• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did You Ever Get Emotional in Mystery Dungeon?

droomph

weeb
Years
I haven't finished the most recent game yet so I can't tell which got me more just yet…

but for now, I felt really sad (but I didn't cry because that part hasn't been fully hooked up yet) at the end of PMD2/3 where
Spoiler:
I think it was the Grovyle part. Yeah, the Grovyle part.

I didn't feel anything with the first one because that literally was the first game I had my parents wouldn't let me play games until I was 7 lol and 1) I didn't know about the characters too well, and 2) I was even less emotionally hooked-up back then :p But I'm sure if I was normal that would've gotten me a bit more…or I don't know. It doesn't get me anymore after I've played it three times.

I'm not sure I'm too fond of the last game yet, but objectively, the story seems good, if not for the rushed pace or whatever. But I haven't felt emotional like I did with 2/3 yet. I think it's because I'm kinda tired from school and I've used up all my emotions there, but we'll see.

Oh, though I will admit that
Spoiler:

Cavalreaper

Pokemon Breeder
Years
I really love the Mystery Dungeon series. It always manages to strike a cord with me, and no matter how prepared I am the ending always gets me.

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
What really struck me was when Alakazaam let your team run away from the crazy mob in the first game. It just felt so... good to feel some kindness from someone in that game, after everyone but your partner had suddenly wanted you dead. I just wanted to hug him.

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
I've played Explorers of Sky and I admit, I shed a few manly tears during that last scene with the player disappearing and whatnot. Though, when your partner's on the beach and just starts crying his/her heart out and then the credits rolled, I just let out a great big, "What the flying f-!"

Boy, was I mad for two minutes. Then there was the epilogue and they're all reunited and stuff and everyone's happy. Typical Pokemon ending. Not that it's a bad thing.

I probably should put spoiler tags on this...but I'm exhausted at the moment. I need to go to bed.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I'd say

Spoiler:

made me sad. I really appreciated him as a character and to see him do that was both shocking and a "No, why? Don't go" moment.

There was another scene where I actually cried, but I can't remember which. It might come to me later. It was during Explorers of Time, though.

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
You know... As much as I would like to say no, I would be lying if I did.

The one that did it for me was Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, my first Mystery Dungeon game, and my second Pokemon game ever. I was NOT prepared for that ending. The music also topped it off. It's like the writers wanted players to go into a state of depression or something. Dayum.

For the other two I was sad, but not as much as I was that first time with Explorers of Time.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
OMG YES.

In Explorers of the Sky when my partner sacrificed himself and had to disappear from existence... It was so sad and I wanted to cry really badly.

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Time & Darkness (by extension Sky) were all pretty sad, Grovyle was quite the memorable character and the Future of Darkness episode was extremely well-done. Shows Pokemon can actually do a somewhat deep plot.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
The conclusions of both games made me break down, Explorers of Darkness more so than Blue Rescue Team. While the player character still spoke to me in Blue Rescue Team (and, if I'm not mistaken, was told it could return), Explorers of Darkness made me think that that would be it (and the background music / drawn-out fashion really contributed to my breaking-down). Deep.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
Definitely, I remember in Mystery Dungeon Red I was Meowth & Pikachu was my partner. I felt so sad at the end :( I love the MD series.

Years
I did... ;_; The ending of Gates to Infinity made me cry and it was hard to stop. They really did such a good job with that in GtI and I might just rewatch it to get those feelings again.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 29, 2013
The Igglypuff Episode is such a tearjerker!
I think all the 5 special episodes are impressive.
In the main story, it's the time when Dialga was defeated, and my character began to disappear (though I knew it would revive moments later..)

blue

gucci
Years
Yes, in Mystery Dungeon Sky's ending and the extra Igglybuff Mission with Armaldo was emotional.

It's nice to have something different to the generic Pokemon games and Mystery Dungeon games are the perfect spin offs IMO, I've always enjoyed playing through every version and I'm now really looking forward to Gates Of Infinity.

Back