• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SytheXP's Sprite Warehouse

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
Edited 4/4/2012: Once again returning to my roots. I have removed older stuff and i am in the process of adding newer artwork. I try to keep my game development and artwork threads separate but you will probably see a good bit of original sprites from my pokemon fan game. As I usually do I will instruct you on which ones you may or may not use if you choose to use any.

Newer Stuff (As of 2011)
Spoiler:

C&C please =]

Last edited:
Years
Well, I like the trainer recolours. The punk rocker is REALLY cool. The revamps are pretty good except for Blastoise and Slowbro. not muych trouble for Blastoise just one of the lines on the stomach shell blends in with the color.
For Slowbro: You can see pink radiating off of it. You may have paint there. You should realllly fix that. Other than that, good!

Camyre

Guess who?
Years
This might seem a little harsh, but those aren't revamps. All you've done is recolored. A revamp needs to have its colors, shading, and outline changed.

Your scratched fakemon and a lot of your trainers have entirely black outlines, which is bad. Look at any official sprite and you'll see that the outline is never completely black. Also, you have practically no shading on anything scratched.

I'd go more in depth with this, but I think that this will be able to help you a lot more.

Last edited:

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
Thanks to both of you, Ive finished the water starter although I wont be posting it up just yet (Didn't save to my flash drive) also I edited the black outlines of the starters the others meh Ill do them to just not atm. Im juggling EoC tests, trying to graduate applying for college and all so I can't put as much into it as I would like but I am working on it as hard as possible. Ive worked on a few more trainers as well (A recolor of a Pkmn Manga Yellow sprite) Im also debating on starting a fangame project but IDK yet. I have to get my RPGXP and VX on this compy which could be a hassle. No real updates as far as sprites. But thanks for the comments, Glad you liked what you liked. Camyre I knew what you said needed to be done I was just being lazy at the time so I will post the new versions of them tomorrow, ill probably shade some more tonight. =]

Thanks again

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
Years
Okay, I would give your trainer sprites, especially the newer ones, 11/10's BUT the outlining and shading is just a bit off, and even a bad on a few... i'll leave the old ones be, since you're not using them, instead, i'll go with the new ones...

dusk.png

These lighter pixels don't look right here, especially if the light is coming from the top left... i'd say darken them...

These should be lighter, since the light is coming from the top left and would be shining directly on them...

Is that differently colored pixel part of the design? does he have a bleached band across that strand hair? If so, i guess i get it, if not... well, it doesn't make sense then...

All the pixels being pointed need to be lightened, and skin toned... use a darker tone of the prexisting skin color to replace these... the skin color is a nice set...

His arm looks very jagged at this point... it needs to be smoothed out a bit, he's got a kink ^_^

Random gray pixel...

More random gray pixel...

(HIS) right leg is skinnier than his left leg... (looking at him, that would be our left leg...) ... it's skinnier by two pixels, and really narrows out at the top. it is very awkward looking... the other leg looks great in contrast...

Overall, this sprite needs work... the anatomy is a bit off in some spots, like the arm and the leg, but also, HIS right arm also seems to be a bit too long... if they were both down at his side, it would be longer...

The outlining is what is really killing this sprite though. You cannot just make it all black, it leaves an awkward contrast to the backgrounds, and detracts from the shading and the look of the sprite... the hair also needs some outlining where it meets the face on the right side there... it's so flat looking right now...

The shading is good, but could be better: i wouldn't change the pants since they look nice with that shading variation, but the shirt is too wavy looking. The face and neck also have good shading... nothing to crit there... the hair though, especially on the left side, it needs to be lighter, since the light is directly hitting it... (the part where all the dark green arrows are pointing...)

Both of his arms seem mishaded as well... HIS left arm seems under shaded, it should be darker towards the right of the frame... and the other arm needs to be darker around the bands, but not all along the outline... it would still be light there since that's where the light is shining... just touch that up probably...

All in all, i give this sprite a 7/10. It is VERY GOOD, but could still use improvement.

I'll leave you with this one for now... and we can go from here...

Take my crit sparingly, don't get discouraged, and most importanly...

Keep Spriting!

OMG, i almost forgot... he has no nose!

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
Okay, I would give your trainer sprites, especially the newer ones, 11/10's BUT the outlining and shading is just a bit off, and even a bad on a few... i'll leave the old ones be, since you're not using them, instead, i'll go with the new ones...

dusk.png

These lighter pixels don't look right here, especially if the light is coming from the top left... i'd say darken them...

These should be lighter, since the light is coming from the top left and would be shining directly on them...

Is that differently colored pixel part of the design? does he have a bleached band across that strand hair? If so, i guess i get it, if not... well, it doesn't make sense then...

All the pixels being pointed need to be lightened, and skin toned... use a darker tone of the prexisting skin color to replace these... the skin color is a nice set...

His arm looks very jagged at this point... it needs to be smoothed out a bit, he's got a kink ^_^

Random gray pixel...

More random gray pixel...

(HIS) right leg is skinnier than his left leg... (looking at him, that would be our left leg...) ... it's skinnier by two pixels, and really narrows out at the top. it is very awkward looking... the other leg looks great in contrast...

Overall, this sprite needs work... the anatomy is a bit off in some spots, like the arm and the leg, but also, HIS right arm also seems to be a bit too long... if they were both down at his side, it would be longer...

The outlining is what is really killing this sprite though. You cannot just make it all black, it leaves an awkward contrast to the backgrounds, and detracts from the shading and the look of the sprite... the hair also needs some outlining where it meets the face on the right side there... it's so flat looking right now...

The shading is good, but could be better: i wouldn't change the pants since they look nice with that shading variation, but the shirt is too wavy looking. The face and neck also have good shading... nothing to crit there... the hair though, especially on the left side, it needs to be lighter, since the light is directly hitting it... (the part where all the dark green arrows are pointing...)

Both of his arms seem mishaded as well... HIS left arm seems under shaded, it should be darker towards the right of the frame... and the other arm needs to be darker around the bands, but not all along the outline... it would still be light there since that's where the light is shining... just touch that up probably...

All in all, i give this sprite a 7/10. It is VERY GOOD, but could still use improvement.

I'll leave you with this one for now... and we can go from here...

Take my crit sparingly, don't get discouraged, and most importanly...

Keep Spriting!

OMG, i almost forgot... he has no nose!

I almost cried, I can't believe I forgot the nose. Most of the stuff you mentioned I noticed last night lol while viewing him in the game. I think Ima change the entire pose though. Thanks for the awesome crit its very helpuful. I like how you take the time to show people where their sprites can be improved upon. And yes a bunch of my other trainers are fairly old. The old rocket looking ones were in GBC colors and I tried my best to revamp them slightly to more GBA/DS colors. I will be adding edited versions of him later. I edited the OW sprites last night and now it looks like he has a mario nose so I have to edit 1 pixel on each of the side view sprites.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
i looked at this.(duh)
You have some very good overworlds.
My personal favorite is on the post with nothing but overworlds with a few battle sprites, it was on the sixth row, kinda looks like paul from new pokemon series. Kinda, but not to much, the ow's look more like paul than the battle sprite.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
I see what you are saying about it looking a little like Paul and I never actually tried a Paul sprite so I might. I need to revamp my Wes sprites into D/P/Pt style and make a Battle sprite for him Ill get around to that eventually. GAH I need to update its just more difficult not using my compy. Moms compy is so slow and has all this protection crap and then her little pogo games and stuff. I have more tiles a few new charasets (Including a D/P/Pt template) Im working on a D/P/Pt outline too so that if you want to shade it differently you wont have to do the extra stuff and white the skin tones out. Recently edited the template to include a kid template as well. (When I get it up it will have Male/Female/Malekid/Femalekid templates in RPGXP and VB/Hack form free for use.

Back