• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: How did you discover Rom Hacking?

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
I was told about ROM Hacking from a friend. He had played Shiny Gold and thought it was awesome. I looked around a bit and funny enough, I have never played a hack, but instead have just tried out hacking. It is a lot of work, but really cool!

From then on, I was hooked :3

That is my grand epic of tragedy and woe.

Years
  • Seen May 16, 2013
Heh, I actually started with Super Mario World hacking on Lunar Magic, a PC program. I then...uh...don't remember, but I messed around in Advance Map for a little, then remembered when I did this, like...a month ago.

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
First i couldn't believe that someone could hack a Pokemon game until i heared about a hack called Pokemon prism i played it but too bad its wasn't completed and I wondered if i could hack a gbc game but i failed and i noticed that gba hacking is easier because it has more hacking tools,tutorials and other staff then i started rom hacking and i found in it fun because scince i was a kid i always liked to make my own ideas for games :D

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
I found about Poke Community When i bought Shiny Gold Cartridge And I just got to KNOW about Hacking!

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2012
Just like a lot people on here, I found out about ROM Hacking through youtube and partially this site when I heard about Pokemon Ruby Destiny: Reign of Legends, after I had played through it I wanted to find out how to hack and create my own version of a pokemon game (and for me it's pretty hard to get my head around).

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I discovered when I was playing Pokemon ShinyGold and learned that it's a hack and I said to myself "Why is this not finished it seems to be easy hacking maybe I'll try it some time xD"... :

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
It was from Pokemon Quartz. I've saw a Let's Play of it on youtube, then there was a Let's Play of Light Platinum in the suggestion box, which took my interests. So I've decided to take a go at it. Even though I was skeptical at the game at first (Wonky difficulty curve at the start, the professor is not named after a tree) I soon began to love the game after the first gym. After playing that hack, I've decided to move on to Suicune's Expert Emerald, which was quite an excellent play, as Pokemon games nowadays tend to be a boring walk in the park. Later I've decided to try jagold's Ruby Destiny: LoG. At first, I was not sure if I would enjoy it due to fakemon, but soon I started warming up to them and even used one on my team. So now, I usually play hacks on and off, and at the moment I'm even making my own hack.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Back when I was 10, I was a PC Game buff and took a lot of pride in having so-and-so games. Then my bro's friend gave us a few GBA Pokémon games along with VBA. So as I got deeper and deeper into the games, my Pokéaddiction started. I downloaded more GBA Pokémon games and in the process I downloaded two hacks (Ruby Destiny Triology and Shiny Gold) without knowing that they were created by Zel and DJG. I used to think, this game has so many glitches, why did Nintendo make them? So I went deeper into them and found that they were made by independent "ROM Hackers" and they were "GBA ROM Hacks" and I got interested in the subject. I fished up more Hacks and, yeah, that's how I discovered it.

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
I was on YouTube bored out of my mind and then I thought I would look at some hacks.
I came across hacking for Super Mario 64. Then Super Mario World. Then Zelda OoT and MM and then finally FR/LG/R/S/E

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2014
I always wanted to make my own Pokemon game. I don't think I saw any ROM hacks before I came to this forum to start ROM hacking. I'm surprised I've made it this far; I can script almost like it's English to me and do quite a bit more hacking things.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
A lets play, pokemon Snakewood to be exact, I'm hooked and learning more about ROM hacking so that I can make a game where you're a grunt and have to work your way up to Leader.

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2013
I first seen on youtube some different names for pokemon games and i looked into it and found out it was really popular and i started to make my own hacks n_n

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
I discovered ROM Hacking on YouTube watching a video of the italian hack Marron Merda, which stays for Brown ****...

Golden Kirby

New hacker
Years
I found out about rom-hacks via a friend who said he found out about it from you tube.

And yes this account is created for rom hacking

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2016
I was on youtube and saw datai's video of how to get shiny gold and wanted to make my own

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
I migrated over to this forum after being a part of a different pokemon forum. It closed down so we all moved over here, and somehow I got into hacking. The rest was history, or something like that.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Found out a video of a Ruby hack a loooooooong time ago, although it was crappy. Remembered two weeks ago about this, searched, found about Rom-Hacks and got into rom hacking :D

Pinta77

For me it was shiny gold on youtube. It looked like a legitimate game, and it was the first rom hack id ever seen. Then a few days later, my step brother came home from the flea market with pokemon chaos black and pokemon quartz. So i did some research and found out how to do it myself.

Then 5 or more years later, I'm maybe halfway done with my first hack @_@

Back