• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can't tell if this card is fake

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2013
So I bought some holo cards from ebay to try to replace some banged up cards I have in my collection. I didn't pay a lot for these cards, but they also were not suspiciously cheap. I bought from a seller who specializes in cards and has 100% positive ratings. I got three cards. Two of which look completely legit. One is a little iffy. It is a holo Ninetales from the base set. Knowing that anything bought from ebay is questionable at best, I closely examined each card and this one only has two things that bother me about it: it's miscut and the color seems washed out. Everything else about it checks out, however. I can see the black layer of paper when looking at the edge of the card, the texture is similar enough, only smoother than the card I have because it's in better condition, and the image and holo foil is exactly like the card I have. Basically it doesn't look "off" until you look kind of close at it.

I've attached images of the base set Ninetales cards I have.
In the first two images, the questionable card is on the bottom. The third image it's on the right. The last image it is the card on the bottom of the stack (it's not the card in terrible condition).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 10, 2015
The card appears to be real. Having a misaligned border is a common feature of pokemon cards, and the "washed out" colour is likely due to too much exposure to light. As a collector, I don't think most people would care about the border, considering it isn't a particularly rare holo. The fade on the card would bother me more, personally, but if you didn't pay very much for it then that's probably why the condition isn't perfect.

Ledgetheorc

Pokemon Researcher
Years
I've got a Ninetails which looks crazy fake but turned out to be real, it mostly looked fake due to how the Holo was on the picture. Sadly the almost fake card was later crushed in an unfortunate card slide, crumpled and mangled. So I have no picture. But Ninetails is definitely one I had trouble with in the past.

Years
its real, i can tell from the back of the card because its dark blue. if it was fake it would have a different shade of blue and some mispellings on the writing of the cards.
example:
flip a coin, if heads draw a card= real
flip a coin, if heads darw a card= fake
-----------mispelling^

this card is mispelled
scan0003.jpg

and look at the differences of these two cards. the elements are a little big on the fake card
c8a9_2.JPG
ninetails_DF_8.jpg

Last edited:
Back