• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Best Starter all Region

Which The Best Starter all Region ^^

• Kanto region (Bulbasaur-Charmander-Squirtle)

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Johto region (Chicorita-Cyndaquil-Totodile)

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Hoenn region (Treecko-Torchic-Mudkip)

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Sinnoh region (Turtwig-Chimchar-Piplup)

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Unova region (Snivy-Tepig-Oshawott)

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Kalos region (Chespin-Fennekin-Froakie)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I like Hoenn starters the most. They are the only starter set where I love using all 3 Pokémon as my starter.

The others I do like, and the only set I really dislike are the Unova and Kalos set. They just bore me.

Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2013
Kanto - plus, since it is the first place you start off (considering you started playing from the first gen games), there's a strong emotional attachment with those starters, at least with me :)

Years
It would have to be a tie between Kanto and Sinnoh. Love those pokemon!

1a) Kanto - My favorite starter hands down would be Squirtle and it's evolution line. Pair that with Venasuar and Charizard who I think are all right and that's more than enough to be my favorite. Though I might be a little biased because they are the classics.

1b) Sinnoh - The first evolutions of all three pokemon are adorable and I like the animals that they stem off from. As they evolve I like the Grass/Ground and Water Steel combonations that change how you would have to fight them. Infernape has to be my favorite design wise but I'm not a huge fan of the repeated fire/fighting combo.

Years
Since my first starter was Totodile I'm inclined to pick Johto. Plus Johto starters are the only set of starters to retain mono-typing. It's a matter of opinion, obviously.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
This was probably the hardest poll I've answered since joining these forums.

Kanto
Pros: Nostalgia. All start out cute, yet all turn out to be badasses. Their evolutions are simplistic, and easy to follow.
Cons: They're all reptiles, more or less. They all shout the same exact personality, such that ultimately typing is the only reason to choose one over the other. Bulbasaur starting off as a grass/poison is a wrench to the pattern of all starters being monotyped.

Johto
Pros: They all have very distinct personalities: Chikorita being feminine, Cyndaquil being timid, and Totodile being aggressive. To this day, Meganium is the only fully evolve starter with a huge grin spread over its face.
Cons: Their evolutions all had boring types. When people are polled on which starter they'll choose, this trio has the biggest imbalance, with Chikorita usually only getting like 10%.

Hoenn
Pros: All evolve into badasses. First generation in which starters had (temporarily) signature moves. Very diverse in their battling tactics: Sp.Atker with amazing speed, Mixed Attacker with average speed, and Physical Tank.
Cons: Torchic's evolution was too drastic, al beit awesome in its own right. Lacked personality.

Sinnoh
Pros: All very distinct species--a reptile, mammal, and bird. All had fairly unique secondary typings that weren't forced. Referenced mythology (the earth is a tortoise), literature (Journey to the West), and history (Napoleon). Made use of the phys/special split to be even more unique in battle strategies.
Cons: All very drastic evolutions. Didn't have much personality in any of their appearances.

Unova
Pros: The most distinct personalities. Snivy was immediately dubbed "smug"leaf by the fandom, Oshawott has a frowning face, and Tepig has a jolly face. Snivy becoming royalty perfectly fit its personality; Emboar continues referencing Journey to the West; Oshawott being a samurai-in-training is cool. These all gave factors to choose from other than just what type you like most.
Cons: Tepig and Oshawott's evolutions were unnecessarily drastic for starters.Water and grass had the least number of dual-typed starters compared to fire as of GenIV, yet somehow fire managed to be the only type which got a secondary typing. Speaking of the fire starter's secondary typing....

Kalos
Pros: Very vibrant, and distinct species from one another (rodents, foxes, amphibians.) Chespin being mostly brown, and Fennekin being most yellow, is very refreshing when starters are almost always green/orange/blue.
Cons: We've already had 2 fire-type foxes: Ninetales and Flareon. We've already had 2 water-type frogs: Poliwag and Tympole. I would argue that these are the first starters with redundant species/type combinations.

Ultimately, I chose Kanto.

Sirfetch’d

While I have used every starter Pokemon thus far, and found most of them enjoyable and lovable in their own unique way, Hoenn wins this hands down. All 3 starter Pokemon from this region were not only adorable, but so excellent at what they do. I have played Emerald over 30 times and I rotate my starter choice because I love them all so much. Of the 3, Torchic is my favorite and also my favorite starter of all time. This region is going to be hard to ever top with better starter Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I've always been a Sinnoh fanboy and the starters were no exception to this. Piplup is adorable and becomes a badass Penguin overlord; Chimchar is also adorable and become one of my all-time favourite competitive Pokémon; and Turtwig is a turtle - need I say more? I've used every starter to date and I've liked the majority of them, but most generations have had one that I've hated. I loved Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle but their evolutions were mostly let-downs (Venusaur gets away with this), I adore the whole Cyndaquil family and the Chikorita family is cool but I hate the Totodile line, I loved the Treecko line but wasn't a fan of the other two Hoenn starters, and I loved the Tepig line but that's it for Unova. Sinnoh's the only region so far in which I've loved all the starters so unless Kalos changes that, I'm sticking with Sinnoh.

Back