• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: DS Map Graphics Editor

Do you want Platinum, HG/SS and BW first Map for the first release?

• Yes

Votes: 396 90.8%
  • No, later

Votes: 40 9.2%

• Total voters

droomph

weeb
Years
So, because there is no script editor, a map editor should not be made either. There really is not logic in that. Anyway, BW first sounds good to me, and apparently 260+ other people? There's no reason to wait to do BW mapper after. If you plan on BW mapper at all, you're going to have to figure everything out in the end anyway, so no use doing DP first as if it's required.
Okay lookie here.

He is making one for BOTH 4th and 5th gen.

They have the same mapping system.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
They have the same mapping system.

Kinda, but not quite the same. There's more overlays implemented in the mapping system structure and some of them changed, so it's more of an upgrade of the generation 4 mapping system, like how the camera moves when you enter a house for instance and whenever you enter though a warp in a different direction to where you'd normally enter a warp, it doesn't activate unless it's entered in the assigned direction you'd enter the warp in.

So to the mapping system of generation 5 will need more research in it's overlays and functionality.

droomph

weeb
Years
Kinda, but not quite the same. There's more overlays implemented in the mapping system structure and some of them changed, so it's more of an upgrade of the generation 4 mapping system, like how the camera moves when you enter a house for instance and whenever you enter though a warp in a different direction to where you'd normally enter a warp, it doesn't activate unless it's entered in the assigned direction you'd enter the warp in.

So to the mapping system of generation 5 will need more research in it's overlays and functionality.
Well yeah, obviously. But we don't know how to fully map in Gen IV, so why bother inventing the car when you don't even have the wheel, you know?

Besides, thine Toolmasters will know so much about geometry commands afterwards anyways and it's just going to take some days of compiling and decompiling to figure it out.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
So taking the story of Unova and putting it into a custom region would totally make sense.

Anyways, Link, if you need to have the English translation fixed, PM me the stuff you have for the English translations and I'll polish it for you when I have time. I noticed the English translations weren't 100% accurate.

Edit: When it comes down to it, it's like which came first: the chicken or the egg. We can edit maps and keep the Unova storyline, or we can make custom games that take place in the Unova region. Take a pick.
It doesn't MATTER. As long as a mapper exists, maps are editable without hex editing it like an insane monkey. Scripts can always be sorted out later. Research can be done and a mapper made on gen 5, script compiler or no script compiler. I'm pointing out that there is no arbitrary reason that gen 4 should be done first - especially since gen 5 has a better engine.

droomph

weeb
Years
It doesn't MATTER. As long as a mapper exists, maps are editable without hex editing it like an insane monkey. Scripts can always be sorted out later. Research can be done and a mapper made on gen 5, script compiler or no script compiler. I'm pointing out that there is no arbitrary reason that gen 4 should be done first - especially since gen 5 has a better engine.
We are getting there, good sir. Gen 4 is first priority only because Gen 5 is based on Gen 4, thus we're already trying to do Gen 5 but we don't have any skills. There is already a viewer for Gen 5 so we're not trying to exclude Gen 5 from the picture here. We're merely trying to understand the hard concepts of Geometry commands (do YOU know what 00 00 00 40 01 00 00 00 means? Me neither.) and stuff, so rest your butt and we'll get to Gen 5 in no time.

In fact, we all want Gen 5. I want Gen 5, in fact. If I had a freaking choice, Gen 4 is waaaaaay over, and I would just focus on Gen 5.

I see what you're saying, but take a look. What happened before Gen 3 was hacked so extensively? Gen 2. And before that, Gen 1. You couldn't just go to a forum in 2004 and demand that a mapping tool be made right then, on the spot. Now look, seven years later. What do you get? A nice and polished Advanced-Map, not some crappy tool someone threw together in two weeks that doesn't even work.

That being said, hacking it is even EASIER because you don't have to deal with offsets, and the sections are even marked out for you in the very beginning, in a fashionable order. However, there is one part (the BMD files) we need to figure out before we jump to developing tools for Gen 5 and leave Gen 4 behind in the dust.

Also, you should try hex editing. Oh, the things you learn.

And as for a scripting tool, there is PPRE, so now there is a reason to work on mapping.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2012
hello, i'm new here
i recently started a pokemon yellow remake for pokemon heartgold and i would like to know if this is usable to edit some maps on HG like cinnabar island and MT moon, thanks.

droomph

weeb
Years
hello, i'm new here
i recently started a pokemon yellow remake for pokemon heartgold and i would like to know if this is usable to edit some maps on HG like cinnabar island and MT moon, thanks.
Hello!

This tool is far from done, but when it is, it will be able to.

So far, you can change the texture (material) of the general shapes (polygons), movement permissions, and changing houses, doors, and such.

(And uh, not judging, why would you make a Yellow remake?)

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
Hello!

This tool is far from done, but when it is, it will be able to.

So far, you can change the texture (material) of the general shapes (polygons), movement permissions, and changing houses, doors, and such.

(And uh, not judging, why would you make a Yellow remake?)
Pokemon can follow you in HGSS. Makes it better.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
Also, you should try hex editing. Oh, the things you learn.

I can't stop loling at the difference between unfathomably stupid and something that is fathom stupid. Oh the stupidity.

NintendoBoy: "You should make the editor for the best engine."

droomph: "You should try hex editing."

Implying that its something you actually have to learn.

Anyway, I don't understand what is so difficult about changing targets to make the editor for the best engine that's out there. There's no reason to have to wait to do it.

Last edited:

looper

German Hacker
Years
Whatever^^

Well, I wasn't around a long time, are there any files that need to be translated into german?

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
pokehacking great on ds now, the new era awaits us hope soon allow us to change the graphics to our own 3D models would be very interesting and would allow develop myself more as a tiler

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I've noticed how Pokémon Black/White use triangular polygons on the map layout. I've done some zero-ing out many hex values in 0x2A30 - 0x3326, which made some polygons disappear. It's quite interesting how it works on generation 5, it just makes me want to experiment with Nuvema Town even more. ^^

maphackexperiment2.png

We're getting even closer to seeing a fully functional map editor by a skilled developer, I still need to learn about programming, as you can see... I'm pretty clueless on developing and knowing which hex values to be editing. xD

Back