• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Hey guys, guess what Forever Lost just won! I'm surprised too, we went up against Garnet & NeoEras, two amazing games you should check out!

spotlight_banner.png

Atomic Reactor

Hey guys, guess what Forever Lost just won! I'm surprised too, we went up against Garnet & NeoEras, two amazing games you should check out!

spotlight_banner.png

Is that why it is now a sticky thread? I was so confused lol
Congratulations :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Hey guys, really excited to present an interview which was held between me and the presenters of The Filter Podcast.

Go check it out HERE.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
cool podcast.
Wow, I can't believe you're getting experience at Media Molecule, one of my favourite developers out there; love LBP. [im so jelly]

the psp functionality sounds interesting, ill be looking into that.

Last edited:

TeaSpork

I disapprove.
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2011
I'm absolutely loving this game except for one thing:

the starters.

WHY DID YOU DO FIGHTING/DARK/PSYCHIC? It means that whoever chooses the Psychic type is weaker than the others. It's quite silly. Why not use Rock/Flying/Fighting? It's a perfect trio that DOESN'T screw someone over.

Sorry if that seemed mean... I'm just tired of people choosing these Dark/Fighting/Psychic trios because they are quite dumb compared to Fire/Water/Grass or Rock/Flying/Fighting. Sometimes, it seems that I'm the only person who EVER realized that there were better, more fair options. You can keep your starters if you want, but I just want you to think about this :D

Good luck!

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
I'm absolutely loving this game except for one thing:

the starters.

WHY DID YOU DO FIGHTING/DARK/PSYCHIC? It means that whoever chooses the Psychic type is weaker than the others. It's quite silly. Why not use Rock/Flying/Fighting? It's a perfect trio that DOESN'T screw someone over.

Sorry if that seemed mean... I'm just tired of people choosing these Dark/Fighting/Psychic trios because they are quite dumb compared to Fire/Water/Grass or Rock/Flying/Fighting. Sometimes, it seems that I'm the only person who EVER realized that there were better, more fair options. You can keep your starters if you want, but I just want you to think about this :D

Good luck!

Umm.. Psychic has an advantage over fight pokemon.
However Dark is not affected by Psychic...

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Umm.. Psychic has an advantage over fight pokemon.
However Dark is not affected by Psychic...

Sure, Psychic is super effective against fighting, but it doesn't even affect dark.
fighting, even if not very effective, still does damage to psychic. Same goes for Dark attacking fighting.

So Psychic is a little underpowered. I'm sure Gav/Abnegation has a smart solution for making it more balanced though!

TeaSpork

I disapprove.
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2011
Even if their stats are increased, it means that the Psychic-type will be at a disadvantage.

Also, that probably mean they'll get a stat buff to be on the same level stat wise as starters, not type-balanced as them.

ShadowTheDarkrai

The :~*Fanciest*~: Snivy around
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Hmm... This game looks very good and has good music. What are the The Hearts based on? Many games have antagonists that act in a certain way due to their theme. For instance, The Go-Rock-Squad in Pokemon Ranger are based on their leaders playing music. Btw I don't think you should make a gym leader related to Poker when the antagonists are related too, unless the gym leader is their leader. I do think that the Poker relationships are a unique idea. I would like to know where I could find the software for this game when it comes out. Thank you!

Wymsical

V.S. The Wymsical Champion
Years
Hmm, this game looks very interesting. Better than the crap that Gamefreak makes. The soundtrack is great, the starters are far more interesting than the same old Fire/Water/Grass, and the graphics look amazing. The fact that the starters are both two-evolution and that their stats are upped makes perfect sense. It IS true that the Psychic type Pokemon will be at a disadvantage, but three options to bypass this are:

1. Make it so the Psychic type knows a different type move at the start of the game.

2. Later in-game, the player will obviously have other Pokemon with them, so they couldn't be stupid enough to use their starter against the rival's Dark-type unless it has a non-Psychic move.

3. Change the game so that Psychics DO do a little damage to Darks.

Anything is possible when you're hacking. And you've got my full support. I'll be tagging around to check on your progress, and begging waiting for a demo. lol

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Wow, congratulations on the spotlight, Gav! You totally deserve it; your game looks great!

Re: the starters, I don't think it's that huge of a deal that it's slightly unbalanced; after all, the hoenn starters are unbalanced (Swampert is 4x weak to grass), and so are the sinnoh starters (Infernape has a type advantage against both Torterra and Empoleon). The objective is to use lots of Pokemon of different types in order to compensate for your team's weaknesses. ;D

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Thanks for the comments, but yes, some of you who have been complaining about the starter imbalance; you should probably take notice of the very popular R/S/E games, as well as D/P/P. And like those, my game will be able to balance that variety. Some of you guys came off as quite rude with how you approached that too, so as I say, do your research before you start assuming what I've done is such a big mistake.

At any rate, I should have some updates soon. Been quite unwell, but I've got some new towns and areas for you to see.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Wow, I shouldn't expect any less of a visually stunning game from someone such as yourself. The tiles and palettes seem to work perfectly, as I take there aren't many restrictions when creating a game from scratch? You seem to have placed a lot of attention to detail and the game looks great in terms of travelling throughout. The story itself seems interesting as well cause it leaves a lot of space for twists and turns ;)

I guess I'll have to stick around and see how far this project goes through, good luck!

The starter trio is actually horrible though. I kid I kid, I've heard of the type variation but in terms of Pokemon chosen it's actually pretty interesting and original, but I would always go with Poochyena :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back