• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon: Pure Heart!

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
I like the concept of the game, and how it is coming along. i love the diversity you got there. lol

My only thing is "what are you going to do that is different"

i know the story is different, but i mean system/graphical wise?

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
I've had a handful of ideas for fun systems to include in this; some inspired by other pokemon/non pokemon games, but I'm not sure yet what will end up making it in. Like, I haven't even really started working on them, just thinking about implementation. I don't want to worry too much about big new complex systems until I have some solidly playable basic gameplay; I've done that before in projects and ended with a cool system, but no game, or even any energy to work on the game, haha. The pitfalls of being a solo dev, I guess! But yeah, the main two things I'm thinking so far are a pokemon yellow style pokemon follower thing, and a location restriction thing based around outfits (eg, can't go to a snowy area without a warm outfit, or a beach without a swimsuit, or a lair without a henchgirl costume. Outfits would be gained through different methods, there'd be some secret outfits/areas etc. that kind of thing), as well as the obligatory "unique" pokegear device.

Graphics-wise, I'm not really planning on any innovation! Custom tiles seem too hard for me, haha

Atomic Reactor

I think the gym is a little boring looking, and looks too much like Brocks gym.

With that said, the rest of the indoor maps look really well done, idk if that's saying a lot or anything, but I think the indoor maps look great! I can't really tell from the screenshots what the outdoor maps are like, but from what I can tell, they look pretty good. Hope to see some more from this project :)

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Ah, i should've paid more attention to the maps the first time. There seems to be an error on some of the outside maps. The trees next to the grass have the wrong bottom, the bottom you used should be used only when they are next to other trees.

If you ever need any help when it comes down to mapping (or any other general design issues) I'd be happy to assist you.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
Thanks for the feedback, guys! the gym is a total total placeholder until I recolour/edit some gym tiles; the included gym spritesheet is pretty weak imo. I have a zillion tree errors, haha! Thanks for pointing those ones out though, I'll fix them asap

& thanks for the offer! I think I have a handle on mapping, though :)

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
ugh! I decided on a new direction for the second town, mapped for a few hours, decided it had too many ideas in one town so I split it up and shoved some of it into a new third town map.... and now I hate both maps. a lot. soooo I guess I'm starting again on two towns? I need to take a day to clear my head and think about the core design of each town, I think. so I'm going to give myself a little break! don't expect any updates for a few days, guys! at least wrt maps, anyway :)

on the plus side, telling you guys about my outfit/location idea made me get all excited about it, and I started solidly planning it out. not only did I work out how to implement it, but I came up with a couple of outfit ideas that tie into sidequest systems/characters that I felt were being underused. so that part of it is coming together nicely! I started spriting the swimsuit and the coordinator outfits, and threw together a test event to check my implementation. so I haven't totally been wasting my time!

screenshots:
gcSuE9q.png

AuuBKBC.png

Back