• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serbian village council issues vampire alert

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
A municipal council in rural Serbia has reportedly issued a public health warning claiming that a vampire is on the loose.

Sales of garlic are booming in western Serbia after the council advised all villagers to place garlic on their doors and windows to ward off the legendary vampire, Sava Savanovic.i

Savanovic is believed to have been reawakened after an old mill in which he was said to have lived collapsed recently, the Romanian Times reports.

Villagers are now terrified that the vampire, one of the country's most feared and most famous, is roaming the countryside looking for fresh blood.

Local folklore says that Savanovic used to live at the mill and drink the blood of anyone who came to mill their grain.

The mill had become a tourist attraction, but was left in disrepair by the family who owned it because they feared disturbing the vampire.

Local mayor Miodrag Vujetic told the Romanian Times that the villagers were fearful.

"People are worried, everyone knows the legend of this vampire and the thought that he is now homeless and looking for somewhere else and possibly other victims is terrifying people."

He said the council had advised villagers to use garlic on their doors and windows and to put a Holy Cross in every room.

Source: The Telegraph

I found this very interesting o.O Thoughts? xD

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
What.

...I'm not sure what to think. I didn't actually go to that page, though.
Announcement that this is all just a hoax in 3...2...

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
The garlic producers must be loving this haha.

But I understand where they're coming from..sort of. If Obama told us something crazy (but that we previously believed in anyways), but that we could save ourselves by doing something as easy as buying garlic, then I'd do it. Better be safe than sorry lol.

Years
Is this for real? They don't name the village. And why would something in a Serbian village be reported in a Romanian newspaper?

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Is this for real? They don't name the village. And why would something in a Serbian village be reported in a Romanian newspaper?

I've never heard of a 'Telegraph' in Romania O.o And yes it's for real, not the vampire story, but the story was spread around, probably to sell garlic hehe.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
How is garlic going to save them from the vampire? Given the fact that the village is in Europe, the original mythology of the vampire is far different than the hollywood vampire, which I believe started the whole garlic fiasco. Even James Rolfe doesn't get where the whole garlic thing came to be.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I'm a bit astounded that this has happened in Serbia, I thought something like this might have happened in Transylvania, Romania, with someone like Vlad the Impaler instead. I dunno what to say, except the Garlic producers will be rubbing their hands at this.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
Even James Rolfe doesn't get where the whole garlic thing came to be.
Thinking about what he said, the people in Serbia shouldn't be afraid of the vampire, they should feel sorry for it.Pretty much anything can kill it, whether it be sunlight, letting it come into your house without inviting it in, or pretty much anything that can be found inside a church.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Well garlic was a part of the original Bram Stoker novel so at the very least, it originated before the times of Hollywood. Pretty sure Dracula doesn't die to sunlight as he appeared in daytime quite a bit too in the novel (but neither will he sparkle either, so thank God for that!)

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
What bs. Garlic wouldn't stop a vampire, so it's just total nonsense lol. Just a tourist thing I guess.

Years
I don't think this is a hoax. I am a firm believer in vampires. Only vampires with clean teeth may suck my blood though ;)

Just kidding.

Seriously though, whaaatttttt? I remember reading in a newspaper from Leicester that a zombie apocalypse was apparently mean to happen.

It's a mad, mad world.

Years
It's a pretty good from a marketing standpoint, Vampires as a genre/thing is in, (thank you Twilight) so this is their way to capitalize and bring in some capital. You could probably learn a good thing or two if you actually did visit this part of the world for its culture/history, so why not. Whatever floats your boat.

Back