• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Indexing and Inserting Sprites

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Question: Why do we have to change the left-most colour? I don't see the point in doing that as it wreaks the sprite. I tried that and my sprite still wouldn't insert. anyway. Here's the sprite:
Swimadile2-2.png

yes, it wreaks(whatever that means) your sprite...
did you followed my tutorial? I clearly said that after you switched the palletes, don't overwrite it to your old one.

anyways, if you have doubts, then just try it out for yourself for what'll happen. ;)
remember to save back-ups~

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
Ok then, I understand better now. Sort of.

EDIT: Got it indexed correctly but it says: "Sprite to big aborting" or something like that. How do I make it smaller?
I'm replacing Charmander with this:
Magub-2.png
if it helps.

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Hey DJG, I think you should put that offsets that only end with 0,4,8 and C (basically any offset that is a multiple of 4 in decimal) should be used when repointing since anything else will crash the ROM when the image should be displayed.

I believe this is what is causing problems for people :P

MC Blaze

The Breeder
Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2010
Finaly, a tutorial that actualy make sense (at least to me). You should keep doing tuts about stuff you know, since this one turned out very good, also, I could use some advice.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years

EDIT: Got it indexed correctly but it says: "Sprite to big aborting" or something like that. How do I make it smaller?
Magub-2.png
if it helps.
When you insert the sprite, if it is too big, you need to give it an offset. (like 0x850000 )
Then click the "Automatically fix pointers" button.(Note, after you do this it is kinda hard to reverse, so be sure to make a backup of your game.)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023

Magub-2.png
if it helps.

hm...
I included that in this tutorial if the new sprite's too big.
I also added a video tutorial.
you should follow instructions though. :\

Hey DJG, I think you should put that offsets that only end with 0,4,8 and C (basically any offset that is a multiple of 4 in decimal) should be used when repointing since anything else will crash the ROM when the image should be displayed.

I believe this is what is causing problems for people :P

Is that so? I should try and see that for myself then. :\
Thanks for the info, though~

Finaly, a tutorial that actualy make sense (at least to me). You should keep doing tuts about stuff you know, since this one turned out very good, also, I could use some advice.

thanks~

When you insert the sprite, if it is too big, you need to give it an offset. (like 0x850000 )
Then click the "Automatically fix pointers" button.(Note, after you do this it is kinda hard to reverse, so be sure to make a backup of your game.)

It's simple to reverse the sprite you newly inserted if they're too big.
simply delete the [hackname].spr. then open your ROM with a hex editor and go to the offset you used for your new sprite, and erase all the consumed data the sprite used.
but yeah, back-ups are really handy, too. ;)

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
hm...
I included that in this tutorial if the new sprite's too big.
I also added a video tutorial.
you should follow instructions though. :\

Is that so? I should try and see that for myself then. :\
Thanks for the info, though~

thanks~

It's simple to reverse the sprite you newly inserted if they're too big.
simply delete the [hackname].spr. then open your ROM with a hex editor and go to the offset you used for your new sprite, and erase all the consumed data the sprite used.
but yeah, back-ups are really handy, too. ;)

Well it's like that because the images are LZ77 compressed. Look at the offsets in unLZ that Nintendo inserted them into.

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2010
This is nice tutorial really, I'm making my own hack, so just came here on this forum to see what's going on. And I wanna say, when you hack Ruby, use PokePic for Sprites, not unlzGBA, it's much more easier. When the image is too big, PokePic automatically finds Free Space, so you don't have to use FSF or Hex. But PokePic can only be used on Ruby and Sapphire. And for the Icons, you cannot edit them in Pokepic, you use Rom Hacker XP that I've found here on this page. That's the most helpfull tool for Sprite I've ever seen.

timson733333

Woah.
Years
It would help if the pictures were available, i'm kinda lost in replacing the back sprite... "paste the Pokemon that you would like to replace onto yours?"

And also, when I try to add in the back sprite, it goes ahead and replaces the front as well with the back sprite.

Last edited:

KotovSyndrome_

Consumer of many asparagus.
Years
Hmm..

Mine also just changes the palette..
and, it doesn't change the image offset when I type in the new one :/

please help :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
If you're having problems with UnLZ-GBA, try using Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor (see my signature); it's specifically designed for editing Pokémon sprites, and is a lot easier to use than UnLZ-GBA (you don't even need to index). Not to mention it sorts out the back and shiny palettes for you.

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2012
OK nice job and thanks for the help but how do I find a pokemon to replace in unlz gba?

Loonie

Mischievous Gamer
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2012
Oo thnx for this site very much this is really great and helpful for me I am a beginner at spriting so this is really help full for me inserting my crappy drawings in a rom game thnx ^_^

Zoachu

Pikachu?
Years
Oh my Gawshhh. Thank you SO much for making this! :D
I've been looking for something my small mind can actually understand, and this is exactly what I needed.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2012
i am a beginner and i follow your steps above but when i want toput my sprite in rom with unlzgba it said the image not indexed why? please help me i am stuck

Back