• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
On the subject of Humans vs Pokemon the only way for humans to stand a chance would be technology... Take away technology and humans will get rofl stomped.

The revolution idea I think is interesting but how would humanity survive?

Electricity ≠ Technology

I am not taking away technology, only electricity (and Poké Balls, I'm not sure if they actually use electricity, but they seem like they do).

And you're right, humanity will not hold the upper hand against Pokémon, they will almost always get roflstomped when trying to fight a Pokémon one-on-one (even with weapons), and they'll be reduced to finding shelter in small, fortified villages while the braver ones go get killed in the name of ridding the world of Pokémon for safety's sake.

However, Pokémon will be severely nerfed by their lost link to humans. No longer able to be trained, Pokémon will only fully evolve on very special cases, so it's not like you'll be stepping out of a village to find a freaking Charizard waiting to eat you.

Also, numbers. There may be more Pokémon nowadays than humans, but the fact remains that humans are able to unite for a common goal in far greater numbers than wild Pokémon. Thus, the armies marching to your village's doorstep asking for rations and volunteers since they're out trying to "help" your sorry ass.

Also, guns and harpoons and bows and crossbows and ****. If you're really ballsy, go for a naginata too (actually, no, don't do it, you'll get roflstomped in close-quarters by anything that isn't Psychic… probably)

EDIT:
So nobody's interested in my Kid Icarus RP? I need supporters to encourage me to make it. Otherwise, no RP. Besides, I'm really excited about it. Kid Icarus is my favorite.

Dude, if you want to make a Kid Icarus RP, go for it. Personally, I don't even know what that is, but if you're really into it, then why not?

Most people here are interested in Pokémon-related RPs, but ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE is interested in a GOOD RP with an interested and pumped-up GM, so if you like your idea, just do it.

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Okay, this is far from finished, but I want to give you guys a brief overview of what.. I've come up with for the SAO RP:

Spoiler:

Um, I'm not 100% sure if I should stick with the statistics here, buuut, they seem to fit with this style of the RP, so, I'm trying to go for a casual, as well as somewhat statistical RP here.

Well, any tips / advice will be appreciated before it's finished~!

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Stingray: Pretty sure even Lex Luther was a tad bit of a joke against Superman without his kryptonite. (And I know some Pokemon that would definitely beat Superman in a one-on-one. Gardevoir comes to mind.) Also, the notion that Pokemon are oppressed or are otherwise forced to do what they do was addressed back in Pokemon Platinum in a 'secret' event that could only be triggered by owning an Arceus.

Realism is interpreting what the games give you in a way closer to real life. Breaking canon is not on the other hand realism.

@Drunk: Hmm... I am somewhat pleased with the concept you've presented. You could've done a lot worse, I'll give you that. there are two things about the explanation that eat at me though.

However, Pokémon will be severely nerfed by their lost link to humans. No longer able to be trained, Pokémon will only fully evolve on very special cases, so it's not like you'll be stepping out of a village to find a freaking Charizard waiting to eat you.

Also, guns and harpoons and bows and crossbows and ****.

More specifically... wouldn't "wild" pokemon not be benefiting from training/the bond to begin with?

Also, guns and arrows? Those would be completely and utterly useless on even the weakest normal pokemon. I have a hard time imagining a pokemon becoming weak enough that guns and arrows would ever be an effective way of fighting them. I mean we've got /real/ animals like bears where guns just... aren't good enough half the time already.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
@Doronjo - So far it seems well thought out, organized, and attractive; I'm a fan of the presentation, and the ideas behind it seem solid. It's nice to see such an open-ended take on such an open-ended idea.

@Yellow - Guns and arrows are quite effective on many animals, that's why they are often the weapons of choice in hunting, and those are some of the weaker, less lethal guns (guns used for actual combat are far more effective). Most pokemon would be killed by a few bullets, the speed and velocity of bullets and arrows is much faster than most regular pokemon attacks, and they'd be far more lethal. In fact, the easiest way to go about this is to compare the speed, velocity, size, and shape of pokemon attacks that have the same piercing and penetrating properties to those of a bullet. I'd say a bullet would be probably faster than that of an Extreme Speed attack, and given that they are shaped for penetration and that they're so small, they are probably far more effective, as well. Similarly, Arrows would go at least as fast as a Quick Attack, and despite the fact that they aren't usually made of alloys or some of the stronger metals that make up bullets, coupled with the fact that they use wood for support, they still have incredible piercing and penetrating power, and unless the one being shot at had Rock, Ice, or metal armor, it'd probably go through (it still might due some damage to a metal pokemon, depending on the pokemon in question). Not too mention that many pokemon don't have skin, coats, and muscles as strong as bears, but a buckshot would still be able to put a bear down with little effort. Even in the case of those with thick armor, skin, or coats, being shot in the temples or the eyes would probably still be a death sentence; the pokemon often do have weak/exposed points other than the aforementioned.

Last edited:

Claire*

Here's to the crazy ones.
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
@Doronjo - So far it's looking great. I'm just now getting into SAO myself, so it looks very intriguing and the initial stages well thought out.

Stingray

Space elves FTW
Years
The subject of Pokemon training... personally I have not seen that special story, but Black and White seems to skirt around it some. Either way I feel like you need to hit the "I Believe" button and not think about it too hard to make Pokemon training seem not so bad. I mean for me its hard not to question forcing a little animal (in some cases these animals seem to demonstrate intelligence closer to a human) in a ball (tearing it away from its family, its home, and everything it knows and is familiar with), and only releasing it so to make it fight (where it will potentially get electrocuted, burned, stabbed, poisoned, strangled, smashed, punched, kicked, frozen, buried alive, and so on) as a little questionable morality wise.

On the subject of weapons...I could many Pokemon would be quite killable using guns, problem is I can see many of the steel/rock type needing a lot of bullets to take down and I can imagine some steel type having armor close to that of a tank.

Then there is the aspect that Pokemon seem to be able to take a lightning bolt to the face, or a giant whale jump on them and they MIGHT faint at worse. So I would say they are a bit tougher than your average animal.

Yes a .22 or 9mm will not do much but annoy a bear (unless you hit it in the right spot), and I'm pretty sure buckshot will not do much to a bear unless it hits vitals. However if you bring something with some real punch like 50 caliber weapons, or an automatic shotgun with explosive slugs... Some Pokemon will get killed by something that powerful.

@Miss Doronjo I have never seen or heard of SAO, but I find it VERY interesting... one question though is there magic in SAO?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Okay, this is far from finished, but I want to give you guys a brief overview of what.. I've come up with for the SAO RP:

Spoiler:

Um, I'm not 100% sure if I should stick with the statistics here, buuut, they seem to fit with this style of the RP, so, I'm trying to go for a casual, as well as somewhat statistical RP here.

Well, any tips / advice will be appreciated before it's finished~!

It's like... like HOMESTUCK yet NOTHOMESTUCK. Which means I'd join if I could find the time. Which I don't have right now since I'm finding it difficult to post in as little as two RPs. Which means: please don't post this RP for a while yet 8D durr dur

RPG RPs (lol) can be more fun than people believe, I believe (lol).

Ok this post pretty much turned out weird. But what I mean is: it looks really good.

Dawn

Years
@Yellow - Guns and arrows are quite effective on many animals, that's why they are often the weapons of choice in hunting, and those are some of the weaker, less lethal guns (guns used for actual combat are far more effective). Most pokemon would be killed by a few bullets, the speed and velocity of bullets and arrows is much faster than most regular pokemon attacks, and they'd be far more lethal.

...We tend to use expanding bullets when hunting, a type of bullet internationally outlawed from use in actual warfare (as a war crime) by the Hague Conventions for being /too lethal/. I would not presume that military grade hardware is going to be a direct upgrade from hunting hardware or even an upgrade at all. It's, for the better when you get down to explaining why, not that simple.

But yeah, this is basically the reason I don't touch most Pokemon vs Humans RPs. I expect something a little more impressive than "Y'know those creatures that can take being struck with a several hundred pound pokemon breaking the sound barrier with relative grace? Okay let's just IGNORE that and make little bullets traveling at roughly the same speed a serious threat."

I do not get a realistic vibe from that. In fact it makes me feel like the main character of a 90s shooter. I would literally feel obligated to start spouting one-liners and/or in-jokes and referring to pokemon as demons. (...)

I sure hate to use my own concepts as an example, but a handy dandy virus or some other sort of scientific babble biological warfare could serve to severely weaken a Pokemon's defense in a more believable fashion. It could also hamper their ability to grow/evolve. (...And then suddenly, Zombie Pokemon.)

@Stingray: The short explanation is that the Pokemon you catch in the games are actually a part of you.

Now the short explanation is earnestly kind of lame, so let me offer you a bit more of an in-depth one. In the beginning, Pokemon and Humans ate at the same table. You know that book right? It's in DPPt. In Platinum, that book's meaning is explained as Pokemon and Humans having once been the same entity. The same person. They ate the same table because they were not separate beings yet.

Later down the road Pokemon and human split from each other, which lead to what you see in the games today.

The implications of this are that a trainer and their Pokemon are like fragments of a whole being. They complete each other. This is also the explanation for the magical bond a trainer and their Pokemon share.

It also explains why the book about eating at the same table was originally mistranslated as Pokemon and Humans marrying. (Because the second definition of marriage is a fancy word for two things being joined together, which makes a lot of sense in this context.)

The story is told by a very cool hiker (...) in Platinum that appears, collects, and studies the arceus plates if you own an arceus. You can read the entire script of what he has to say here (link)

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I didn't say that you should use guns, but even using the pokemon-canon logic (anime or otherwise, though it makes the most sense using game or Adventures canon) guns would be effective against pokemon in a lethal manner, hunting or otherwise (there are plenty of exceptions, though, much like in real life).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
I can't get past the notion that Yellow thinks a Gardevoir could beat Superman. If you're referring to Magical Leaf then it would probably harm him, but he's overcome his weakness before.

Sorry. Big comic book guy over here. *skulks off*

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
I can't get past the notion that Yellow thinks a Gardevoir could beat Superman. If you're referring to Magical Leaf then it would probably harm him, but he's overcome his weakness before.

Sorry. Big comic book guy over here. *skulks off*

Gardevoir has the capability to create a black hole. I believe this is what Yellow referred to when making the claim, and with that knowledge, I have to agree with her. I don't think even Superman could beat a black hole.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Gardevoir has the capability to create a black hole. I believe this is what Yellow referred to when making the claim, and with that knowledge, I have to agree with her. I don't think even Superman could beat a black hole.
A black hole would probably consume the planet, and possibly the Gardevoir as well (as it would continue to expand, unless contained, until the Earth, and possibly surrounding planets or maybe even the entire solar system, were engulfed). All Superman would have to do is escape the singularity's grasp, which is very possible (especially since the black hole would exist on a planet where there is gravity and objects can easily move at high velocity, and regardless of that, Superman is incredibly fast), especially considering that he can breathe in space. However, even if he were to be sucked in, he wouldn't be defeated, he'd probably just end up in another time or dimension (seeing as he can't die by non-krypton-related methods, compression would mean little to him in terms of being sucked in).

Dawn

Years
@Lincoln: Well, because I have a feeling you want to hear why I think Gardevoir would totally whoop Superman in a fight...

Telekinesis. Right off the bat you've got a move that will effectively allow Gardevoir to use her powerful psychic energy to grapple with Superman in a manner that heavily cripples his movement without being close enough for him to LOLfacepunch. Given Gardevoir is presumably quite fast herself (Her. 'Cuz I'm writing this nerd rant and I feel like it.) it would be ridiculously hard to catch and deliver a solid blow to her. Without telekinesis, Gardevoir would probably be at a disadvantage due to Superman's considerable bulk.

From there she can simply stay at a distance and take all of Superman's ranged attacks like a man hero, utilizing pain split whenever necessary, and building both power and resistance to superman's ranged attacks. After she has fully powered up, she can then utterly devistate Superman with a stored power so hilariously powerful it could probably garaunteed one-hit KO any no-dark pokemon. She can also repeat this as many times as necessary in rapid succession at this point, on the off chance that Superman has the ability 'sturdy'

Four moves. No blackhole used. Bam. Oh, and on the off chance that somehow does not work, telekinesis alone should be enough to cripple his ability to escape the black hole.

...Disregarding the fact that Superman has a slight tendency to develop new powers when convenient. Also, don't go telling Superman I'm talkin' smack about him. Watching him smack me around for it would just be sad.

@Machomuu: Yeees, but I just supplied fairly solid evidence that guns aren't good enough, at least not the handheld variety, and I feel kind of cheated because you didn't acknowledge that. Now, I've taken the liberty of being nerdy enough to resist the urge to go "HERP NOTHING IS SERIOUS LOL INTERNET" and took Pokemon seriously enough to do the research and get answers. If you don't like those answers, that's okay, but answer me this.

If guns are so effective against Pokemon, why are people, and criminals no less, still using pokemon to solve their fights? Game Freak is absolutely not afraid of mature content or offending people. They've done far worse than guns.

If guns are so effective, why doesn't a dragonite using extremespeed not even leave a pokemon to fight back? It's easily moving faster than any bullet, and that much more mass equals that much more destructive force.

And what about Rhyperior's rock wrecker? It's literally a gun that fires like... 9001 caliber stone bullets! It has a rather measly power of 150 for something that's supposed to be several leagues stronger than itty bitty bullets.

Have I made my point? lD

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Gamefreak wasn't afraid to, I'd say that much, but over the years they've become more kid-friendly, and as have the people in their games. But first, before I go on, I do want to say that I haven't seen any instances of guns in the games, and the Pokemon world is deprived of many of the things that we have in hour world, thus being rather vague in several areas (for instance, how do they get power? Sure, there was a Power Plant in Gen 1, but it was outta commission. Then there's food, where materials come from, etc.). Anyway, if we are to assume that guns exist (or if they do, I dunno), there could be plenty of reasons. The first being that the killing of pokemon (or the simple harming of them) is considered "evil", and this is exhibited several times throughout the games. In our world, killing animals is something we barely care about (much to my chagrine).

Second, it might be illegal, and it probably is considering the purity and lighthearted nature of the law enforcement (and seriously, if you pay attention to the hundreds of criminals faced in pokemon, they're pretty light-hearted, too; they may be "bad", but they're about as harmless as Team Rocket after Season 1). And I doubt that ExtremeSpeed is faster than a bullet, by far. A bullet reaches its target almost instantaneously, there's not much room for being faster than that; in fact, it's impossible for beings that aren't from, say, Superman or Dragon Ball (And I'd say the latter of which are easily faster than any pokemon, bar none).

But let me raise the question back to you, why is Extreme Speed not so lethal? I'd say it's because it's a game, and while that may sound shallow, GF has shown time and again that they care little about what a move is outside of battle, even if they reference things that may or may not exist in Pokemon canon, it's one of the many reasons that I fell out of love with the game. Still, it doesn't matter much. Even if ES were as fast as a bullet, it wouldn't be nearly as effective, simply because the velocity, trajectory, and shape are what make bullets so effective, it is because of the shape that bullets can pierce most anything at least slightly. Getting hit by an Arcanine using ES would knock you back (pretty far), but a bullet might kill you. Same goes for Rock Wrecker (though, if they were pebbles, that would be a different story); a big rock will obviously crush you, but it still doesn't staunch the piercing power of a gun. After all, a rock deals with Bludgeoning, and it's thrown fast, but maybe just as fast as a Quick Attack, if that. They're to completely different categories, but a bullet to the head (or chest) would probably do a crapton of damage, maybe it would even cause death (though, still, the Rock Wrecker definitely would with a direct hit (depending on the target and the strength of the Rhyperior), the speed and mass almost assure that).

Guns aren't needed because pokemon are much cheaper and cause no reason for concealment. You could easily kill someone with a pokemon, and they are far more convenient for the aforementioned reasons. Why carry a gun when you can just Horn Drill someone you don't like? Sure, a gun is lethal and easy to use, but they're more trouble when you have strong pokemon with you. Killing someone takes little effort, regardless of your choice. In the games, however, this doesn't happen to the player because they are challenged to battles...for reasons beyond me. Really, battles are about as effective as Yu-Gi-Oh duels (and I'm not referring to the Shadow Games), they are meant to be competitions for recreation, structured tests of skill, wit, and tact made to test both contestants...but criminals use it. As in, criminals who could very easily just kill you, and have literally no reason not to, but nope, they battle you instead and let you get away if you lose, only to come back later and rebattle them. Pokemon battles are, for the most part, illogical in "practical" use, and the only thing that I've really seen do it in a mature and sensible manner is Adventures/Special.

And I did read what you said, but I still hold that, by comparison to most pokemon moves, bullets are probably more effective due to the superior velocity and piercing power due to size. They are the more lethal weapons, and they were made (in real life) to be superior to natural powers, what's to say that, in a Pokemon world, they wouldn't be even more powerful than they are in our world (especially with the properties and materials that exist in Pokemon; heck, I'd be surprised if they didn't have guns that could affect pokemon with metal and iron coats, it'd be rather unconventional if they didn't)? The fact of the matter is, regardless of the vagueness of the games, equating gunshots and moves to physics is quite effective; sure, it's not fact, but I'd say the theories presented are good enough.

Having said that, Pokemon isn't a game that relies on logic, it's not something that tries to present truly reasonable and sensical characters, moves, etc. It's a game that knows it's a game and completely acknowledges it, and it is because of this that so many inconsistencies exist. The world of Pokemon, really, makes no sense. It makes no sense because it doesn't care to establish how things work to the player, and I can't tell if it does this to not scare away the kiddies or because it honestly doesn't give a crap (I mean, if they found out that pokemon had sex or that pokemon were eaten and ate each other, crap would hit the fan- at least, Game Freak seems to think so). I've been hoping, for so long, that they would make a game that was rated T and would just make sense of it all...but that won't ever happen; it can't, for the same reason a Pokemon Adventures anime hasn't been made: Pokemon studios and Gamefreak are trying to play it safe. The kids don't care about these inconsistencies, and because no one calls "BS" they don't really care to do anything about it, especially since "playing it safe" is so much easier. Logic? Screw it. In fact, trying to use logic to make sense of this world of inconsistencies only creates more of them. Why? Because I'm not even sure the creators know. Maybe they did before, but they certainly don't, now, and it'd have a heck of a time trying to make sense of it at this stage. Then, disregarding the inconsistencies, there are SO many things that are vague, I don't think I could even count them all. A lot of our theories about these things couldn't be verified, anyway, because hundreds upon hundreds of things were made simply because Pokemon is a game, not because they care about creating a logical canon. Sure, we could debate a gun's power vs a move's, but it'd do little good, because the moves are some of the most vague things in the series. And then there's death. How does that work? Sure, there was Pokemon Tower back in Gens 1 and 2, but not only is death rarely ever mentioned after that, but it also makes one wonder how lethal moves actually are. Why do pokemon get stronger in increments? Do pokemon have blood? If so, what does it take to draw it? Why is it that 99% of moves that should definitely kill...any living thing, regardless of level, do simple damage? Do pokemon hold back in battle? How do they acknowledge that they're in a battle? How does a pokemon not level entire cities with level 9 Magnitudes, Twister attacks, or Earthquakes? What does it take to kill a pokemon? Does it matter to them? No, they'll leave that crap to the FanFic writers and RPers, they're the only ones that actually seem to care. I'm not even sure they can make sense of many of the inconsistencies without creating more nonsense. Even arguing this is nonsensical. There's no right answer, and trying to make sense of it simply won't work, especially since the moves have vague descriptions, they're based completely on their power and effect, rather than what they're descriptions describe or what they actually do. This is why I chose to RP; in roleplay, the world is what you make it. You can make things make sense and don't feel tied down by the inconsistency and restricted nature of the games. It's that open-ended nature that is really what should truly define Pokemon, but sadly, it's just the opposite.

Last edited:

Dawn

Years
@TornZero: ...o_o More like a Swablu. Dodrios are pretty dang strong yo. =o I guess that's a... fair attack to compare it too though.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2012
Uh....I would like to know of ant Pokemon role plays.....

Uh....I would like to know of any Pokemon role plays.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back