• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Some questions about this team

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I used to play the older generation Pokemon games years ago, my favorite games are Fire Red/Leaf Green, Im going to buy 3DS XL next month, and im going to buy Pokemon Heart Gold with my 3DS XL.

I started to plan my team, how is the movesets? (I checked in Serebii what I think is the best moves)

Tyranitar :

Dragon Dance
Crunch
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Dragonite :

Dragon Dance
Outrage
Fly
Roost

Arcanine :

Flare Blitz
Iron Head
Thunder Fang
Extremespeed

Lapras :

Surf
Ice Beam
Perish Song
Thunderbolt

Hitmonlee :

High Jump Kick
Bulk Up
Earthquake
Mega Kick

Shiftry :

Seed Bomb
Synthesis
Dark Pulse
Giga Drain

My quesion is, how can I improve Pokemon's specific stats like SP.Attack and Attack?

Because I want to maximaize the stat I need in every Pokemon (Tyranitar Physical Attack) (Dragonite Physical Attack) Hitmonlee (Physical Attack) and so on with the others, u know what I mean.

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

For your "main" question, you will have to take your first steps into EV training. Here's Serebii's [link]. It explains everything you need to know. Additionally, knowing about [natures] would be of great help as well.

Take time to understand it. Not everyone gets it in one sitting.

As for your movesets, I'd highly suggest replacing Dragonite's Dragon Pulse with Outrage, and Fire Blast with Fire Punch or ThunderPunch. Fly also makes him quite predictable... Roost may be a better choice instead.

For Arcanine, remove flamethrower and teach it something else non-fire as you already have Flare Blitz (which is physical). Thunder Fang may also be replaced by the superior Wild Charge (i think this one was Gen5 though, so you might have to ask someone to teach it for you). Will-o-wisp, Hidden Power Grass (to get rid of Water/Rock/Ground types that attempt to kill you in one shot), or even a Sunny Day+Solarbeam combo could work well with him too. Not to mention Sunny Day, aside from boosting your Fire attacks's power, could aid your Shiftry as well (skip next paragraph if you want to immediately know why).

For Shiftry, focus on physical attacks instead (get rid of everything, basically). Teach it Seed Bomb (move tutor) instead of Energy ball. Sucker Punch, Synthesis (both from tutors as well) and Swords Dance(ask someone who owns any Gen5 game, preferrably from this site's Trade Corner, to teach it via TM) would make him much much more of a formidable opponent.

However, if you really want to persist with your (Shiftry's) current moveset, you may remove Leech Seed and teach it Nasty Plot instead. Giga Drain instead of Energy Ball is quite good with Nasty Plot, too. Regardless of your choice, make sure your Shiftry has the ability: Chlorophyll too. This doubles his speed under a sunny weather (caused by pokemon with the move: Sunny Day, or ability: Drought). And while it's sunny, you could spam some Solarbeams(special attack) as well. In this case, remove Shadow Ball (not really gonna be useful for you, since Dark Pulse is already effective on both Psychic and Ghost)

Try to focus each pokemon on having a moveset consisting of just one type of attack first:
Physical (raise attack); or
Special (raise Sp. Attack)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I will change Shiftry to Physical Attack, I tought that he is A special attack Pokemon, I putted Leech Seed on him because I remember that in the GBA games, Leech Seed was very useful.

I will also change Arcanine's Flamthrower, and Dragonite's Flameblast, I want some heavy damage attack on Dragonite without downsides, the only reason I want fly on Dragonite, because Fly is the most usefull HM (alongside Surf) i'ts pain to play without FLY.

BTW, why can't I quote?

Edit : Im see that Wild Charge is not in HG/SS, After I will finish with Heart Gold I will buy the rest of the games (Black/Black 2/Platinum/Y) then I will change Thunder Fang to Wild Charge

Last edited:
Years
I guess the same advice molivous gave to your Shiftry works for your Tyranitar too. You won't need Shadow Claw since you already have Crunch.

One question: is your team for competitive battles like tournments or just ingame fun? It might change some opinions like Fly being too predictable, I think.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I will change Shiftry to Physical Attack, I tought that he is A special attack Pokemon, I putted Leech Seed on him because I remember that in the GBA games, Leech Seed was very useful.

I will also change Arcanine's Flamthrower, and Dragonite's Flameblast, I want some heavy damage attack on Dragonite without downsides, the only reason I want fly on Dragonite, because Fly is the most usefull HM (alongside Surf) i'ts pain to play without FLY.

BTW, why can't I quote?
Not sure why you can't quote...

anyway, in case you missed them, i've edited a few bits of my post about Dragonite and Arcanine. As for Shiftry, he's actually good with Sp.A as well, it's just that his Att is a bit higher, and well, "every bit counts." Either way, he could turn out great thanks to his access on BOTH of the best offensive stat boosts.

One question: is your team for competitive battles like tournments or just ingame fun? It might change some opinions like Fly being too predictable, I think.
Well, yeah, sorta, idk. XD I just don't like Fly being trolled by some pokemon with the move Protect or smth. Anyway, I wouldn't disagree that Fly is mostly useful in-game.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I guess the same advice molivous gave to your Shiftry works for your Tyranitar too. You won't need Shadow Claw since you already have Crunch.

The team is mostly for fun, That's why I got Surf and Fly, It's impossible to play without them, maybe I will get another Dragonite just for battles, It will be so long, I haven't played any pokemon game since 2007, so I don't really remember anything besides the 1-3 generations and the moves from the GBA Games,

u can help me with the movesets if u want, (Again I didn't played those game for so long)

How about Iron Head instead of Flamthrower for Arcanine? Thunder Fang will be replaced with Wild Charge after I will finish HG.

And Outrage is that good?

Edit : Shadow Claw is Ghost type, Crunch is Dark type, I don't need both attacks for tyranitar?

I think that this Shiftry is good :

Seed Bomb
Synthesis
Dark Pulse
Giga Drain

and I changed Arcanine :

Iron Head
Flare Blitz
Thunder Fang/Wild Charge
Extremespeed

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Shadow Claw (ghost type) beats Ghost and Psychic Types... BUT! Tyranitar is not a ghost type, so there's no STAB (same-type-attack bonus) into it

Crunch (dark type), beats Ghost and Psychic types as well. However, unlike Shadow claw, Tyranitar gains STAB since Tyranitar is actually Dark type as well. So basically, shadow claw is useless due to Crunch.

Anyway, Iron Head's not bad for Arcanine. Beats Ice and Rock. Later on, once you get Gen V, you may even switch it to Close Combat - a stronger attack that beats Ice, Rock, Normal, and Dark.

Your Shiftry ain't lookin so bad.

About Outrage... it's the most powerful physical Dragon attack. With a single Dragon Dance boost, you could potentially OHKO any pokemon that's not steel type :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I didn't knew that so thanks, I will remove Shadow Claw, what should I change it with?

I will also replace Iron Head to Close Combat after I finish HG.

I just need help with Dragonite, is Outrage essential? because I remember that u get confussed after using it and thats annoying but maybe its too good I don't know.

Edit : I will replace Shadow Claw with Dragon Dance for Tyranitar, it's looks good on him, Attack and Speed buff, just what he needs.

And I didn't knew that about Outrage, after u explained it, DD+OUTRAGE FTW :D

Edit :

Now I just want to know what I should replace Dragonite's Fireblast with (not Lightning because Lapras got Thunderbolt and Arcanine Thunder Fang)

and Hitmonlee is fine or I need to change him also?

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Edited my previous post for info about outrage.

For a bit more info: There are berries now that automatically heal confusion. Otherwise, switching him out is always an option.
Roost or Fire Punch instead of Fire Blast works, i suppose.

...for tyranitar's moves, some options would be: Superpower, Aqua Tail, Thrash, Substitute, Rock Polish, or even Outrage.. lol. I think he can even learn Thunder Wave in gen 5.

Hitmonlee's badass. He can use HJK, or Close Combat. Either is good. Blaze Kick instead of Mega Kick or something else like Sucker Punch. Otherwise, he's good with your current moveset. Just a bit reliant on the accuracy side.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I saw about Outrage, even without the berries, it sounds OP so I will defenitly use DD+Outrage Combo, What should I change Dragonite's Fireblast with? seems like I need something physical because of DD.

and I think that Hitmonlee is also not so great so what should I teach Lee?

BTW I edited to the fixed moves in the first post.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

edit after reading your edit: your team's a lot scarier now. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
XD i type too slow, edits above~

edit after reading your edit: your team's a lot scarier now. troll away~!

LOL thanks, thanks to you im start to get into Pokemon again xD

about Hitmonlee, I will probably get Close Combat, but only after I finish with HG,

(after I finish with HG I will buy the rest of the games, Platinum/Black/Black 2/X)

And I actually like Mega Kick, even tough it's got only 75 acc, it deals some heavy damage and got no downside.

BTW : any replace for Dragonite's Fireblast?

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Sorry I didn't saw that xD

I don't think I want Fire Punch, Roost seems better, is it like rest but without the Pokemon start sleeping?

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
yeah, it's Synthesis for flying types XD

OK so I think I finished, I think that's A well balanced team, there is A lot of peoples Online?

and it's so bad that I use Surf and Fly? because it seems that there is better moves, but they are essential for me for just play the normal game,

Or I should make some Pokemons an "HM Pokemons" that will help me with those stuff (Surf,Fly,Dive,Rocks,all thise sh!t)...

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Nah, fly's not bad for the most part of the normal story (i just hate it when someone else switches out, or uses a troll-move like protect... -- mostly found in Pokemon PWT [Gen5]). You could say it's just my personal gripe against that move XD. Surf's actually one of the best water type moves out there, too.

And just to let you know. One good thing about roost is that, in addition to the heal it gives, it also removes the "flying" type of your pokemon for the turn it's used. For example, Dragonite uses roost. For that turn, he's pure dragon type -- making moves like Rock Slide not effective. (Ice moves are still super effective, but instead of the usual 4x effectiveness, it just becomes x2 when you use Roost)

"HM Slaves" is a generally-used term for what you mean. But eh, anything works.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Good to know that Surf is good and that Fly is not worthless.

Roost sound's fuk*n awsome, and u killed me with the "HM Slaves" xD that's too funny xD

BTW who are the Pokemons that can do "Slaving" best ?

I tought Dragonite will be Special Attack heavy, with this awsome moveset he is A pure Physical right?

is that matters or any Pokemon can be whatever his moveset is?

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

With Dragonite's stats, he could actually be either a Special type-sweeper, or Physical (and yes, in your current moveset's case, he's physical). But like Shiftry, his Attack is kinda higher (Actually, there's much more difference than shiftry's). That said, it makes Dragonite more Physically fit than Specially.

The most important thing is to check a pokemon's stats. Using that as basis, you can decide whether Special attacks or Physical attacks would be better.

Popular HM slaves are usually the first Normal types you encounter. Furret, Bibarel, Linoone. They can learn at least 3 HM moves. For waterfall, dive, and whirlpool... you have Poliwhirl, Seaking and Psyduck/Golduck.

A random flying type for fly. (Sorry, doduo.. not you)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Fly (Dragonite) and Surf (Lapras) will be all the time, Surf is really good, I only checked now Surf's dmg, its 95 with 100 Acc, that's insane, and Fly is also pretty good 90 dmg with 95 ACC.

Is Lapras more Special Attack? because I think that all of her moves are Special.

and Im planning to use the Red Gyarados untill I will get Lapras, so what's the best moveset for him? and I will also use Feraligatr mid game (Starter) so I also need moveset for him,

Probably for both it will be :

Surf
x
x
x

Edit : Moveset for Feraligatr :

Ice Punch
Aqua Tail
Swords Dance
Shadow Claw

is that good?

need help with Gyarados...