• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: 4th Gen

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Shouldn't 4th generation gaming be moved out of current Gaming?

I mean, it's not current anymore, the games are 5 years maybe even older I forget when.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I believe once 6th gen is out and settled in 4th gen will move out so 5th and 6th will be the only ones in there.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Personally I see it more as the games played on the current console, so in this case Gen IV would still count as Current Gaming, but I may be a minority in this thinking. Maybe I just don't want to see it get cast away haha, but to me Gen IV still feels like it should fall under 'current', at least 'till Gen VI is actually released. :3

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
People play and trade on D/P/P and HG/SS still, right? Compared to 3rd gen, they aren't exactly outdated. I think it can stay until staff thinks the section seems too cluttered ^^ Which might happen if trading or competitive battling in 6th gen will require their own sections in order to separate them notably from the 4th gen threads, perhaps.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Can we not? I don't want 4th gen... :( It would ruin meeeee. Cause you know, that'd where it'd go. To me. And ew.

I think once BW and B2W2 merge to make one gen V section, CPGD won't seem so full. I think 4th gen can stay where they are. I agree with RCHP that gen IV doesn't seem as outdated as I-III since you can still wi-fi trade and battle with them, and even now, I think more people own a DS than a 3DS.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Can we not? I don't want 4th gen... :( It would ruin meeeee. Cause you know, that'd where it'd go. To me. And ew.

I think once BW and B2W2 merge to make one gen V section, CPGD won't seem so full. I think 4th gen can stay where they are. I agree with RCHP that gen IV doesn't seem as outdated as I-III since you can still wi-fi trade and battle with them, and even now, I think more people own a DS than a 3DS.

Us Fourth Generation fanatics aren't ew! Waaah.

On a more serious note, this has been on my mind for a while now. Personally, I still think Fourth Gen warrants its place under Current Generation Gaming. I definitely think it'd be appropriate for BW and B2W2 to be merged into one Gen V section. That'd tidy things up a bit, and keep CGG not as cluttered as it is now. It's really up to the hstaff to decide and make the final decision, but as the section's moderator,I do want to at least have somewhat of a say on its well being/future.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I think it could really go either way. They games were released six years ago internationally - as of April - but are still not 'old,' since the generation was refreshed midway with HeartGold and SoulSilver and are far from being forgotten/unpopularized. Perhaps when Sixth Generation starts to settle in, rather than just as the news is starting to flow in. It'll have to be sooner or later, but why not later?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
But HG/SS came out in 2010. Is 3 years apart means that the game is old? There's still a lot of people who play/trade/battle with Gen IV games, so I don't think Gen IV should be taken out from Current Gaming?

Current Gaming means games that are being currently played right? Gen IV is still in there as one of the games that still highly played.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
In my eyes the deciding factor is that people still use the 4th Gen games a lot for trading and to a lesser extent battling. If they're still being used in this way then I see no reason not to class them as current games, especially if the two Gen V forums are to be merged so the section won't be cluttered. I'd understand if Gen IV was moved as its now two generations old, but I reckon it's more suited to the current gaming section for now.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm fine with this as long as the 4th Generation forums aren't moved into sections grouped under "Older Generations". Personally, I'd make a whole new category, split DPPt from HGSS and move 4th generation trade-related and battle-related, if necessary, forums into that category (or create them if they don't exist now). It'd definitely involve a much larger forum change than just moving one forum because 4th gen is so active that there'd be some nasty logistical complications of moving it alone imo.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'm fine with this as long as the 4th Generation forums aren't moved into sections grouped under "Older Generations". Personally, I'd make a whole new category, split DPPt from HGSS and move 4th generation trade-related and battle-related, if necessary, forums into that category (or create them if they don't exist now). It'd definitely involve a much larger forum change than just moving one forum because 4th gen is so active that there'd be some nasty logistical complications of moving it alone imo.

While that sounds good on paper,when put into practice, I think it will get really messy.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
It'd probably be a tad messy, but beats the alternatives that I see, which are either crowing older generations or giving the main 4th gen games a whole forum of their own. Unless there's some really easy way out which I'm missing!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
DPPt had been merged with HGSS in the first place as DPPt by itself was simply not having enough activity, so I can't say I agree with the idea of splitting it up again. Not worth risking the same problem happening again which got solved.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Could always make DS Generation games and have 4th gen and BW(2) in it. Not right now obviously, but maybe at the dawn of the next generation. I know that's a long way away, but that would be when there would be at least two gens that can stay in CGPD and then perhaps split 4th gen back into DPPt and HGSS and then have BW and B2W2 and those four could make up DS Generation forum.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
If we're going for rearranging forums then the set-up I see working best would be along these lines:

Main-Series Pokémon Games
Sixth Generation Games (3DS)
Fifth Generation Games (DS)
Fourth Generation Games (DS)
Advance Generation Games (GBA)
Metal and Color Generation Games (GB/GBC)

Pokémon Gaming Discussions
Pokémon Gaming Central
Trade Corner
Battle Center
Challenges
Spinoff Games

I reckon that'd leave everything in good order and make everything easy to find, but I'd still much prefer to see the current forum order remain and have Gen IV kept in current gaming for the reasons stated above. But if we are going for rearranging the forums then I definitely don't think it'd be a good idea to split the DS games into DPPt/HGSS/BW/BW2 for exactly the reasons listed by bobandbill. It'd be awkward sorting out moderators in relation to where Syd mods, but that's easily sorted in many ways if it comes to it.

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
With Gen VI on it's way, you think it's better to put the games according to their generation?

Fourth Gen: D/P/Pt & HG/SS
Fifth: BW/BW2
Sixth: XY

Instead of having BW and BW2 have their separate threads? It would be probably more organized too, wouldn't it?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
BW and B2W2 are both really active, I think it's a little too soon to talk about merging them.

Years
If we're going for rearranging forums then the set-up I see working best would be along these lines:

Pokémon Gaming Central
Trade Corner
Battle Center
Challenges
Spinoff Games

I would like to see this rearrangement if it is needed. The only problem would be sorting out the moderators given all the sections Sydian mods.

But yeah I would like to see all the main series get their own board while Spinoffs, Trade Corner, Battle Center, Challenges and Pokemon Gaming Central can all get a corner all to themselves.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

Pokémon Gaming Central
Trade Corner
Battle Center
Challenges
Spinoff Games

...Oh God please no then all my stuff will be spread out like when I started modding. :(

Back