• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Scientific Waves

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
While there are some heavy speculation about these pokemon games being a general genetics theme, which I too am leaning towards, and while there are specific threads that are about the theme of genetics being applied to these games, I sorta wanted to have a thread about another possible theme, scientific waves. Now, by scientific waves, I mean light and sound. While light and sound may not be new types, people have speculated that these games can be light and sound themed. Here's an interesting theory that I and I think a couple of people here saw, that theorizes possible light and sound types, or maybe a possible theme with these games:

https://images.4chan.org/vp/src/1357999365912.png

Or if you don't want to click the link, basically the theory goes separate with light and sound:

Sound
  • Yuvental, maybe based on a wavern that produces screeches and sounds
  • "Sound" types already exist within pokemon games, and pokemon have abilities and moves that based on it
  • Yuvental is the only pokemon to "make a sound" in the trailer (but I personally think that all the pokemon in the trailer will be bound to make sounds anyway)

Light
  • Light is pretty much one of the most requested type in the game
  • The colors on Xerneas's antlers could represent a light spectrum, so could that mean it represents light?
  • In the trailer Xerneas is represented by light shafts

But now, the purpose of this thread is, while X&Y could represent light and sound, what does that mean for the pokeuniverse for you? Well, actually, lemme rephrase: what do you personally think of a light and sound scientific wave theme? How can pokemon be affected by light and sound? How can origins of pokemon be explained with light and sound? Any other thoughts you would like to share?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I actually really doubt the genetic deal since finding the article on Norse mythology in my other thread.

The light and sound theme seems pretty dull in comparison, and like a bit of a weak rehash of space and time in Gen IV which had a lot more of an astral plot as opposed to just science. That's all imo though, because I was never fond of Gen I and its antagonistic team focusing on DNA and genetics in the first place. I like the more mystical plots like in Gen II and Gen V which had the whole ancient Japan and Taoism, respectively, going for it. That seems to have become the trend as well, as even though Gen III had some science going for it, it all fell back on the legendary trio controlling weather.

Pokemon seems to have broken out of the primarily science plot since way back in Gen II, and in all honesty I kind of doubt we'll see much of that again, at least not as the primary antagonistic goals, if you get what I mean.

Years
Light and sound don't really strike me as themes. More like embellishments. Little details. Almost everything emits sounds, and plenty of Pokemon can roar, screech and so on. And plenty can emit light, too.

Of course legendaries usually have lots of aspects merged together so they could well be inspired by Norse legends, genetics, sound and light, and a half dozen other things, too.

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
I think they missed their chance to add a Light type when they made Gen V. Reshiram would be an obvious Light type. When I saw Reshiram and Zekrom for the first time I though "Light and Dark". I was probably not the only one.

I don't think they should make a Light type because, I think, Fighting type covers that role very well by beating up the bad guys (dark type).

As for a Sound type, the whismur line could be sound types, chatot, meloetta... And I don't know what else. I don't think the sound type is a bad idea. I thought the Light type was a good thing to add to the franchise, but now that Gen V went by and it being about opposites... I don't think it's a good idea.

If Light is more like, benevolence, justice... I think Fighting types are good heroes.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
You have a rainbow colored DNA helix on the Japanese titles. Its fairly in our face on what they intend to use for the theme. Not saying that Sound/Light isn't plausable, nor that the legends can't be based off Norse Mythology. But its pretty laid out for us that the theme is around Genetics.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I honestly find the sound/light theme to not be very convincing, at this point in time with the evidence we have. I might be wrong. But the DNA theory has my support right now, because of the many perceived clues that make it easy to defend... whereas this theory is harder to defend, because it could be dismissed as multiple coincidences.

The Norse mythology theory is, if anything, supplementary, in my humble opinion. It might be something the designers stuck on to add more depth to the games, but I don't consider it to be the main theme of these games.

I don't think Pokemon has "broken out" of the science theme, at all. (Mythology has never been my cup of tea, anyway.) I saw Black and White as science vs. nature (and ideals vs. truths, which may or may not be part of some religion). Generation IV was all Space/Time/etc., which is science. Generation III had a primarily mythological theme, and so did Generation II. And of course, Generation I was all over genetics.

As for a Sound type, the whismur line could be sound types, chatot, meloetta... And I don't know what else. [...]

If Light is more like, benevolence, justice... I think Fighting types are good heroes.

There are plenty of Pokemon that could be Sound type. Meloetta actually does not come to mind, but I can easily think of the Igglybuff line, the Kricketot line, the Chingling line, Misdreavus, Politoed, etc etc. These are just a few, but you could probably find one or two more that could fit the Sound type.

My interpretation of the Light type is a little more different than yours, but that's fine! If the Light type were to exist, though, I wouldn't think of them as a counter to Dark types at all. Not "heroes", per say. I wouldn't expect them to either resist or be effective against Dark types either, but if you think differently, that's okay! It's not like I really care, since I'd prefer a Sound type over a Light type. (For example, I would consider Blissey to make a good Light type, and most if not all Fighting types to make bad Light types, but that's just my opinion.)

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Sound and Light do actually sound interesting as a theme for Pokémon X and Y, though I do technically think that the theme would be about Beginning and End of life.

Though Sound does actually sound like an interesting type, isn't it already in a ROM hack called Pokémon Prism? xD

But Light... pretty much many people want to see a Light-type in the game, while this is the reversed side of the Dark-type, which is about sneaky tactics and stuff... the Light-type could be about helping out and brightness, so moves like Helping Hand and Flash would become Light-type.

And while alot of stuff about the scientific waves that are about visual and auditory seem quite familiar with the legendaries, I'm pretty sure Xernias and Yveltal seem as if they're about beginning and end of life, not about light and sound.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Sound and Light do actually sound interesting as a theme for Pokémon X and Y, though I do technically think that the theme would be about Beginning and End of life.

[...]

And while alot of stuff about the scientific waves that are about visual and auditory seem quite familiar with the legendaries, I'm pretty sure Xernias and Yveltal seem as if they're about beginning and end of life, not about light and sound.

Well, that's certainly a new theory I hadn't heard of...

It's interesting how many theories about the new legendaries there are, though.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I guess Light and Sound does seem like a tricky aspects to implement as a pokeworld theme/plot. I'm not sure.. maybe if it's possible, could it be implemented as a form of Western poetry? Bear with me for a sec because I'm going to step away from the 'sciency theories' for a second - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Light is one of the primary metaphors in sacred poetry, suggesting the Divine not framed within a mental concept. Or, maybe you can refer to light as a symbol:
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Purity[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Order[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Safety[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Righteousness[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Possibly Dictatorship[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maybe in some say, [/FONT]Xerneas represents these light themes? I've heard that arguably in poetry, Light and Darkness are two things that rely on each other; one can't survive without the other. So, what if Yuvental may not represent 'sound', but 'darkness'? See look; darkness isn't necessarily evil, but, darkness can be one's 'salvation' in a way. Or... we can refer darkness as a variety of symbols:

• Uncertainty
  • Tragedy
  • Freedom
  • Alienation
  • Blindess
Well, again, while darkness could be pictured as 'bad', it can also be 'good', (re. Freedom). So.. eh...? XD Well, that was just my ramble talking, but, hey, it's just to pass ideas around!

As for Sound... okay, that is a little tricky to tie into light; the only similarities they have are.. pretty much that they have wavelengths, hence the title, 'scientific waves'. Reading theories about these things tieing into the legendary pokemon... eh, it's hard to tell how they've influenced the pokeworld; I agree with that. Could sound tie into how pokemon got their specific 'cries'? Could 'light' justify how pokemon can't be truly 'evil'? It's quite a long stretch~

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
The introduction of Sound type means re-typing of several pokemon... Jigglypuff, Audino, Whismur, etc... I am not very keen on this, personally.

Light type makes sense I guess, but I would prefer Light type and Cosmic type.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The introduction of Sound type means re-typing of several pokemon... Jigglypuff, Audino, Whismur, etc... I am not very keen on this, personally.

Despite the name, Audino doesn't really fit in with that.

Jigglypuff line and Whismer line..yes I can see that. Whismer more so than Jigglypuff. Whismer has the Sound Proof ability that pretty much associates it with everything relating to sound, while Jigglypuff's main attraction is its ability to sing, a trait that many Pokemon share, just more prominent on Jigglypuff.

As for Retyping, doesn't have to be retyped. Unlike with Magnemite/Magneton, they don't have to add more as they can just create new ones like with Dark and then retype the attacks which makes Whismer a line that would be fully immune to one specific attack type outside of type match up. A trait shared by Pokemon with Levitate, Water Absorb, Flash Fire, etc.

Shiny Bidoof

On fire
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
New types theory!

It would be so cool if it were true. I'd love some new types.

Despite the name, Audino doesn't really fit in with that.

According to bulbapedia "Audino have an incredible hearing ability and can use their ears like radars."

Bit of a stretch, but I could still see it. Also Kricketune could be sound, and Shinx could be secondary light.

Last edited:

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Light and sound are something that would be welcomed by the majority of Pokemon fans and it could only boost sales, right? I suppose sound would be super effective against Psychic and weak to Steel, while Light would be super effective against Dark and weak to... Grass? Would solar beam be better described as light? Hyper beam, psybeam also.

Cosmic type? All about gravity and vacuums? Cresselia, Solrock, Lunatone, Deoxys, Clefable... I suppose it would suit them all but as most of them already have 2 types, there's no way they would change it and it would annoy me if there was a cosmic type and Cresselia wasn't one. I think Psychic covers it pretty well, what with the manipulation of objects by strange forces.

blue

gucci
Years
I support this theory but there are a multitude of other theories flying around atm, I would like the idea of Sound & Light types but whether they will take that road or not I don't know.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Light and sound are something that would be welcomed by the majority of Pokemon fans and it could only boost sales, right? I suppose sound would be super effective against Psychic and weak to Steel, while Light would be super effective against Dark and weak to... Grass? Would solar beam be better described as light? Hyper beam, psybeam also.

Well, yeah, all types of 'beam moves' are beams of light energy, so they could be considered 'light-esque' types.

Now, about Sound - steel I can understand, but I'm not sure about Psychic - because see, Psychic has to do with controlling stuff the mind. Moves like Darkness and Bug are super effective against Psychic because they "infect" the mind in some way. Sound can affect the mind in numerous ways, in both good, and bad, so... the jury might be out on that one. I can see them not-effecting each other, personally, but it can work in... whatever they would decide to do.

Hm, this is just a thought of the origin of sound, but, maybe sound was created by a being who want to manipulate pokemon in numerous ways. Maybe in more... harmonious feel? Maybe sound was created to counter chaos.. someway? Of course, in this case, this sound is applied to Yuvental, but, eh, poking at theory thoughts~

Last edited:
Back