• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making an item with the effect of Flash

Ookiiushidesu

Lead Mapper/Eventer at Gen0
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Title is pretty self-explanatory. Do you know where the Flash effect stuff is and how I could make an item, kind of like a torch, that has the effect of Flash?

A one-use item, though.

Thanks!

Ookiiushidesu

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
It's not hard to figure out yourself, it functions pretty much the same, structurally. I'm assuming you're trying to add a candle or a flashlight of a sort.

Ookiiushidesu

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
The example given was for a surfboard. That still seems like it was an unlimited-use item. I need it to be a single-use item.

But yeah, like a torch thingy. Something to give the player early on before Flash to get through one way, but then if they go back through I don't want that advantage there.

It is just written kinda vaguely and I'm not sure where he has the different code being edited and stuff.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
The example given was for a surfboard. That still seems like it was an unlimited-use item. I need it to be a single-use item.

But yeah, like a torch thingy. Something to give the player early on before Flash to get through one way, but then if they go back through I don't want that advantage there.

It is just written kinda vaguely and I'm not sure where he has the different code being edited and stuff.

Ah, it needs to be consumed then. You can reference the Escape Rope code for that.

Ookiiushidesu

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Alrighties. I'm still not entirely sure where to put the code and everything, though.

And then again there's the terrible issue updating from V11 essentials to 12.... -bleeeeeeep-

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
I believe you should also copy the Escape Rope line in items.txt, one of those values means to be consumed if I recall correctly.

Ookiiushidesu

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Yeah I understand that part, but I don't get where the tutorial is saying to put the different code and where to get the other stuff. I wish it was more concise.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
PokemonItemEffects is where it should go if you are adding a new item (usable from the bag). You should see other items such as the escape rope. There should be two instances. Under each instance is where you should put your code. Reference the surrounding code for format.

Ookiiushidesu

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Ok. That makes sense. I figure that part would be like adding a new time frame under PokemonTime. But like where do I get the code for Flash to put under the Item effect?

Would it look like this example? (The example FL uses with the surfboard using Surf)

Spoiler:

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Thing is, Surf and Flash are two different functions. They probably behave differently. Surf functions against tiles with a terrain tag of 5 while flash functions when a map has a cave setting on.

HiddenMoveHandlers::UseMove.add(:FLASH,proc{|move,pokemon|
darkness=$PokemonTemp.darknessSprite
return false if !darkness || darkness.disposed?
if !pbHiddenMoveAnimation(pokemon)
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1} used {2}!",pokemon.name,PBMoves.getName(move)))
end
$PokemonGlobal.flashUsed=true
while darkness.radius<176
Graphics.update
Input.update
pbUpdateSceneMap
darkness.radius+=4
end
return true
})

I imagine that is going to help with what you'll need. Sorry I'm not much concrete help, I've yet to attempt adding Flash as an item myself.

Ookiiushidesu

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Yeah that should help somewhat at least ^_^ Thanks. I actually think a cooler way would be to have a guy make his Pokemon use flash for you. So you talk to him and it happens. I tried clicking the script command in the event and put in a line or two in it but the game crashed when I tried activating it.

Would you know a way to put the darkness radius increase in an event? I tried just pasting the darknessradius+=4 thing, but it didn't work either.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
In an event? I would assume you'd have to make a new command for that. I think someone like Maruno would be more help here.

Ookiiushidesu

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Okay. I can just mess around with the item and stuff for now.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
So are you no longer using an item?
Because Pokémon who can learn flash... Already works how you changed your mind to!
I've been watching this post, but Evil Arms has been doing a fine job helping you... But now I'm confused.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Code:
ItemHandlers::UseFromBag.add(:TORCH,proc{|item|
   next 0 if !darkness || darkness.disposed?
   Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1} used the {2}.",$Trainer.name,PBItems.getName(item))
   next 4
     Graphics.update
     Input.update
     pbUpdateSceneMap
     darkness.radius+=4
   end
})

Does this solve your dilema? Just put it in PokemonItemEffects.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Thing is, Surf and Flash are two different functions. They probably behave differently. Surf functions against tiles with a terrain tag of 5 while flash functions when a map has a cave setting on.

I imagine that is going to help with what you'll need. Sorry I'm not much concrete help, I've yet to attempt adding Flash as an item myself.
I didn't tested with all HMs, but I believe that my tutorial works with all HMs effects since every one has a 'CanUseMove' and an 'UseMove' proc.

If there's something that someone doesn't understand in one of my tutorials/scripts, just ask.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I feel like you have your answer with what Luka said but if you still need it, and want an event, just call this script.

Code:
return false if !darkness || darkness.disposed?
  Graphics.update
  Input.update
  pbUpdateSceneMap
  darkness.radius+=4
end

Ookiiushidesu

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Thank you guys SO MUCH!!!!! You've helped tremendously and also helped make Viridian Forest that much more awesome now. Thank you!!!!

Anyone can lock this, now.

Back