• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
Thanks for the feedback on that map guys!

I've completely re-done my first Town and added the first Route:

Ortus_zps6vdq6rwk.png~original

EDIT:

Here's the first floor of the Player's house. I'm not great with interiors, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated

HouseEntree_zpsppksjpte.png

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=155l26g&s=8#.VgT5kZcpH6M
this is my first map that I have ever created I think it's decent but would like to make it better; any advice?
Map Name: Ainro University
Quickest change I think you could make is to cut all the distances between buildings and features in your map in half or so. You've got a LOT of dead space on that map. Following that, try to cut down on the repetition of the same tile for such a large area, and you'll have a more natural looking map.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Time for the usual Maps by Derxwna post - this time around in Faith & Prayer's progress, I finished remaking Goldenrod City in Gen 3 tiles. I based the design of HgSs's Goldenrod. I had to make several custom tiles for the map, some in the interest of keeping to three layers, some just because I didn't have fitting tiles for the situation (Such as the Magnet Train station, and the additional "C" for the Poke Communication Center) I think it turned out good!
Spoiler:

I also finished a remake of Route 35 which I suppose I'm proud of, but not as much as I should be considering it was damage control (I severely misjudged the map connection space I needed). Granted, it allowed me to do some new things to the map (Such as add berry patches, some Wild Double Battle grass). Again, the map is based off the HgSs variant.
Spoiler:

I think Goldenrod might look more complete when I start adding NPCs to the map, as for Route 35 I'm thinking of sprucing up the trees on the left side for more zig-zagging. There's a bit of open grass near the top that I can fill with a small puddle or flowers, and the pond could also use some tweaking. The road could also be a bit more narrow probably, I'm still thinking about it.

Years
Quickest change I think you could make is to cut all the distances between buildings and features in your map in half or so. You've got a LOT of dead space on that map. Following that, try to cut down on the repetition of the same tile for such a large area, and you'll have a more natural looking map.
Thanks for the advice it really helped the way I viewed my map.:)
This is an updated Version of the Ainro University map

I feel as though I still have a little bit of Dead space though.

Attachments

• Ainro uni 2.png
    Ainro uni 2.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 21

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Thanks for the advice it really helped the way I viewed my map.:)
This is an updated Version of the Ainro University map

I feel as though I still have a little bit of Dead space though.

Honestly you're doing great improvement wise! You might be able to trim some more space by moving the back row of buildings to all line up and then wall off the extra area at the back, and from there you can fill you dead space with detail tiles (cracked pavement, bits of grass, stuff that just takes the dissonant perfection of the map away and makes it more of a living environment)

Last edited:
Years
Honestly you're doing great improvement wise! You might be able to trim some more space by moving the back row of buildings to all line up and then wall off the extra area at the back, and from there you can fill you dead space with detail tiles (cracked pavement, bits of grass, stuff that just takes the dissonant perfection of the map away and makes it more of a living environment)
Thanks again for the advice :).
With your advice I've made major improvements to the map.
This is the third version of my map.

Attachments

• Ainro uni 3.png
    Ainro uni 3.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 16
Years
Thanks again for the advice :).
With your advice I've made major improvements to the map.
This is the third version of my map.

You might want more thickly placed palm trees at the top, it looks like you can just walk between all of them. And even if the passability doesn't let you, it still appears as if you can so it will be slightly annoying to the player.

cRaCkZ

Well...
Years
Hello, some reviews about my maps?

Starter town:
Spoiler:

Route 1001
Spoiler:

Nova Town (2nd town)
Spoiler:

Years

Starter town:
Spoiler:

Route 1001
Spoiler:

Nova Town (2nd town)
Spoiler:
Hello, I'm fairly new to map making so I'm not sure how well my advice is at the moment. :)

For the Starter town:
I would suggest extending the pathways in between the houses. They are currently one tile wide which isn't much room for the player to walk through. I say you should make them about the same width as it is upon exiting your starter town. Another thing is for the water portion of your map the rocks don't match the water tiles you used it looks as though they are floating on the surface of the water instead of being submerged halfway in the water. I would suggest investing in a rock tile that looks as though it is halfway underwater and halfway on the surface. Or changing the water tiles to a FR/LG water tiles that would blend in with the rocks.

For Route 1001:
I would suggest ending the path tiles right before you hit the grass. Generally speaking in the official games and in fan games the path tiles end just before you hit the wild grass. Another thing is the ledge on the bottom left I think you should have it facing the other way; So there can be a short cut upon returning through that route. It would also make the player follow the path you laid out to the first patch of grass and pass by the route sign. instead of hoping straight into the grass.

For Nova Town:
I Would suggest adding another building to the bottom portion of your map or just moving one of the buildings down to the bottom because everything being on the top half in one area looks kinda weird. Also the path tile going to the orange building should continue after the stairs too be underneath the building like in the others. One more thing the red building looks as though the shadow was removed in the middle portion.

All in all it's a good start:)

Years
You might want more thickly placed palm trees at the top, it looks like you can just walk between all of them. And even if the passability doesn't let you, it still appears as if you can so it will be slightly annoying to the player.
Thanks for the advice I couldn't agree more they just didn't look right. I ultimately changed the tree tiles all together. I also changed some of the path ways

Attachments

• Ainro uni 4.png
    Ainro uni 4.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 45

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today

Starter town:
Spoiler:

Route 1001
Spoiler:

Nova Town (2nd town)
Spoiler:

Layout-wise the two towns are nice. My one suggestion would be changing the tree border - at the moment there aren't enough of them, so it looks like the player can just walk straight through them.

I think the route would be better served by having the grass more spaced out in various clusters, rather than one big clump of it. Perhaps extend the route a little to accommodate this?

Tigelreaf

Fairy Tail Trash
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 30, 2017
Thanks for the advice I couldn't agree more they just didn't look right. I ultimately changed the tree tiles all together. I also changed some of the path ways

I think your map could use some more details, it looks quite empty. Maybe some signs that people are living there? Benches, maybe some papers on the ground, etc C: Just be creative!

Here are 3 maps of my fangame:

Hometown:
Spoiler:

Some beach (Just ignore the guy standing there)
Spoiler:

The Player's house:
Spoiler:

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
Mulberry Woods (Valley? I haven't decided what this would actually be, because it doesn't look very woodsy.) It's a small transitory map leading to a place called the Dilapidated Shrine, where a small plot event happens in my game. A lot of the trees in the south side are just there for space filling, though I'm debating doing some stuff with the mountain and curving it around the bottom.
Spoiler:

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
Years
You can cut lot of useless space near the borders, where the player will never be able to see what's here. That will reduce the map size, which will be better for performances.
Just see in-game how far you can see on the left and down sides, and delete what's not view-able. Except of course if you're planning to do something here.

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
Years
I think your map could use some more details, it looks quite empty. Maybe some signs that people are living there? Benches, maybe some papers on the ground, etc C: Just be creative!

Here are 3 maps of my fangame:

Hometown:
Spoiler:

Some beach (Just ignore the guy standing there)
Spoiler:

The Player's house:
Spoiler:

Really liking your maps. Here are my comments.

1. Really liking it. It feels woodsy and peaceful.
The one thing I'm worried about is that the trees are pretty far apart from each other and look like you'd be able to walk between them, which is probably not intended. Though it could be nice to take advantage of this and make it some kind of 'maze' and hide some items in there. Just an idea.

2.I don't know if the water is supposed to be surfable, but it looks really shallow. It kind of looks like a very large puddle. What i'd do is edit the seeweed tiles so that it looks like they're coming out of the water, like the rocks instead of just sitting on top of it. Don't just remove them though, they look nice.

3. Not much to say here, it's a npc house. It looks good!

I like the graphics you're using. Are they custom or from a public tileset?

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
Years
Sorry about the double-post, but I posted my maps of the routes leading up to Fuschia City on Relicscastle so I figured I should post it here as well. These routes always kind of bored me so I decided to do make something new with them. I originally wanted to make it a Savannah, but I felt it would've been a bit redundant with the Safari Zone so close by. With Koga being a poison-type Gym Leader and all, I thought a swamp would make a lot of sense.
Route 13 still has the fence maze that makes no sense, but I added a beach because there aren't any beaches in Kanto and I wanted a reason to use the beach tiles because it made sense thematically.

Spoiler:

The Pokemon distribution is mostly the same as in the original (except you know, fused Pokemon). It was already mostly poison-types anyways. I just added Grimer (and Koffing? Can't remember.) as well as some water-type Pokemon.
Anyway, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Spoiler:

okay I have a headache. First attempt at making a map. Didn't really turn out how I wanted it to be but eh, could have been worse. Will redo the mountains at the top but for the moment it just gives me a headache trying to look at it. It's supposed to be the first town in a game I'm thinking of making, with a slight mountain setting but yeah, idk. Any feedback is nice.

Creativity isn't my strong suit graphics wise.

Edit: I made a couple edits to map, just fixed up some tiling errors/mountains at the top left and added a few trees (missing a couple rows of tiles but I was just trying to fit everything in one screenshot). Still not sure how I feel about the difference between the top left and top right of the map though (trees v mountains).

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Spoiler:

okay I have a headache. First attempt at making a map. Didn't really turn out how I wanted it to be but eh, could have been worse. Will redo the mountains at the top but for the moment it just gives me a headache trying to look at it. It's supposed to be the first town in a game I'm thinking of making, with a slight mountain setting but yeah, idk. Any feedback is nice.

Creativity isn't my strong suit graphics wise.

Edit: I made a couple edits to map, just fixed up some tiling errors/mountains at the top left and added a few trees (missing a couple rows of tiles but I was just trying to fit everything in one screenshot). Still not sure how I feel about the difference between the top left and top right of the map though (trees v mountains).

Your map looks fine, albeit a little too spacious mostly on the south end. Also, if you want to have an easier time of mapping mountainous terrain, I'd recommend making it one rise in elevation at a time, working from the bottom up.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Your map looks fine, albeit a little too spacious mostly on the south end. Also, if you want to have an easier time of mapping mountainous terrain, I'd recommend making it one rise in elevation at a time, working from the bottom up.

Thanks. I tried redoing it a bit. Still feels a bit spacious in the middle of the map Will fix up borders later (just copy pasted the map and then made changes rather than making it from scratch). Does it look nicer than the last map though?

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back