• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music

Years
What are your opinions on the music in the Pokémon games?

This can obviously be explored through various routes -

Which games have the best music?

Do you find yourself humming any of the music on a daily basis?

Do you keep track of each town's theme or are you just memorising music that could come from any old route?

Do you prefer the laidback town themes or the more menacing battle themes? - Which ones are more catchy?

Are there any specific compositions you like or dislike?

Obviously don't feel any need to strictly follow these questions, I'm just giving an idea for what you may wish to discuss when it comes to music of the games.​

Now personally the most memorable theme is undoubtedly the opening theme for the original R/B games and this will have a 90% chance of being hummed by me on a particular day, it's actually so catchy. This is closely followed for me by the Wild Encounter theme, but almost all variants of the battle music find their way in to my head at some point. Unfortunately a lot of the other themes outside of battle also crop up in my mind, meaning I spend half the day just humming random Pokemon themes some of which I can't even remember which game they are from nevermind which town or route.

Overall I think I love the compositions done for the games and while I definitely prefer the R/B games' compositions over most other games, I believe it says a lot that seemingly unknown Pokemon game themes can stay in my head for prolonged periods of time. I think I would struggle to find a Pokemon theme I don't like which is very odd considering my usual indifference toward video game compositions; I even like Lavender Town's music!

Also as a last thing of note, I realise I haven't mentioned a single theme outside of Gen I so I'll just say Roxie's Gym Theme in Black 2 is pretty awesome too.

Years
(Listed from best to worst imo; just because a composition comes last doesn't mean it's bad, in fact it's probably really good too)

Best Wild Battle music: Generation 6 (if the songs from the trailers are for wild battles), Gen 5, Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4.
Best Trainer Battle Music: Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 5, Gen 3, Gen 4.
Best Gym Battle: Gen 1, 3, 4, 2, 5.
Best Elite Four Music: 3, 5, 1, 4, 2.
Best Champion Music: Cynthia, Iris, Gary, Stephen/Wallace, Lance, Alder.
Best Legendary Battle: 5 (BW2), 3, 5(BW), 4, 2, 1.
Battle Frontier/Subway Brain Battle: 5 (PWT), 4, 3.
Grunt Battle: 5 (Team Plasma was just the best team hands down), 4, 2 (HG/SS), 3.
Evil Team Leader Battle: Ghetsis, N, Colress, 4, 3.
Rival Battle: 3 (Those trumpets made it epic), 2 (HG/SS), 5 (Cheren and Bianca), 4, 5 (Hugh).
Cycling/Biking: 5, 4, 1, 2, 3.
Surfing: 5, 3, 1, 2, 4.

I found myself liking Route 19, 22, Mistralton City, Humilau City, Marine Tube, Reversal Mountain, Victory Road, and Roxie's and Elesa's Gym themes from BW2.

I liked Lilycove City from Gen 3 but I generally didn't start paying attention to Route and City music until Gen 5.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll edit as I think of more =)

I love Pokemon - well video game - music so much <3

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't think any of the games have genuinely bad music, though I'm not a huge fan of the music in FRLG and DPPt. They're very hit and miss. The misses are pretty eh at best, but the hits? Stunning. So they've got that going for them.

As for my favorite generation in terms of music, I'd probably tie up Gen I, III, and V. I love the little runs in all the gen I songs. So good and intricate for the time, really. Gen III, namely RSE as we know how I feel about FRLG music, is very distinct and has made a name for itself because of it (that name being TRUMPETS OMG). Gen V has amazing themes as well. I also love Gen II songs, don't get me wrong. But I rank them lower than the odd number gens.

My favorite themes include all the battle themes from RBY, Regi theme from RSE, Deoxys theme from FRLG (like I said, the hits are amazing), Ecruteak City from GSC, Colress theme from BW2. I personally think Pokemon has some of the best music in video games, but you also have to consider it's Nintendo. I don't really recall Nintendo games in general to have bad music, haha.

Years
I am not a big fan of music from the main Pokemon game series. I love music from spin-off games. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky have the best background music in my opinion. The music in those games made me go really emotional and I will never forget those themes, especially those ending themes.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I find myself humming a few of the tunes absent-mindlessly from time to time. I really like the music in the main series. I'd have to say Gen III easily has the best music, because of the overload in trumpets, which I think was the best thing they could ever do. Second favourite would have to be Gen V though, they have good music as well. I don't think any generation in particular has horrible music overall personally.

My favourite soundtracks would probably be the Kanto Trainer theme in HG/SS or the Gym Leader music in R/S/E,followed by Gary's theme in FR/LG, Ho-oh's theme and then probably the Johto trainer one as well. I also enjoy B/W's Elite Four theme. I don't think I have a least favourite personally, although I have to say the wild Pokemon theme from D/P/Pt, was certainly interesting. :x

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2013
To be frank none of them are sounds good and this is because of that they haven't given much importance to music since the story and the characters are unique and explicit.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Which games have the best music?

Ooh...that's a tough one. I certainly like the variable music in BW, such as in the second town where you add the piano. But there's also something to be said for the trumpet-heavy Hoenn, Sinnoh's is all pretty decent, and HGSS you can listen to it in the style of old games as well...oh and FRLG are good too. Overall, no conclusion.

Do you find yourself humming any of the music on a daily basis?

No I don't hum too much, and when I do there's too much pop/rock music that's more catchy.

Do you keep track of each town's theme or are you just memorising music that could come from any old route?

Um...I generally remember what to expect in each town. Except BW towns, I'd have to start playing the game before I remember them, whereas I know all the Hoenn music except some battle themes, even when I hadn't played the game for years.

Do you prefer the laidback town themes or the more menacing battle themes? - Which ones are more catchy?

I like them all really. Although one of the most catchy ones is a battle theme (See below).

Are there any specific compositions you like or dislike?

Love it, the old-style remix is cool too, but this is by far my favourite piece of battle music, possibly of all music in the games.
Also love the aforementioned music from that second town in BW:

Back