• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I wonder if there's any challenge one could do on a game like Ranger, Snap, or Pokepark. It would
be pretty interesting and challenging, I assume.
@myrrh, Ranger was fun and all, but the final boss was a huge chore.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Myrrh, I'd be crying in horror if I realized that I had the time to do DPPt challenges. I cannot stand Diamond and Pearl...my gosh. Ranger is worse though, yes. Glad I haven't seen any Ranger challenges pop up. ._.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Well, Syd, I guess its a curse that I'm doing all the ultimate Monotypes... Oh well, I should have accounted for them covering DPPt.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Eh, that's true. I tend to pick my favorite recent game when I do challenges (like HGSS), buuuuut since it's ultimate... :x Oh, and have fun implementing Black or White into that. I'd hate to finish an ultimate challenge only to realize "oh crap, a new generation" and go through that as well.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I actually didn't mind the Ranger Games. sure they were fun and all, but I don't know. I remember when I wanted the Manaphy, so I finished the game, got the egg and then my Diamond game corrupted, so I didn't get any Manaphy at all.

Also, it looks like no one really likes my "domino" challenge (I like the name better, so I'm stealing it mmkay). I should update my challenge progress soon, as I've nearly defeated Brawly.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
I would be done with at least 4 more challenges if it weren't for my reluctance to play Pearl. Eh. :/

The Lord of Smug
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
O_o what's wrong with you people? I love Sinnoh. It's very challenging. Unlike HG/SS. I find it laughable that the trainers right before, say, the 7th gym still have lv 20 or so pokemon.

Sinnoh rocks.

Enigma

Years
I didn't say that I dislike Sinnoh. That's definitely not the case. I dislike that D/P/Pt are so slow. :/ I never noticed how slow they were until I played HG and SS.

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
DP are slow. Platinum's speed was increased considerably. This is why I no longer touch my fake Pearl, which I dug up a few days ago, with its save and a ton of Pokemon on it : a) incredible slowness ; b) it's a pirate ; it won't play on a DSi ; c) ??? ; d) I'm afraid it will break and I'll lose all the stuff I trained from April until July 2009 (a small time window, but I basically ignored school and played Pokemon).

Mmyeah... I love Sinnoh as a region, but the games... just wait until Gen VI, when they'll remake Sinnoh... :D

And I play Ranger because I love the region design. And also for the Heatran. I won't bother beating Platinum and trading one over. It took me one week to beat Ranger. It will take me another year to finish my Favorite on Platinum. I seriously need to grind, since I'm in Veilstone and my Pokemon are like... Lv. 27 ? ._.'

Enigma

Years
The time period that it took me to get to Oreburgh is normally the same amount of time that it takes to get through half the game in any other generation. -_- I even cut down my grinding a little, just enough to defeat Roark. (Dragon Rage + Charmeleon ftw)

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I agree Inferno. Not to mention if you're comparing speed of DP to say RBY, with the 4K speed I can run it in, I can almost beat it.

Years
Honestly, Sinnoh is a lot easier than HG/SS.
You can easily get a team of good Pokemon and rarely need any derps, and grinding is quite efficient.
Whereas, in HG/SS you have to spend hours and hours just to get your full team to Lv. 40, ie fodder for Lance's dragons.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I find grinding in HGSS bearable...mainly cause I have a Pokemon following me. Seriously, once you have your Pokemon follow you, it's just hard to live up to that, imo. And it definitely makes it harder to go back to older games...that's just me though. I do hate that HGSS and GSC require beating Red before a challenge is done though. I mean, I understand why, but I just hate the Kanto part of both games. /horrible

The Lord of Smug
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Agreed, HG/SS is basically the scum of challenges. It has nice features, nearly all pokemon available, that pokemon following feature, and the pokewalker, but it is the worst game to play a challenge on.

But what about the best game?
RBY? RSE? FRLG?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
HGSS is not the scum of challenges. >:c -kicks- I am not afraid to abuse powarz! lol <3

I find the worst for challenges to be RBY, since you're limited to just first generation Pokemon. And I can't trade SO...yeah. But for challenges you wanna zip through, it's the best, imo. RSE comes close behind, but I mean, I've played through those games so many times, of course I would say that. GSC and HGSS are the slowest, if the "you must defeat Red" clause in in place. I say DPPt challenges go by slowly too, but that's only because of the speed of the game. BW...I've only beaten White once, so I can't really say. It was pretty linear though. Hm.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I agree that HGSS is the worst to play a challenge on. Having access to all the Pokemon is nice (and I didn't have a problem with his Dragonites) but there is too much grinding to be done for Red. I haven't beaten HGSS yet. My original playthrough, I beat the E4 the second time, but halfway through training for red, I gave up because it was so boring. Now I'm to the Kanto part (I think) of my Water Monotype.

Best game is RB fo sho. Sydian doesn't know what he's talking about at all. I know if I look at the challenge and say "would I rather do a _______ monotype on Blue or Ruby?" it will always be Blue. Sure you don't have access to as many Pokemon, but you don't need access to as many Pokemon. Plus the insane speeds it can run at.

I think my rankings goes: RB (I don't ever include yellow because it is just different, and I think in general challenges are easier on R/B and yellow is never in a different category) -> RSE ->GSC ->gap since the rest are so inferior ->DPPt ->FRLG ->HGSS.

I don't like FRLG at all. IMO they are much harder than RB even with access to more attacks and more Pokemon. Plus you have to do extra storyline, can't run it as fast, etc. If I am ever given "beat a challenge in Kanto" it will always be R/B, not YFRLG, and if I am ever given "beat a challenge in Johto" it will always be GSC, not HGSS. The only reason I am doing a HGSS challenge right now is that I'm not contempt with the Water UMC title, and am beating the rest of the games as well.

Tl;dr Red/Blue are god tier, RSE and GSC are good, the rest are awful.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
I love every region, exept for Hoenn and Sinnoh. HG/SS is much more fun (imo). On HG/SS I can do challenges because I won't get bored, D/P/Pt I lose train of thought. You know how I Nuzlocke games, and be nuzlocking 3 games at a time, yeah I'm still on Platinum, I've been procrasinating it for 2 1/2 months now?

HG/SS I can do a Nuzlocke and add a bunch of rules (Only use 6 Pokemon at a time, after that no captures, Togepi must aways use Metronome when it doesn't have a SE move, ect.)

For me HG/SS > DPPt

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Best game is RB fo sho. Sydian doesn't know what he's talking about at all. I know if I look at the challenge and say "would I rather do a _______ monotype on Blue or Ruby?" it will always be Blue. Sure you don't have access to as many Pokemon, but you don't need access to as many Pokemon. Plus the insane speeds it can run at.

I never said it was the worst to use, and I do know what I'm talking about here. I used to do monotypes on RBY and RSE all the time. But for challenges where more options are needed, I would prefer not to use RBY, that's what I was saying. But I personally like to have the biggest variety of Pokemon available to me, but usually only applying to things like random challenges and the favorite challenge. But those games, for me, are the games I can breeze right through without being too distracted with grinding, since it's pretty simple and I usually capture Pokemon that aren't relatively close to each other.

I don't like FRLG at all. IMO they are much harder than RB even with access to more attacks and more Pokemon. Plus you have to do extra storyline, can't run it as fast, etc. If I am ever given "beat a challenge in Kanto" it will always be R/B, not YFRLG, and if I am ever given "beat a challenge in Johto" it will always be GSC, not HGSS. The only reason I am doing a HGSS challenge right now is that I'm not contempt with the Water UMC title, and am beating the rest of the games as well.

Oh God, don't get me started on FRLG. I couldn't complete a challenge on those games if my cat was dying. Just...horrible. Horrible games with horrible music. I can't even play through those games normally anymore.

My order is something like...

HGSS > RSE > RBY > GSC > DPPt > FRLG

Excluding BW since I've only beaten White once, of course. However, I'm thinking it won't rank too high because...I'm honestly not itching to beat it again. So I think it might fall behind RBY. Also, I've never done a challenge on GSC, so that show shows how bad I dislike DPPt and FRLG for...anything.

Also, I have had this big itch to play Gold or Crystal lately. But idk if I wanna do a challenge (since I tend to get neglectful) or just a normal playthrough. To be honest, I will probably forget about it no matter what I choose to do. @_@

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
You should do it. Do a Psychic Monotype or something (Catch an Abra and teach it all the punches and then you win). It only takes me like an hour and a half.

Speaking of challenges not taking a long time, do you think we could pull off something like:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Speed Challenge
In this challenge, you simply sign up saying what game you want to play, and then someone else signs up with the same game. You then go head to head in a race to see who can complete it fastest. Emulators are necessary, so that you can see how far each other are. In order to make sure there is no cheating going on, we ask that you (this is the only part I'm not sure on. What program should we tell people to have so they can see each others screens. I know skype can do it, but I don't know if you can do both screens at the same time. I've used teamviewer, but that also means they can mess with your computer if they want to. There also might be other programs out there, so what do you guys think).

Once you find someone to race, contact them via PM/VM and ask if they are ready to start. Once both parties are ready to start, go for it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think? If it gets the thumbs up, and gets popular enough, I was thinking we could even do a little tournament to see who the ultimate speed champion is!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back