• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

How to change the Font

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2013
How to change the Font

1. Includes....
- Preface
- Tools and Knowledge
- Guidance
- Offsets for other Roms
- Conclusion

2. Preface
Hi,
I´m Hackrex, a German Hacker. At first I want to apolgize because my English is terrible. Okay a long question was (i have posed me this a longt time) how can I change the font in Pokémon Roms. I have searched it with TileMolester but never find it until now. So here you can see my new solution and how to change it.

3. Tools and Knowledge

This is what you need:
- Visual Boy Advance or other Emulators
- TileMolester or other good TileViewers
- a new Font
- Knowledge with your TileViewer
- A Brain xD (you must look correctly that you make no mistakes with the letters)

4. Guidance
How has thought it? We beginn with opening TileMolester (In the pics you see the German Firered Rom-->Feuerrot, the Firered Offsets are nearly the same)
Spoiler:

Ok now we open the Rom!
Spoiler:

And now we have to change the mode from 4bpp to 2bpp
Spoiler:

It has to look like this:
Spoiler:

Now we navigate to 2122D8 (Firered have an other, nearby Offset)
Spoiler:

Ok there you have the font for the Oak Intro.
Spoiler:

You have to export this and open it in paint or something else.
Ok you must flip it horizontal because its wrong. But never forgot after you finished your drawing to flip it back.
Spoiler:

Ok on the left side was the lower part of the letter and on the other, right side the higher part.
Here to show that every normal letter is there. (Special letters you can find when you go some rows back)
Spoiler:

My finished drawing on the right side (I have flipped it back to "normal")
Spoiler:

Insert it
Spoiler:

And now you can see it in the Oak Intro
12.png

For the Ingame Letters we have to navigate to 2225F0
Spoiler:

There we can insert the same picture
Spoiler:

Ingame does it look ....
15.png

Now we are finished!

5. Offsets for other Roms
For Feuerrot:
1F5DF0, 201FF0, 212308, 222620
For Firered:
1F5DF0, 201FF0, 212308, 222620
For Smaragd:
647194, 63F714 and 64fb14
For Emerald:
636900, 62e670 and 63ea70
For Esmeralda (I think, I am not sure if this is the real name):
630ba4, 640fa4 and 638da4
For Blattgrün:

For LeafGreen:
1F5F9C, 20219C, 2124B4, or 2227CC (different for Help Menu, Intro, Ingame, etc.)
For Rubin:

For Ruby:

For Saphir:

For Sapphire:

Temporarily no other Offsets available because I don´t have the time to search it. But I hope YOU can help me.

6. Conclusion
This Tutorial is Copyright © by Hackrex. You aren´t allowed to post it everywhere. You have to ask for permission if you want to post this tutorial anywhere. For using my Font in a Rom you have to give Credits!
Thank you droomph for some offsets and correcting my English. And if there are other mistakes, please tell me and I would correct it.

Sorry for bad English, again!

Last edited:
Reactions: RMB
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2023
Oh this I will be very useful! I have tried to change in FR as well as in ruby with the font but I have not been successful. Especially without the offsets, it's all very complicated hehe.

Thank you very much!

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2013
In the Roms you find more Letters.
One Offset for Help Menu
One for Ingame
One for Intro
One for Town Names, I think

so you must edit it on different offsets in ruby before you have found the right for the ingame. I hope you success

the offsets between the German and the Englisch Version have a little different. If you want to make the same changes then I have done you would click +/-

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
You can edit the font much easier in NSE, In fact it's in the bookmarks.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2013
the font you can find in the bookmarks aren´t the font you can see in the game.
It isn´t the right and it isn´t the same font as here in this tutorial.

And you are right. If you know the right Offset you can change it with NSE much easier. But how can you change 4bpp to 2bpp in NSE?

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
The offset in Emerald BPEE is around 0x636900. I can't say, because I can't make out what the pattern is supposed to be, so just search around on Tile Molester for that.

Also, in Emerald BPED it is around 0x647194.

By the way, there are three copies of the string of hex I used to find this, I didn't check, and it's most likely the second one (as it is with the BPEE version I did check), the one I put up here.

And, in LeafGreen BPGE it is either 0x1f5f9c, 0x20219c, 0x2124b4, or 0x2227cc, apparently. It's late and it's a long process if I personally want to check it.

(And by the way something that caught my eye is that you spell "English" as "Englisch". Just remember that "sch" in German is "sh" in English. And also, the "It must look so:" after the third picture is better worded as "It has to look like this:" Just a couple of suggestions...I know I'm worse at German than you are at English)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2013
ok, thank you.
For the other pokemon versions I can research the offsets in a few week. But I hope there is anywhere a person who can help me.

Are there any spain hackers who can give me the offsets for the spain versions?

//Edit: Thany you again!
Soon I would have holidays. On holidays I can work on every Rom. But I think your work is also really good. I don´t have to so much to do, that I thought. Thank you

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
ok, thank you.
For the other pokemon versions I can research the offsets in a few week. But I hope there is anywhere a person who can help me.

Are there any spain hackers who can give me the offsets for the spain versions?

AAAH I HATE MYSELF

Emerald only uses one set: at 0x64C2E4 (BPEE). Or at least I think so.

I hope I'm not being annoying.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2013
well, I don´t understand your post....

Ok, the thing I want to wrote is that I found out that in Firered and Feuerrot it is possible to use the same offsets:
1F5DF0
201FF0
This show the same pictures, so you can use one picture for all four offsets.
The next thing is that there are four and not three offsets, where you have to use.
And that you have to go a row back and and row foreward that you can change all letters.

droomph

weeb
Years
Well, it really doesn't matter.

There are multiple tables for the fonts; just give them the general area.

For example, in BPEE, look around the 0x620004 offset; you'll find fonts, and just change each of them, and record down which ones work.

In BPRE, look around the 0x1F0000 area, and remember that some tables are aligned at +0x4 offsets, and some are aligned at +0x8.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
I don't know why, but I feel like the text in the hack could ultimately be used to influence the public opinion of that hack. Subliminally and what not.

This is a great tutorial, step by step is easy to follow.

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2020
Can you make an video tutorial or a tool? I don't understand what I'm supposed to do...

Epsilon

Shiny Scizor
Years
Thanks for the font offsets! On that note, some parts of Fire Red (like battling) use a tinier font. I found it at 001EA900 in Tile Molester, same settings.

Back