• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Character Discussion

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Yeah we've been off-and-on chattering about that. The battles in Unova have been really really lackluster compared to DP and even AG battles. Ash is no longer using innovative techniques, the terrain has minimal effect, and it's just hit-dodge-hit-dodge. Where's the crazy on-the-fly strategizing? It's weird that they'd drop it, because it's really his best skill. Talent. Feature. Whatever.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it'll come back in the X Y series.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Goodness I hope it starts to make a comeback as early as Decolora. The kids aren't doing much; maybe they'll have a few one-off tag battles or some tournament revolving around creative solutions in order to win. It's not like Ash is going to be doing much actual training work with his Pokémon since he's got nothing to aim for.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
If only the battles would, as you say, revolve around skill and improvisation. Like in the manga. Instead of just "heart." We can always hope.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Yeah it seems like Best Wishes has been more focused on "connection" and "spirit" than actual strategy and work. Like we've barely seen any actual training but wow have we seen a lot of fun characters with interesting interactions and Pokémon winning battles because of an amazing connection to their trainer that others just can't deal with. ????

I suppose that kinda goes along with the games being about connecting with Pokémon and people and showing that not everyone thinks the same and does well in the same areas. BUT they could have shown that so much better. I thought they did really well with the human side of things, despite Ash being actually reset to an uncomfortable degree, but they def neglected the Pokémon development in favour of juggling so many characters.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Plus in having so many characters many have had to be shallow. It would have been better with fewer much more dynamic characters. Plus the battles could be better.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Mhm. I'm thinking they really could have done without Virgil and Cameron. Both were introduced really late and had no role that couldn't have been filled by and already existing, more in-depth character. And Trip was so very full of wasted potential. Filling his early roles with Bianca and Stephan wouldn't have made much of a difference to the overall story except to give those two more development time.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
You're right about Trip, but I do like Cameron. His headband thing reminds me of Black from the manga. He should have been put in earlier, allowing more depth. Perhaps explaining why he does the headband thing.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I like Cameron too, but he was still in there for no time at all. And it seems almost like they tried to contrast him with Virgil- the hyperactive scatter-brained ditzy genius VS the calm responsible hard worker. Which would have worked well earlier in the series OR if the two stuck around for a while and played off each other. Did they even ever meet? idk man.

You're totally right about his headband thing being close to Black's deal though haha that's like the first thing I thought when he did that.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Well with a drastic age-up, yeah. It'd have to be like... he spent a few years doing other stuff and then we join him again with new friends in a new region. But I want more of a gradual maturity over a few series... like we really did see him mature through Kanto to Orange to Johto to Hoenn to Sinnoh. He wasn't any older, apparently, but he certainly matured and retained a significant amount of knowledge. I want that again. I want Ash's age to be ambiguous and just have him grow up slowly.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Exactly. Slowly become smarter and more mature. Begin using more complex tactics, thinking through things, becoming more considerate of others, be more like a mentor, etc., etc. The list could go on.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I'm still very angry that they reset him as much as they did at the beginning of Unova. There really was no reason for it, nor a reason for explicitly stating his age. I think they've realized it was a mistake now but there's no way for them to retcon it.

Years
Yes he should now grow up a few feets as well as his character should get battle hard costumes along with his old way where he wears his cap back wards. Not mention his voice should be more grown up too

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Nah nah nothing so drastic as that. I guess I'd like it where we actually watched him progress to a point in his life where aged and matured enough to actually become an adult with a career rather than a child vagabond. But I suppose that's kind of how they'd end Pokémon.

Actually you know I think I kind of see what the writers were thinking in demystifying Ash's age. They might have been thinking that he seemed to be ageing too quickly for the amount of time they expected Pokémon to continue so they did a giant reset. I still think it was an awful choice because they could have made him thirteen and got away with it, but yeah. That might be why.

Years
Nah nah nothing so drastic as that. I guess I'd like it where we actually watched him progress to a point in his life where aged and matured enough to actually become an adult with a career rather than a child vagabond. But I suppose that's kind of how they'd end Pokémon.

Actually you know I think I kind of see what the writers were thinking in demystifying Ash's age. They might have been thinking that he seemed to be ageing too quickly for the amount of time they expected Pokémon to continue so they did a giant reset. I still think it was an awful choice because they could have made him thirteen and got away with it, but yeah. That might be why.
A pretty well thought but when they will say that Ah we are tired of making more money and then Hey Ash's story should be concluded so then we will hear that Ash has finally become a Poke Master.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
When Pokémon finally becomes something that isn't worth the money and time spent creating it or they decide that they really can't expand on it anymore. That day is still far off, but it will likely happen.

So, so, Team Rocket are ever more back to being themselves. That sentence was atrocious but you know what I mean. I mean there was a tourist-trap con booth and a pitfall trap this past episode and <333 I'm liking seeing them back to normal. Now we just need an episode focused on them and some personality from their Unova 'mon and Wobbuffet back! I swear he's coming back guys it's gotta be him.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I want them to be more like they were in Kanto and Johto. Always making puns. However, I also like their more serious side. Perhaps they revert to their old selves between missions.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Yeah they tend to do well when they have a legit objective apart from "get Pikachu". Like they def seem to succeed more when Ash isn't in their way/they aren't distracted by Pikachu. So I guess what I'm hoping for them are some actual missions from Team Rocket HQ that they carry out while sometimes overlapping Ash&co. Kinda like back in Chargestone Cave. They completed their mission and got away; they only lost the bonus work put into it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I like that. Its sort of like in the manga. Red's doing his own thing and ends up interrupting Team Rocket's plans.

Back