• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
Well, gonna get started on something I'm dreading: my fire run in LeafGreen for my ultimate challenge. By the way, if it's not too late (since I haven't started Black at all yet), can I switch my legendary claim to Moltres in this game? I've thought about it, and having a full team of six for the Kanto E4 is more important than having a slightly easier time in two endgame battles.

Spoiler:

Current Team

006MS.png
Travis (m) lv 39
Wing Attack, Smokescreen, Flamethrower, Brick Break

052MS.png
Koki (m) lv 16
Scratch, Growl, Bite, Cut

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Time for the final update on Pearl in my Fighting monotype! I should have the final updates for Red and Sapphire soon.

- Traveled to Lake Valor
- Defeated Saturn
- Traveled to Lake Verity
- Defeated Mars
- Traveled through Mt. Coronet to Snowpoint City
- Defeated Candice
- Traveled to Veilstone City
- Defeated Cyrus
- Defeated Saturn
- Traveled to Spear Pillar
- Defeated Mars and Jupiter
- Defeated Cyrus
- Defeated Palkia
- Traveled to Sunyshore City
- Defeated Volkner
- Traveled through Victory Road
- Arrived at the Pokemon League
- Defeated my rival
- Defeated Aaron
- Defeated Bertha
- Defeated Flint
- Defeated Lucian
- Defeated Cynthia
Fighting UMC Sinnoh: Complete!

Team:
infernape.png
Infernape / lv64 / Flamethrower, Grass Knot, Aerial Ace, Close Combat
machamp.png
Machamp / lv63 / Earthquake, Strength, Rock Slide, Brick Break
medicham.png
Medicham / lv63 / Psychic, ThunderPunch, Ice Punch, Hi Jump Kick
toxicroak.png
Toxicroak / lv62 / X-Scissor, Poison Jab, Shadow Ball, Faint Attack

Type:
fighting.png

Pokemon Red Version
primeape.png
machoke.png
hitmonlee.png
poliwrath.png
(6/8)
✔Pokemon Crystal Version
poliwrath.png
heracross.png
hitmonchans.png

Pokemon Sapphire Version
combusken.png
breloom.png
hariyama.png
(6/8)
✔Pokemon Pearl Version
infernape.png
machamp.png
medicham.png
toxicroak.png

✔Pokemon Black Version
emboar.png
conkeldurr.png
sawk.png
scrafty.png

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
By the way, if it's not too late (since I haven't started Black at all yet), can I switch my legendary claim to Moltres in this game? I've thought about it, and having a full team of six for the Kanto E4 is more important than having a slightly easier time in two endgame battles.
No problem! Go right a head.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
As promised, here is the final update for Red in my Fighting UMC!

- Traveled to Cinnabar Island
- Got the Secret Key in the Pokemon Mansion
- Defeated Blaine
- Flew to Viridian City
- Defeated Giovanni
- Defeated my rival
- Traveled through the Badge Checkpoint
- Arrived at Indigo Plateau
- Defeated Lorelei
- Defeated Bruno
- Defeated Agatha
- Defeated Lance
- Defeated the Champion, my rival
Fighting UMC Kanto: Complete!

Team:
primeape.png
Primeape / lv52 / Thunderbolt, Seismic Toss, Thrash, Dig
machoke.png
Machoke / lv52 / Fire Blast, Low Kick, Earthquake, Rock Slide
hitmonlee.png
Hitmonlee / lv51 / Double Kick, Hi Jump Kick, Rolling Kick, Jump Kick
poliwrath.png
Poliwrath / lv53 / Surf, Ice Beam, Psychic, Strength

Type:
fighting.png

✔Pokemon Red Version
primeape.png
machoke.png
hitmonlee.png
poliwrath.png

✔Pokemon Crystal Version
poliwrath.png
heracross.png
hitmonchans.png

Pokemon Sapphire Version
combusken.png
breloom.png
hariyama.png
(6/8)
✔Pokemon Pearl Version
infernape.png
machamp.png
medicham.png
toxicroak.png

✔Pokemon Black Version
emboar.png
conkeldurr.png
sawk.png
scrafty.png

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Well, I got the Bolt Badge from Elesa. I will say it was the easiest gym leader thus far and I'm a little disappointed in Blaze Black, as long as I seek out every trainer in between gyms I'll basically already be powerful enough to beat the gym leader (granted I use the right strategy) the fight was basically venusaur would use sleep powder and I'd switch to Gengar and he would eat their dream until they died from it. (I won't probably keep dream eater despite recently getting it.) after venusaur was taken down by flamethrower I used my newly acquired Drapion (Skorupi evolved after I farmed a bit)
My team is complete: lvl40 Drapion, lvl40 venomoth, lvl40 Tentacruel, lvl40 Crobat, lvl40 Venusaur, and lvl42 Gengar who is very powerful as I always expect from my personal favorite ghost.
4 down 4 to go and a super powered up elite 4

Sent from my Xperia Z

Last edited:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Gonna update the challange now!

Well stupid Aqua (rival) ambushed me at the basement of the goldenrod tunnel, but i defeated him, although most of my team fainted. Nevermind. I went back to heal my poks and then came back to the tunnel. Rescued the director\president of the radio thingy and wewnt to beat the rocket grunt from the other side of the tower at 3F.

Years
My very 1st challenge, lets begin.

• Decided to choose Squirtle as my starter, I don't know why.
  • Got Oak's Parcel at the mart in Viridian City.
  • Took the Parcel back to Oak, In exchange for a pokedex and poke balls.
  • Town map from Daisy and caught pidgey on route 1.
  • Released Squirtle (Bye Bye) and gained a few levels for Pidgey.
  • Went through Viridian Forest which was a piece of cake thanks to Pidgey.
  • Arrived at Pewter City and decided to get a Rattata to help with Brock.
  • Did some grinding which was boring, then JUST beat Brock's Gym.
  • Headed east and destroyed all the trainers with Pidgey.
  • Thought about catching JigglyPuff but decided not too.
  • Travelled through Mt. Moon, I didn't have any problem with the trainers and the rocket grunts were fairly easy.
  • Finally Pidgey evolved into Pidgeotto and a few battles later Rattata evolves into Raticate.
The Team

pidgeotto.gif

Pidgeotto, - L18
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Tackle, Sand-Attack, Gust, Quick Attack

raticate.gif

Raticate, ♂ - L20
Ability: Run Away
Moves: Tackle, Thief, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang

Last edited:

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
Years
Haha, I think this was the worst part of my challenge. Let me explain you what. I was training my Chansey (I taught her Ice Beam) then, she evolved into ... oh wait, she can't because I don't have the National Dex. I trade her to a save where I have the National Dex, but because of the happiness reset, I spent the whole day to bring her back to the level of happiness she was, then evolve her with a Rare Candy from my challenge save. Well, it was long, but now I'm ready to finish this game :3

I also defeated Koga (the screenshot here : puu(dot)sh/5V2LQ)

My team :
Spoiler:

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
Years
I think I am going to take my single grass run that I did forever ago and turn into an Ultimate Challenge
Username: Ramsie
Type: Grass
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): LG, Crystal, Sapphire, Pearl, Black

Starting Crystal soon. This'll be fun.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Haha, I think this was the worst part of my challenge. Let me explain you what. I was training my Chansey (I taught her Ice Beam) then, she evolved into ... oh wait, she can't because I don't have the National Dex. I trade her to a save where I have the National Dex, but because of the happiness reset, I spent the whole day to bring her back to the level of happiness she was, then evolve her with a Rare Candy from my challenge save. Well, it was long, but now I'm ready to finish this game :3

I also defeated Koga (the screenshot here : puu(dot)sh/5V2LQ)

My team :
Spoiler:
Blissey is not legal as it is not in your Pokedex. If the game prevents you from obtaining it you can't get it. Trading is only for trade evolution and obtaining version exclusives. Sorry but you can't use that Blissey. Sorry to make it an even worse part of the challenge.

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
So, I'm finally back from the dead, I'm sure you all missed me ;)

Anyway, I'll be starting the Emerald portion of my Ultimate Psychic Mono Challenge again, and I'll be taking advantage of the Anniversary Code:

" I need an extra boost! "

I'll be hacking in a Lv.2 Beldum at the start of Emerald, finally, a way to use a Metagross before the Elite Four! :D

I guess I'll update after a few Gym's.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
Ultimate Randomized Monotype Challenge Fire (SoulSilver)

FINAL UPDATE:

Spoiler:

--> Johto: COMPLETE!

My team after beating Red:

Spoiler:

Wow, that was a long journey...time to continue my Black 2-Monotype! Oh, and of course Pokemon X, I'm still not finished with this game xD

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Change of plans, I'm putting my Psychic Challenge on hold for now, if it's all right I'd like to use the anniversary code for another game.

Instead I'll be starting an Ultimate Ground-Mono Challenge starting with Yellow, though I won't be using either code for this game.

Blaki'

Years
That's not a problem. Can I apply the bonus from "I need an extra boost !" on this pokémon ?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
The Ultimate
Monotype Challenge

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Welcome! I'm sure that just by looking at the name of the challenge, you probably have a good idea of what this challenge is. After all, this isn't a new concept. People have been doing play throughs using only one type of Pokemon for years, even before the inception of the term Challenge in the culture of Pokemon fandom. This is the original challenge, a concept instilled in our minds by the in game Gym Leaders who all seem to be Monotype Trainers of their own world. I take no credit for this concept. I don't think any one person possibly could. What I hope to do is give an environment for which to regulate the ideals of this challenge, and give people recognition for completing a journey with unique challenges.

Generation VI of Pokemon is now upon us, and with it carries a new generation for the Challenge world. A perfect time for a fresh start. This thread represents my full adoption of the Monotype Challenge. Before, I was merely keeping an old thread with many posts alive. As such I had very little flexibility for altering the rules without intruding on the fact that other people had already completed the challenge a different way. But now, I am presenting the challenge in a thread all my own, and can present it to you the way I believe it should be. My hope is to bring you the best experience possible. I think that's enough introductions, let's get this show on the road!

Rules
1. Your team must consist of at least 2 Elite Four viable Pokemon who share the type you specified in your sign up. No Pokemon may be used in Trainer Battles outside of that specified type. Monotypes may not be stacked into a single run.
2. A Pokemon of your type must be obtained before you earn your third badge. If this is impossible in your game, you may hack or trade a single Pokemon of your type within your region's Pokedex. See below for a list of qualifying challenges.
3. Until you obtain the first Pokemon of your type, you may only use your starter.
4. Pokemon outside your type may be used as long as they evolve in to your type by the end of the challenge.
5. The Pokemon on this list are banned from use in the challenge: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Maison#Banned_Pok.C3.A9mon
6. Trading is permitted for evolution and obtaining version exclusive Pokemon in your region's Pokedex, whom you could not obtain otherwise, as long as it's level does not exceed that of the highest level Pokemon on your team at the time of trading, and has no egg moves and is not RNGed (Though eggs are the preferred method).
7. HM Slaves are permitted. They do not need to match your type.
8. Hacked ROMs are permitted. Total hacks are only viable for single challenges. Hacks featuring an official region may be used for Ultimate Challenges.
9. Pokewalker and Dream Radar may be used to obtain Pokemon of your type for the challenge, as long as they are imported into the game your playing and not traded in.
10. Both Dark Type and Steel Type are exempt from needing Kanto for Ultimate Challenges, since the type was introduced in Gen 2, with only Magnemite being available in FireRed and LeafGreen with one of these types. Fairy Type cannot be used for Ultimate Challenges.
11. In Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, Pokemon Amie and Exp Share are banned from use. The only exception to this rule is for evolving Eevee into Sylveon.
12. An Ultimate Challenge is accomplished by reaching the End Game of one game from each official region using the same type. They do not need to be completed in chronological order.

End Game:
Kanto - Blue (Rival)
Johto - Red
Hoenn - Steven (Ruby/Sapphire), Wallace (Emerald)
Sinnoh - Cynthia
Unova - Ghetsis (Black/White), Iris (Black 2/White 2)
Kalos - AZ
Hacks - Determined by player (Generally the Champion of the hack)

The following version-type combinations are permitted the one hack mentioned in Rule #2:
-Ice Type in Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, Black, and White Versions
-Fighting Type in Blue Version
-Dark Type in Gold, Silver, Crystal, and Pearl Versions
-Ghost Type in Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed, LeafGreen, Black, and White Versions
-Dragon Type in Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed, LeafGreen, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, Black, and White Versions

The following version-type combinations are permitted the one hack if you have no access to the Pokewalker or Dream Radar:
-Ice Type in HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black 2, and White 2 Versions
-Dark Type in HeartGold, and SoulSilver Versions
-Ghost Type in Black 2 and White 2 Versions
-Dragon Type in Black 2 and White 2 Versions

If you wish to sign up for the challenge, please ensure you read the rules entirely first, and then include the following form in a post:

Forum Username: (If you put something other than your Username, I will not add you to the list)
Pokemon Type:
Challenge Type: (Single or Ultimate)
Game(s):
Previous Progress: (Yes/No, I will locate your progress in the old thread if you say yes)

Example Sign Up
Forum Username: [Supporter]Necrum Warrior[/Supporter]
Pokemon Type: Bug
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game(s): LeafGreen, SoulSilver, Ruby, Platinum, White 2, Y
Previous Progress: (Yes/No, I will locate your progress in the old thread if you say yes)

Single Challenges
Challengers:

Champions:

Ultimate Challenges
Challengers:
[Supporter]Necrum Warrior[/Supporter]:
picture.php
LeafGreen, Silberne 4/8
picture.php
Blue, Silver 5/16
picture.php
Black 5/8
picture.php
White2 4/8
picture.php
White 4/8

Champions:

Last edited:

Blaki'

Years
Ok, so I definitely use this bonus now, otherwise it would have been frustrating to waste a whole day :<

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Now for the final update for Sapphire on my Fighting UMC! I didn't intend on adding Medicham to my team, but I ran into one in Victory Road that wouldn't let me run away, so I just caught it. But I sure am glad I did add it at the last minute to my team. With Shadow Ball and Ice Punch, it proved extremely helpful against Phoebe and Drake! I had a lot of trouble with Drake's Salamence though, but besides that the Elite Four and Champion were smooth sailing!

- Combusken evolved into Blaziken
- Traveled to Lilycove City
- Defeated May
- Went to Mt. Pyre
- Got the Blue Orb
- Traveled back to Slateport City
- Witnessed Team Aqua stealing the submarine
- Flew back to Lilycove City
- Got the Master Ball
- Defeated Team Aqua
- Traveled to Mossdeep City
- Defeated Tate and Liza
- Traveled to the Seafloor Cavern
- Defeated Team Aqua
- Traveled to Sootopolis City
- Entered the Cave of Origin
- Defeated Kyogre
- Defeated Wallace
- Traveled to Ever Grande City
- Caught Medicham
- Defeated Wally
- Arrived at the Pokemon League
- Defeated Sidney
- Defeated Phoebe
- Defeated Glacia
- Defeated Drake
- Defeated Steven
Fighting UMC Hoenn: Complete!

Team:
blaziken.png
Blaziken / lv52 / Blaze Kick, Double Kick, Aerial Ace, Earthquake
breloom.png
Breloom / lv52 / Sky Uppercut, Return, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb
hariyama.png
Hariyama / lv51 / Brick Break, Stremgth, Surf, Dig
medicham.png
Medicham / lv53 / Hi Jump Kick, Psychic, Ice Punch, Shadow Ball

Type:
fighting.png

✔Pokemon Red Version
primeape.png
machoke.png
hitmonlee.png
poliwrath.png

✔Pokemon Crystal Version
poliwrath.png
heracross.png
hitmonchans.png

✔Pokemon Sapphire Version
blaziken.png
breloom.png
hariyama.png
medicham.png

✔Pokemon Pearl Version
infernape.png
machamp.png
medicham.png
toxicroak.png

✔Pokemon Black Version
emboar.png
conkeldurr.png
sawk.png
scrafty.png

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update for Final Ultimate Monotype Challenge - Water!

Update #6 on Black 2.

• It's been a couple months, but I've got a short update on my progress in the postgame section here.
  • Starting from my house, I got the National Pokedex, then received the Water-type Champ Medal from the Medal Master.

ultwatermedal.png

• Then I defeated Alder in his home outside Floccesy Ranch.

ultwateralder.png

• Made my way down to Nacrene City, then went to the Hidden Grotto outside Pinwheel Forest.
  • Many many respawns later, I got a Poliwhirl to appear!

ultwatergrottopoliwhirl.png

• Caught it and named him Kermit, and boxed Piranha, my Basculin.

ultwaterpoliwhirl.png

• After a couples battles, a King's Rock evolved him into Politoed, with the Hidden Ability Drizzle!

ultwaterpolitoed.png

• I am now training my team around the rest of Unova in preparation for Round 2 of the Elite Four.

Team Devin:
134.gif

Aquaman the Bold Vaporeon, ♂ - L65 @ Lucky Egg
Ability: Water Absorb
Moves: Scald, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Quick Attack
Elite Four 1 co-MVP
565.gif

Archelon the Careful Carracosta, ♂ - L65 @ Hard Stone
Ability: Solid Rock
Moves: Aqua Tail, Aqua Jet, Rock Slide, Strength
581.gif

Coby the Modest Swanna, ♂ - L65 @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Big Pecks
Moves: Hurricane, Fly, Surf, Ice Beam
121.gif

Ruby the Modest Starmie, ♀ - L66 @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
Moves: Surf, Ice Beam, Psychic, Flash
Elite Four 1 co-MVP, Iris 1 MVP
503_2.gif

Torrent the Hasty Samurott, ♂ - L66 @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
Moves: Waterfall, Superpower, Megahorn, Cut
Unova Gyms MVP
186.gif

Kermit the Calm Politoed, ♂ - L66 @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Moves: Surf, Rock Smash, Mud Bomb, Hydro Pump

Boxed:
550.gif

Piranha the Docile Red-Striped Basculin, ♂ - L60
Ability: Adaptibility
Moves: Waterfall, Superpower, Thrash, Bounce
Elite Four 1 co-MVP

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
...and here's the final update for Blue in my Flying UMC! I may try to go ahead and take out Yellow in my Electric challenge while I'm on a roll.

- Traveled to Cinnabar Island
- Got the Secret Key in the Pokemon Mansion
- Defeated Blaine
- Flew to Viridian City
- Defeated Giovanni
- Defeated my rival
- Traveled through the Badge Checkpoint
- Arrived at Indigo Plateau
- Defeated Lorelei
- Defeated Bruno
- Defeated Agatha