just like yes buster, this is the rise of a new legend! We kicked some Team Aqua ass, and I kept focus energy for safety measures.

When fourth generation came around, I chose Turtwig and by the time he was Torterra, my rival had Infernape. Once I found out it was fire fight, I was like how dare nintendo rip off Blaziken like that? At least make the design look good GF! Unova came and chose snivy. When it was Servine, I taught it ariel ace so when I battled pignite, I was like this is plain damage. To my disgust and surprise, it was super effective! I saved before the battle so I turned off my game. I went to Sapphire and viewed the original awesome, Blaziken. He is the only fire fight in my book as stage two that is awesome.

Years
I voted for Infernape, because he's well, a monkey and given my Chinese Zodiac sign is the monkey it's pretty fitting he'd be my go-to Sinnoh starter. Has great offensive presence and speed to pose threats to a lot of foes, and a good movepool to cover a good chunk of things.

I do love all three, but Infernape is the standout for me.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Infernape. This thing can work even in Ubers if used well. (Flare Blitz/Mach Punch/Close Combat/Sleep Talk with a Choice Band)

Blaziken is an Uber. Ubers suck.
I like Emboar but it looks a little too fat plus he's not very useful competitively.

Last edited:
Years
This thread is a reminder of how disappointed I was when I first discovered Emboar's typing. Three generations in a row of Fire/Fighting starters? Talk about lack of originality, man. Thankfully, the other two gen five starters weren't as upsetting, haha.

I went with Infernape, because I picked Chimchar in my first run through Diamond and he was an absolute beast throughout the entire game, wrecking everything in his path. Torchic line has always been my least favorite of the three Hoenn starters, so I guess I'm outside the norm. However, I think Infernape is quite underrated - his design is not bad at all, and he was a powerful, useful addition to teams in OU during fourth generation. I like him n__n;

blue

gucci
Years
Blaziken. The Hoenn Starters have always been my top favourites for any of the starters, although Emboar does come a close second! As for Infernape I've never really been a fan tbh.

Years
I'm afraid I'm going to have to be boring and add to the Blaziken votes. He's the only one I've actually used in-game (even though I restarted for Treecko but that's a different story lol) plus, Torchic's design is too adorable :) While I don't mind Infernape or Tepig as individual Pokémon as I actually admire their designs, I think overall Blaziken's line appeals to me more as I've never been overly fond of monkeys or pigs.

Years
Infernape, hands down. I like its design and line the most of the three, plus it can run a number of sets--for example, physical, mixed, anti-lead--thus allowing it to fulfill different roles on teams. It's my fave of the Sinnoh starters as well. The only things I really like about Blaziken are its Hidden Ability/Mega's Ability and the fact that it's my Chinese Zodiac a la Pokemon style. Contrary to Infernape, it's my least favorite of the Hoenn starters. Emboar I only really like as a Tepig; I was really disappointed when it and Pignite were Fire/Fighting yet again ;; Would've been much cooler if it were Fire/Ground like in Blaze Black. Of the Unova starters, it's my second favorite after Serperior.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
This is so difficult (it seems to always be difficult for me in these polls haha) because I love all three final evolutions. Blaziken is just badass, especially in its mega form. Infernape is appealing to me since I like fire and fighting type moves and fast bipedal pokémon. Emboar just has an interesting design, really, the beard has grown on me and I like the patterns and fists.

But I never liked Torchic much and I don't like Pignite at all, while Monferno is amazing and Chimchar is totally okay. So for that reason I'll have to vote for Infernape/Monferno/Chimchar ;)

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I love both Blaziken and Infernape almost equally. Blaziken because it's a badass fire chicken and the first Fire/Fighting type, and Infernape because it's a great mized sweeper with a great design. I don't like Emboar, though. I'm not a big fan of its design, but what really ticks me off is that it's the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row.

Years
Honestly, I like them all, but I went with Blaziken. It was designed well and has a lot of attacks to utilize, and the appearances it's had in the anime were quite good. And it got buffed big time in Gen V.

Emboar i've always liked too, though, its design I found cool and there's just something about it that I like. I've had fun using it in-game, even if its attacks aren't the best.

rom hunter

tongue-tied
Years
Honestly speaking none of them is my real favorite. Emboar has got good hitpoints and I prefer a Wall rather than a Sweeper.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like both Blaziken and Infernape, but I went with Blaziken because Speed Boost gave it a reason to be used again.

Years
I voted Blaziken, because, like a lot of my answers, I'm not exactly as familiar with the other two options. I also really enjoy using Blaziken, and try to incorporate it into my Fire-based team.

Back