• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Gold hack: Pokemon G/S Nuzlocke Version

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Introduction

This is a small hack to of Pokemon Silver version which builds Nuzlocke battle style in those games. Basically, if your Pokemon faints, it will die instead and will be gone forever. It will also be impossible to get Revives & Max Revives in the game (in case I don't put in a special case like being able to obtain one just like Master Ball).

Other than that, some NPC text is edited to make them not say something like this: "You can heal your fainted pokemon in PC.".

Add-ons for Pokemon Gold & Crystal

I may create patch files that also support nuzlocking Pokemon Gold & Crystal (this one works mostly for Gold but I'd recommend patching over Pokemon Silver (U) rom instead to prevent more bugs from occuring).

Screenshots

These two screenshots are from the early game: In the first one, Pidgey has clearly died and the second screenshot is taken straight after the battle when pokemon menu is opened. Pidgey was basically removed from the party right after the battle ended.

scaled.php
scaled.php

I know the second screenshot doesn't say a thing and could have been taken any other time as well but there isn't really anything worth showing screenshots of. The idea of the hack is just for Nuzlocke playthroughs, that's all!

Downloadlink
Pokemon Nuzlocke Silver 1.0.ips

Liogerzero's Let's Play

Last edited:

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Awesome, this is going to be fun. Can't wait to play it.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Yes, what does happen when all pokemon are down?

But overall, it's a great idea.

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
Hey i cant wait to start playing this one please do it fast.

i want to try nuzlock challange.

miksy91

Years
Good to hear you like the idea!

When you lose all your pokemon, currently the battle seems to end like it normally would (screen goes darker and some text is displayed). There is no "GAME OVER" screen but the battle ends by music fading out and the text box will display "GAME OVER!" and there is nothing you can do expect for reseting the game.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
no point putting any more revives since ur pkmn disappears after it fainted.
(is that some special script that permanently removes the pokemon or are they just moved somewhere else?)

miksy91

Years
no point putting any more revives since ur pkmn disappears after it fainted.
Actually, it doesn't. When your pokemon faints, there would still be time to revive it but that's only till the battle ends. When the code for "returning the gameplay" is called, dead (or fainted) pokemon are taken away.

(is that some special script that permanently removes the pokemon or are they just moved somewhere else?)
No, it's all ASM. Similar type of codes to the assembly codes that are for example called when you catch a pokemon and it's added to your party or switching pokemon from a party slot to another are used to do that.

Wow, awesome!
I had no idea that it could actually be implemented o.O
If you release it, it'll surely be very popular.
It'll be no time at all before I get it released!
There are some bugs in it though (I don't think I'll encounter more than these):

Code:
-Pokemon dying from poison when the player is walking (nothing major, odd text is shown though)
-Eggs can't be hatched because they've 0 HP and will instantly disappear from your party :\
-Oddities related to pokemon dying (rival battles, elite four, some people talking in a strange way)
-HM users can die (which can lead you getting stuck)

That's all though so nothing major but I couldn't find another way for implementing what I had to to so that's why those things happen.

miksy91

Years
Guess what?

I finished testing the game a couple of days ago (and ended up finishing it with Sudowuudo and Lugia because rest of my team (including Meganium) died during the test-play, hahha) :D

Today, I still made a couple of adjustments and checked that everything was running properly and now, it's done! Pokemon Nuzlocke Silver 1.0 (ips-file) can be downloaded above. Tell me what you think about it and don't use save-states (if you're not a newbie that is) !

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
wow great hack i'm actually doing a combined solo and nuzlocke challenge with this hack. of course i will be using a max. of 3 HM Slaves but i fail if Cyndaquil-Quilava-Typhlosion dies

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
So far this is has been a new experience. This seems to benefit my whole style of working on one Pokémon at a time. Just beat Bugsy and my Rival, only Pokémon I have is a Lv. 23 Quilava. But, I'll have to catch something that can learn cut in the Ilex Forest. I gotta figure out a way to keep Quilava alive with Whitney, this'll be tough.

It's also my first time doing a nuzlocke, I like doing it this way where it's programmed into the game and forces me to follow it.

or19937

Keep calm & BURN IT WITH FIRE!
Years
Dude, that's really awesome!
I had to check what happens if my starter dies at the beginning - Loved it when it said Game Over xDDDDDD!
Obviously I cheat and use Shift+F1 numerous times, but still, that's going to be a refreshing experience!

miksy91

Years
Nice to see some new replies around!

So far this is has been a new experience. This seems to benefit my whole style of working on one Pokémon at a time. Just beat Bugsy and my Rival, only Pokémon I have is a Lv. 23 Quilava. But, I'll have to catch something that can learn cut in the Ilex Forest. I gotta figure out a way to keep Quilava alive with Whitney, this'll be tough.

It's also my first time doing a nuzlocke, I like doing it this way where it's programmed into the game and forces me to follow it.
You know what, it was also my first "nuzlocke playthrough" I did with this hack. I created this mostly for practising assembly and knew it wouldn't be that hard to create so there.

For reference, my starter was killed by a Weezing of team rocket in radio tower. But I still had Sudowuudo left and by getting Lugia, I was able to complete the game later on.

Dude, that's really awesome!
I had to check what happens if my starter dies at the beginning - Loved it when it said Game Over xDDDDDD!
Obviously I cheat and use Shift+F1 numerous times, but still, that's going to be a refreshing experience!
Thanks for the comments :)

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
Years
i think im gonna be making a video walkthrough of this hack. im fairly new to it and ive mostly been doing randomizers for the most part, im gonna try it. oh and i know you hack GBC games, but do you think you could get this code on a GBA game also? just curious.

miksy91

Years
oh and i know you hack GBC games, but do you think you could get this code on a GBA game also? just curious.
The coding itself in GB/C and GBA games is way different but of course a similar nuzlocke hack could be made of any GBA pokemon game too. I happened to knew where to write new code for making this hack run in the way intended but wouldn't be able to do the same for any GBA pokemon game because I don't know how they're programmed.

It's possible that one of the hackers familiar with assembly is going to do such hack for a GBA game in the future, not me though.

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
Years
hey misky, could this hack be used as a rom base for other silver hacks and/or patched over for other silver hacks to have the nuzlocke system implemented in that game as well?

miksy91

Years
hey misky, could this hack be used as a rom base for other silver hacks and/or patched over for other silver hacks to have the nuzlocke system implemented in that game as well?
You could patch it over on only minor hacks that don't change:
-Text
-Scripts
-Battle system in any way

So it for example wouldn't run properly with my main project, Dark Energy (or Future) but you can patch it freely over a simple "251-hack" which only changes the pokemon trainers use and wild pokemon data (+ maps). I don't know if there is such hack out for Silver though. Check out Zophar's Domain, I remember seeing something similar to that being uploaded there a year or two ago. As stated in the main post though, it should be okay to patch this over a Gold (U) rom (hack) too but there are no guarantees. If you run into problems, you can always "de-patch" it and continue from the point you left.

Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
yo great patch miksy!!
i just have a few questions...
does this patch work with your active battle system..?..cause i think the game wil be pretty much cooler that way..also if i patch this in a clean rom and later edit it like adding new event and replacing pokemon sprite does it cause any errors..?
anyways this is a great patch again from you miksy!!
just when i was planning to play gold in nuzlocke mode..this is really a great patch!!
NICE NUZLOCKE!!

*EDIT*
ive discovered that nuzlocke patch worked well with miksy's active battle system!!!
i first patched the nuzlocke patch in a clean silver rom then played a bit then patch the active battle system and it works haha!!
now it way cooler and much more interesting than it normally has..
thanks for this great patches miksy!!!
anyway i hope you can figure out how to fix the egg hatching bug...cheerio!

Last edited:
Back