• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Battling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Just wondering if there is anyone playing LC?
I want to start, just wanted to know if anyone else plays it (:

There are a lot of people but most of them aren't concentrated here. There are a few people who enjoy playing it here though! Might as well give it a try. 8)

Heavy Offense is actually viable now as Exca and Thundurus cant just revenge kill/slaughter everything.

Yup. Alakazam is pretty boss now too, outspeeding everything that doesn't have a scarf really. Carrying checks to a few of the common scarf users like Rotom-W and Terrakion and Landorus really makes Zam's job pretty easy.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
Got a little question for you vets, would you rather use Alakazam or Mewtwo? I like Mewtwo since his high stats, but since he's an Uber, I like Alakazam and I think he is more fair to use. But I hate his low defense....or Espeon?

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2012
I now changed to a more balanced team, but a more powerful/tactical one, which can really screw people over.

-Lead = Forretress (explained above)
-Crazy Uber *****y Destroyaaah = Swellow - Takes out at least 2/3 team members, and sometimes wins the match for me. She survives priority of any kind like a champ, normally not taking much, and OHKOs everything in sight that's not steel/rock. Also pretty nice for revenge kills, as she can get toxic orb working right away. (Brave Bird + Facade + Quick Attack + Pursuit)
-Fast Set up Sweeper = Gyarados - When I am able to set him up with one/two DDs, he's beast. Only works when I predict correctly - which is 70/30
-Scarfing Hard Hitting Beast = Hydreigon. Basicly an all-out fast+strong combo, even though it normally only stays in for a couple of turns max., since it has a ton of counters. He's pretty awesome though. (Draco Meteor + Fire Blast + Dark Pulse + Stone Edge)
-Slow Set Up Bulky Sweeper = Eelektross (physical, with Wild Volt and Thrash... I love normal wrecking attacks, and with the high attack it gets, it's plummels through a team with at least a coil or two. Being slow is his main flaw, but he can take most hits)
-Support/Wall = Blissey (Heal Bell + Wish + Flamethrower/Hyper Beam (she's hardcore) + Thunder Wave - for those who aren't affected by Toxic Spikes)

I'll post it with more detail a bit later, since I'm not at home and I don't have their team status (also not sure about some of the things mentioned, like Hydreigon in general, since I only remember having a scarf and the only scarfs in the box that make sense here are him and Darmanitan, but I also remember having 3 physical attackers and 1 special). But I was thinking about getting a Milotic instead of Gyarados, since the 4x weakness to electric bugs me incase one shows up (even though grass being neutral is useful), and because setting up DDs the way he does takes a ton of health away, and sometimes kills, being easy bait for the ever present Scizor (almost OHKO'd after SR damage). Milotic is also bulky as all hell, even without rain present.

What also worries me is me being mainly physical (like I said, attackers = 3 physical and 1 special).
Please no suggestions of Ferrothorn.

I haven't played with this team much though, since before I was trying out Infernape one more time. OHKO's Gliscor after one Overheat, which is awesome.

Thank you for your time, I guess x)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Got a little question for you vets, would you rather use Alakazam or Mewtwo? I like Mewtwo since his high stats, but since he's an Uber, I like Alakazam and I think he is more fair to use. But I hate his low defense....or Espeon?

Sup PikachuGuy, it's nice to see you coming here to ask questions!

Choosing between Alakazam and Mewtwo really depends on your preference. One of the main things you should think about is what tiers they are in. These two pokemon are situated in two tiers, Ubers, and RU(although Alakazam is likely to be bumped up to UU if not OU.) For a complete list of the tiers, go here: http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/

Now onto the real question: Which one will you pick? Well, I myself prefer Alakazam in a standard match. This is because I'm not much of a competitive Uber player and play more standard BW OU. However, if there are no restrictions, go with Mewtwo. This is because Mewtwo has significantly better stats, a wider movepool to abuse, and is generally one of the deadliest sweepers- even in ubers, at least to my knowledge.

I now changed to a more balanced team, but a more powerful/tactical one, which can really screw people over.

-Lead = Forretress (explained above)
-Crazy Uber *****y Destroyaaah = Swellow - Takes out at least 2/3 team members, and sometimes wins the match for me. She survives priority of any kind like a champ, normally not taking much, and OHKOs everything in sight that's not steel/rock. Also pretty nice for revenge kills, as she can get toxic orb working right away. (Brave Bird + Facade + Quick Attack + Pursuit)
-Fast Set up Sweeper = Gyarados - When I am able to set him up with one/two DDs, he's beast. Only works when I predict correctly - which is 70/30
-Scarfing Hard Hitting Beast = Hydreigon. Basicly an all-out fast+strong combo, even though it normally only stays in for a couple of turns max., since it has a ton of counters. He's pretty awesome though. (Draco Meteor + Fire Blast + Dark Pulse + Stone Edge)
-Slow Set Up Bulky Sweeper = Eelektross (physical, with Wild Volt and Thrash... I love normal wrecking attacks, and with the high attack it gets, it's plummels through a team with at least a coil or two. Being slow is his main flaw, but he can take most hits)
-Support/Wall = Blissey (Heal Bell + Wish + Flamethrower/Hyper Beam (she's hardcore) + Thunder Wave - for those who aren't affected by Toxic Spikes)

I'll post it with more detail a bit later, since I'm not at home and I don't have their team status (also not sure about some of the things mentioned, like Hydreigon in general, since I only remember having a scarf and the only scarfs in the box that make sense here are him and Darmanitan, but I also remember having 3 physical attackers and 1 special). But I was thinking about getting a Milotic instead of Gyarados, since the 4x weakness to electric bugs me incase one shows up (even though grass being neutral is useful), and because setting up DDs the way he does takes a ton of health away, and sometimes kills, being easy bait for the ever present Scizor (almost OHKO'd after SR damage). Milotic is also bulky as all hell, even without rain present.

What also worries me is me being mainly physical (like I said, attackers = 3 physical and 1 special).
Please no suggestions of Ferrothorn.

I haven't played with this team much though, since before I was trying out Infernape one more time. OHKO's Gliscor after one Overheat, which is awesome.

Thank you for your time, I guess x)
Alright, before I start, this is better off as a RMT in a new thread. However, I'll take the time to go over this team with you anyways. Swellow absolutely wants U-Turn over Pursuit. U-Turn is an amazing attack and allows you to scout the opponent's playstyle and their switch in. It gains you momentum and lets you take control of the match. Hydreigon wants U-turn as well, this forms a deadly U-Turn core between Swellow and Hydreigon, gaining you much momentum. Elektross wants Dragon Tail over Thrash. This is because Elektross does not gain STAB on Thrash and is forced to be confused after using it; Outrage is only a viable move because dragon types gets STAB and there is only ONE resist against it. On Blissey, make sure to use flamethrower and NOT hyper beam. Hyper beam is a terrible move in competitve play; it locks you in the field while the opponent can do whatever they want. Run protect in the last slot, and maybe try out toxic over thunder wave.

Thank you for coming by and to both of you, have a nice day!

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Has anyone else faced the issue of overpredicting in like every battle? I feel like all I ever do is overpredict which works out really bad for me. For example, wifi lets me see a team, see Politoed, send out Virizion. Assume they wouldn't keep it in on Virizion because it can basically 2HKO it, use Stone Edge as there are flying types @ preview, nope, keep it in, do bad... etc.

And when I assume people will start off with Rotom-W (probably trick, assuming that deoxys-s will be screens but haha it isn't), they... don't. And yet a great portion of others do. Idk I should just assume nobody is going to play strategically or something, 'cause it's pretty annoying to lose batltes in general from overpredicting that I'd otherwise have won lol.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Has anyone else faced the issue of overpredicting in like every battle? I feel like all I ever do is overpredict which works out really bad for me. For example, wifi lets me see a team, see Politoed, send out Virizion. Assume they wouldn't keep it in on Virizion because it can basically 2HKO it, use Stone Edge as there are flying types @ preview, nope, keep it in, do bad... etc.

And when I assume people will start off with Rotom-W (probably trick, assuming that deoxys-s will be screens but haha it isn't), they... don't. And yet a great portion of others do. Idk I should just assume nobody is going to play strategically or something, 'cause it's pretty annoying to lose batltes in general from overpredicting that I'd otherwise have won lol.
Yeah, I did. Prediction is an art, really - especially predicting on the ladder. You can't just assume your opponent will be a high-calibre opponent to begin with. More often than not, the first few turns are best spent by going with the safest move and scouting how your opponent plays and responds to your move. From there you can identify their playstyle and start to plan your predictions accordingly. It's just a learn-by-experience thing; if you find yourself overpredicting all the time, just try to focus on making the safe move unless the prediction is absolutely vital to winning the game. It's better to play it safe and make slow strides rather than go balls to the wall turn one and risk losing the whole match.

edit: also oh my goodness this is a fabulous resource

http://www.honko.freehosting.com/coverage_calc.html

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah, I did. Prediction is an art, really - especially predicting on the ladder. You can't just assume your opponent will be a high-calibre opponent to begin with. More often than not, the first few turns are best spent by going with the safest move and scouting how your opponent plays and responds to your move. From there you can identify their playstyle and start to plan your predictions accordingly. It's just a learn-by-experience thing; if you find yourself overpredicting all the time, just try to focus on making the safe move unless the prediction is absolutely vital to winning the game. It's better to play it safe and make slow strides rather than go balls to the wall turn one and risk losing the whole match.

edit: also oh my goodness this is a fabulous resource

http://www.honko.freehosting.com/coverage_calc.html

It'd probably be easier for me if I did turn off wifi, since without wifi, Deoxys-S should be able to cover the most common leads without me overpredicting in regards to who the opponent will start off with, but yeah I'll try the safest and see if people don't expect that :x

That is amazing and going to be so useful! How'd you find it?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I hate trying to predict (though it worked against you, Nica ;D ).

That's why I love the RU/NU tiers. Pokemon people use are rather limited, so I usually know what moves and Pokemon my team are up against

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

It'd probably be easier for me if I did turn off wifi, since without wifi, Deoxys-S should be able to cover the most common leads without me overpredicting in regards to who the opponent will start off with, but yeah I'll try the safest and see if people don't expect that :x

That is amazing and going to be so useful! How'd you find it?

Well, you can play around with that kind of stuff too. You don't have to guess what they'll start with; just pick the lead that combats most of their team the best. :)

I found it by browsing through Smogon. Full of resources, that place is.

I hate trying to predict (though it worked against you, Nica ;D ).

That's why I love the RU/NU tiers. Pokemon people use are rather limited, so I usually know what moves and Pokemon my team are up against

NU is actually the most unpredictable metagame at the moment, imo. It hasn't developed anything at all so people are constantly finding new powerful threats. That being said, it's currently my favorite metagame because it's loads of fun. I encourage everyone to try it!

Years
NU is pretty fun, Vrai and I had a laddering day and got to #2 and #5 respectively, then we both tilted and he kept trying while I went to work on an OU team. Honestly, the lower tiers, barr UU which looks absolutely awful right now, will be quite fun once Sableye is banned.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Honestly, UU is terrible right now. Sand is everywhere, even I succumbed; it's that easy to use. A team of Hippowdon/Stoutland/Alakazam/Roserade/Filler/Filler wins you so many games. I haven't lost a single game with that team, as of now actually.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Honestly, UU is terrible right now. Sand is everywhere, even I succumbed; it's that easy to use. A team of Hippowdon/Stoutland/Alakazam/Roserade/Filler/Filler wins you so many games. I haven't lost a single game with that team, as of now actually.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been planning on taking a shot at UU/RU. Why exactly is it so unbeatable? :(

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been planning on taking a shot at UU/RU. Why exactly is it so unbeatable? :(

If you even come in to revenge kill a weakened poke on, Stoutland will come right in and take you out. Alakazam is singlehandedly the strongest pokemon in the tier. Magic guard allows it to perform amazingly in the sand, and nothing at all can really switch in. Roserade counters bulky waters, which normally can get in the way of Stoutland. Hippowdon is self explanatory, bulky and sets up sand. Golurk is an amazing sub puncher. It takes out bulky walls with focus punch and also hurts the likes of Slowbro with shadow punch. In the last slot I usually run rhyperior because CB off of 140 base attack HURTS. It also alleviates my problem with other sand teams.

As of now my sand team still has an undefeated record.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Someone please rate my team >:(

LC is my current obsession, I've been loving it for the past couple months.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I've always loved the concept of LU, but I can't wrap my head around the moves and evs. If LU was just unevolved Pokemon lvl 100 I'd love it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I tried UU against Kaori once and sucked lol I just feel like I want to learn more about OU before I really do try another tier properly though I really love OU /bias

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
To be honest, I want to learn more NU/RU/UU than OU.
I just wanna know how to make a good team is all xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Nobody says you can't make a good OU team, though! :(

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I prefer to dwell in the lower tiers. Most of the Pokemon I like are in there, and it gives me more motivation to actually try making a good team and such.

On the other hand, I really, really, really, really hate weather

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah I hate weather too :x It's basically the same teams over and over w/o much variation (since weather doesn't allow you for -that- much variation), then again I'd rather face weather than something constantly u-turning/volt switching on me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back