• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Communication Problems.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Every time I use Wifi in my 3DS to communicate with someone, it takes alot longer than usual to connect and often after some time it will just cut and lose the connection. I've tried other places to connect, most especially my parent's office, and the connection is just normal and very responsive. Only at home will the connection be very sloppy. There are times the connections pull through but it gets tiresome to have to fail numerous times before a recipient gets through. Other services like browser and GTS in Pokemon work phenomenally well, but communication with a live player is where the problem always gets me. What is causing the problem and how can I fix it?

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
How far are you away from the router?

I'm quite near enough. Only a room beside where I am currently but I usually connect at a room at the other side of where I am. That room usually has more respondents with random matchups when I go to my bed. It's a bunkbed BTW and I'm at the top.

Years
Hmm, in that case, have you at least tried to manually assign your 3DS a manual IP address and manual DNS? Try those and see if the problem gets resolved.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
That should be no problem.
Just use 8.8.4.4 as DNS Server, which is one of Google's DNS Servers, and it'll nearly always work.

Years
That should be no problem.
Just use 8.8.4.4 as DNS Server, which is one of Google's DNS Servers, and it'll nearly always work.
While Google's DNS is fine, it's probably better off to use your local DNS address, which is typically the same IP as the gateway IP. In my case, my gateway IP is 192.168.1.1, which works for DNS as well. If I needed to manually assign an IP, I would randomly go with 192.168.1.14 (as an example, the last digit can be changed to your preference as long as another device doesn't already use that number) and that would be the IP assigned to the device.

However on some routers, the gateway IP is either 192.168.0.1 or even 10.0.0.1

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
Local IP Addresses can be:
1. 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
2. 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
3. 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

I've been a Network Administrator for 2 years.
For the most of the time, people don't care about their Routers security, which means he can just go on Google, look up his Routers brand and model for its default credentials, and he's in.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Iv found my IP address and DNS but often when I connect it tells that another device has used the same IP addres and therefore refuses to continue.

Years
Like I said, try assigning it a number you know other devices on your network wouldn't have, such as maybe 21 or 22 (which I have done in the past) and see if that helps.

When it tells you that another device has the same IP, is it the number you've assigned to it or is your router creating the IP conflict itself?

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Ive did what you previously stated with the IP address and playing with the last two digits till it passes and I managed to get through. But after all that, the game still has this issue of taking too long to find a recipient. In short, it is still having the same problem.

Years
If it's taking so long, it might be your internet speeds. Care to take a speed test at speedtest.net and paste your results? That can give us a better idea to see if it's your ISP at fault.

Years
Yeah, that download speed is quite slow, so it looks like this is the fault of your ISP for providing speeds like that, and there's really nothing else that can be done. :(

Years
The best thing you could do at this point is either contact your ISP and see if you are eligible to get a boost in speeds, which may increase your bill to them as well, or look for a different ISP in your area that offers higher speeds. Other than that, there's nothing much you can do I'm afraid. :(

Back