• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

favorite gen

favorie generation

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Mine's the first, although 2nd is pretty close behind. It's just that almost all my favorite Pokemon are from the first 2 generations.
It's not like I hate 3rd, 4th & 5th, I love them all! But the 1st is just my favorite xD

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Well................what are we comparing?

the region?
the pokemon?
the story?
the evolutions/pre-evos they added?
the villains?
the graphics?
the amount of nostalgia gained?
or which generation is the fav on most of these questions?

I have different answers for each of these.
And I like the equivalent parts of different generations for different reasons, because they are done differently.

For example in terms of pokemon,
simply comparing hundreds of unique designs with other hundreds of creatures at the same time is not an easy task to begin with,
but I cannot even directly compare them as each generation introduced pokemon with a different purpose.
So generation IV was trying to be the cherry on the cake, by complimenting the prevous 3 generations, while generation V was all about a completely unrelated fresh start.

I can see how one would compare certain groups and roles, like starters, legendaries, fossils and so on... but much further from that I have a very hard time taking anyones preference about this serious or meaningful without a page of elaboration of what they took into consideration.

:D

shadexpwn

Shadexpwn
Years
My all time favorite was Pokemon Yellow and I played it alongside the original television series as well as some VHS tapes. I then bought some trading cards to compare the characters with my progress and see if I wanted to catch anything else. The good old days were my all time favorite after that would be Sapphire and Crystal.

Years
5th Generation for me cos it introduced some of my favorite Pokemon and I love the designs of the characters as well as the yin-yang motif with Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem.

It's a really cool generation and that's why I love it, and it introduced my signature Pokemon!

TY

5th... it gave me Skyla, Excadrill, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Gigalith and much more awesome stuff... great region, good starters (Oshawott FTW lol)

Only downside: Audino... ugly piece of {bad word lmao}

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Like MiTjA mentioned, it depends, the question has various answers.

For my favorite types of Pokemon, most of them are from the 1st generation.

Anime I liked Hoenn. Same for me with the games, I love playing Sapphire.

Villains, 1 to 4, Team Rocket, they are only reason I watch the anime, Team Rocket trio always make me laugh.

@mitja all of them count
why dosent anybody else like hoenn

In the Anime, I love the Hoenn generation, it kept me entertained the most.

Years
  • Age 24
  • =/
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013
I like both 3rd and 4th Gen.
I like 3rd Gen because I like Sharpedo!
And I like 4th Gen because so much legendaries!

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2015
My favorite generation has to be the second gen. A lot the features we have today, in some shape or form came from it. special pokeballs, berries, day and night, and a bit more. Let's not forget the pokemon of the generation.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Been playing since Gen I. Since I haven't spent too much time with Gen IV, I can't really judge it. But I find Gen V more interesting and better, so Gen V (including BW2) is my favorite. Great mons, cool features (World Tournament, seasons, battle animations), awesome characters, extraordinary music, interesting story.

rayan.b

i like cinnamon :)
Years
i didn't even have to think twice 4th gen all the way XD
5th gen is my second fave because its so balanced and everyone seems to like at least one thing about it and the story addition was pretty cool
3rd gen follows with its uniqueness
2nd gen was really fun and it was my first to play and it completed the first
1st gen comes in last because of how unfair and unbalanced it is
i still love all pokemon generations but i just love some more than others XD

i like cinnamon :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • IL
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Most of my Pokemon memories are from Gen I (Yellow), but I spent countless hours on Gen III (Sapphire & Emerald)

In terms of my preferences. Gen I/Gen III > Gen II > Gen V > Gen IV.

Not really a huge fan of Gen IV (other than HGSS)

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

IllusDark8

Generation 1 was what started a lot of people's love for Pokemon as well it started a lot of theories. I like Generation 1 because of it's interesting back stories, glitches and for it's amazing and epic fanbase upon Pokemon Theories.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like Gen III because of the really catchy music there. Gen V comes close for the interesting Pokemon introduced.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
I love all of them, as one might expect.

GenI is my least favourite, I think. It was a rather unrefined and rough game, which is to be expected for the first in the franchise. The other four are quite closely packed together, so that makes it a little more difficult for me to choose.

Johto picked up in the problems that GenI had, and was significantly bigger than the previous game. It set the standard for the next set of games and expanded greatly on the mechanics. Johto was a much more interesting region too, I think. Hoenn was a wonderful breath of fresh air in the series having no connection to Johto or Kanto, and had some very interesting Pokemon that really stood out from the others. Sinnoh may have been the best setting but that's just my preference for frosty settings, and it introduced some of my favourite Pokemon. Unova was just faaaaaabulous. Picked up on a lot of the other game's faults (the storyline, for example) and its isolation from the other regions gave me a faint reminder of the times I used to play Yellow when I was younger. Nostalgia. <3

I think that my adventures through Sinnoh in GenIV were the most memorable though, so I would have to say that one. I have a soft spot for many of the Pokemon released in this Generation too. I'd say that GenV was a 'better' game, but IV had a certain charm to it that I can't deny. Platinum specifically, because it really improved upon Pearl/Diamond. Plus, a return to Johto was quite pleasant.

Mentalii

Back
Years
My favourite gen is, and will always be the 2nd one <3 Best Pokémon, best region, best games ever... Really, it's the generation that introduced me to Pokémon, so I obviously like it better than the other ones.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Wow, Gen 3 is winning? I thought people disliked that one.

Gen 3 takes the cake as my favorite. I've never played R/S/E ironicallly, but I grew up with Gen 3 games. My first was either Colosseum or Pokemon Channel, then I got Blue Rescue Team, then Pokemon Ranger then XD. So there's a little bit of nostalgia that makes me love Hoenn so much. But in these games, many other Pokemon than just Hoenn ones were available and I found myself liking a lot of Kanto and Johto designs. But Hoenn has the highest number of my favorite Pokemon designs and games, so I just love it the most <3

In order, I like: Hoenn, Johto, Kanto, Unova and Sinnoh.

Back