• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disappointment In Starter Evolution?

Years
I saw a thread like this over on Serebii.

I remember that when the Unova starters where released, everyone's initial thought was "I am so choosing Tepig". But then the evolutions were released, and they discovered that cute little Tepig evolves into a fat pig wearing a corset. Most people were disappointed, but it was not the first time that it happened.

Even though most people find Tepig's evolutions "ugly", my brother ended up choosing Tepig when playing White (it's his first time going with a Fire Starter) cos he hated Oshawott (he used to always pick Water Starters). He just likes Tepig cos it resembles P-chan.

So, where you ever disappointed by an evolution of a starter? Did you pick that starter anyway?

This includes both middle and final evolutions of starters.

Starter evos to discuss: Ivysaur/Venusaur, Charmeleon/Charizard, Wartortle/Blastoise, Bayleef/Meganium, Quilava/Typhlosion, Croconaw/Feraligatr, Grovyle/Sceptile, Combusken/Blaziken, Marshtomp/Swampert, Grotle/Torterra, Monferno/Infernape, Prinplup/Empoleon, Servine/Serperior, Pignite/Emboar and Dewott/Samurott.

Last edited:

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Oshawott's final evolution is terrible and hardly even resembles the first 2 forms. It's closer to Walrein if anything. It would be more acceptable as part of a separate evolutionary chain in my opinion, not apart of Oshawott's.

Snivy's final evolution was also disappointing. It's almost nothing to look at, design-wise. It's odd to compare how each form of Snivy looked to each other then you see Serperior stick out so awfully.

Years
Ivysaur to Venusaur... I still have a hard time evolving those two to their full forms, where they turn into some enormous monster with a funny-looking mouth and warts. I was just never a fan of it, personally. Same exact thing goes for Wartortle to Blastoise, only imo it's not as bad as the former - Blastoise at least has some cool points, like its shell cannons.

The evolution of Torchic to Combusken and Blaziken also confused me a bit at first lol. An obvious chick evolving into a very humanlike fighting bird seemed like quite the concept change. I love Torchic but don't like its final form at all. ):

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Emboar being the third Fire-Fighting dual-type starter yet. I don't mind too much how it looks, just the repetitive typing theme it has continued.
Also Venusaur, it's just ugly.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
Years
I chose Tepig as my starter and I really regret it now. I've always chosen fire types and now I'm thinking about restarting (I'm not that far anyway) and going with Snivy.

Ivysaur to Venusaur never really appealed to me much, you could say? I thought it was very ugly and when I was little, I was scared of Bulbasaur's final evolution...

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
Years
I said something on serebii, but the GEN V starters dissapointed me. Namely Emboar. I wish it were something else other than fire/fighting >:c

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I thought Totodile got progressively uglier... I love Totodile and Croconaw but Feraligatr looks more like a leather blob.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I was originally going to start with Snivy in White, but after seeing the stats and movepools of its evolved forms, I was disappointed. So I went with Tepig instead.

I was also somewhat disappointed in Tepig's evolved forms; a third Fire/Fighting starter in a row is too much already.

Years
Totodile is one of my fav starters but yeah, its evolved stages look odd to me.
I've always liked Charmeleon and Charizard stages. Maybe because i loved Ash's charizard haha...

Years
I would say that Totodile is the prime culprit here. Croconaw is absolutely horrendous. I think Feraligatr is tolerable though. .-.

However, he's still rivaled by Tepig. I'm not a huge fan of the little guy anyways, but they actually managed to make him much worse. On top that, they slapped on Fire/Fighting for the third time.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Snivy's final evolution was also disappointing. It's almost nothing to look at, design-wise. It's odd to compare how each form of Snivy looked to each other then you see Serperior stick out so awfully.
This pretty much just seems it up for me. When 5th Gen coverage began I was pretty stoked about Snivy I thought it was going to be Grass/Dragon at first it really didn't strike me as a snake. Then I saw Servine and Dewott about a week or so prior to the release(this was due to the Battle Club episode) so I wasn't too disappointed. When all the pokemon concept designs and most of the other Gen V pokemon were revealed I thought they were trollin cause the designs looked atrocious. This is why I opted for Emboar cause it was the less of evils for me.

I would say that Totodile is the prime culprit here. Croconaw is absolutely horrendous. I think Feraligatr is tolerable though. .-.

However, he's still rivaled by Tepig. I'm not a huge fan of the little guy anyways, but they actually managed to make him much worse. On top that, they slapped on Fire/Fighting for the third time.
You must not like the fact that Tepig is Ash very Unova starter to evolve then.

Nightmane

Ruler of Houndooms
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 3, 2012
I am sorta disappointed in Oshawatt. He turns from a cute little Oshawatt into an awesome Samurai and then what?? Some horse/creatire thing with a stick sticking out of its head. That really throw me off.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I've been waiting for a thread like this. XD Anyway, while I like Chikorita and Meganium, I've never been a fan of Bayleef. It's not the worst design evolution, but it's not as good aesthetically as Chikorita and Meganium. A similar situation applies with Torchic, Combusken and Blaziken. I love Torchic and Blaziken, but Combusken is pretty meh. And yeah, I agree with the whole Tepig thing. Emboar isn't as good looking as Serperior or Samurott, but I picked it anyway~ XP

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
The biggest disappointment, and not only from gen V but from all gens, was Samurott. Wow, what is that thing even? Dewott had great potential, his colours were nice, he was bipedal like most starters, could have turned into something great and they design something unicorn/walrus thing like Samurott. I just didn't get that at all, it's the sole reason I didn't get an Oshawott btw. I also love Emboar though so I might haven't gotten it anyway.

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
So yeah i already knew how horrible the starters were in this gen way before i started but i still chose Oshawott... Other than him the only other water starter i have chosen is Totodile and boy what surprise did i get when it started evolving back in the days... That was horrendous with Feraligart >,<

I was never really a big fan of some other starters like Grottle, i did LOVED Piplup though but i always pained me to see him evolve that i wanted to press B always always. And let's not forget our dear friend Mudkip, with he's Marshstomp and Swampert evos... That is a DEAL breaker.

Treeko and Grovyle were bear-able to look at but that Sceptile with that huge tail >,< Nonononono always hated it...

Years
I agree with the people who're saying Venusaur. I was a little disappointed by that, and it turned me off to grass starters ever since. Chikorita brought me back a little bit, but Meganium's end sprite in the actual game turned me off completely for the next few generations.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
5th gen starters in general, really; Oshawott's final form I am certainly okay with but Dewott suggested something better or at least a different direction. Tepid's line was meh for myself, and Seperior not too interesting either for myself...

Sceptile never really appealed to myself much either. Feraligatr I like though; looks big and tough which is what it is.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Venusaur always looked like a dim-witted, slow moving lummox to me.

Sceptile was completely ruined by that freakishly big tail... a big step backward from the aerodynamic and sleek Grovyle.

All of the 5th gen Pokemon were letdowns for me. Emboar looks too bloated, Serperior (sp?) looks like some odd plant serpent, and Samurott looks nothing like its pre-evolved forms, and I have yet to see a RL otter with a huge horn growing out of its face.

arbok

cobra pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I like most starters but I don't like the looks of the Torchic line or Tepig line. I'm not too big a fan of prinplup either.
I don't know where I stand with Samurott. I like its looks better then its pre-evolved forms but at the same time it looks like a completly diffrent creature. Even with Magikarp there were some traces when it evolved but I see nothing in the leap Samurott does.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
I'm actually quite fond of the Evolved Starter Pokémon, as the quite alot of them rank highly in my top 10, such as Typhlosion (1), Serperior (2), Blaziken, Swampert, Charizard...
Mostly because I have very fond memories of using them in-game.

But designwise, I don't like all of them.
Bublasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur - As mentioned above, Venusaur isn't too pretty. I'm not very keen on the grass type, specially in those days, so I didn't use them much.

Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard - The Charmeleon backsprite in B/R/Y. Eew. I like them. Most of the time I picked this line in Kanto.

Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise - Not too fond of the canons on Blastoise's back, but I love the first two. On my first playthrough on MD, I turned into a Squirtle and I didn't evovle because I loved the Wartortle's sprite.

Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium - As before, the grass line is not most used. Though I have to say that the anime greatly appealed for this line. Ash' Chikorita/Bayleef was adorable.

Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion - Love. They look huggable. XD

Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr - I never understood the torn swimsuit look for Croconaw. It looks a bit out of place compared to it's pre/evolution.

Treeko/Grovyle/Sceptile - I love Grovyle's aerodynamic design, evolving it to Sceptile was a step back. This line does have its nice points, but it's not my favourite.

Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken - Again, it's the second stage I'm not too fond of. I don't like Combusken's poofy legs all that much.

Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert - I was never too fond of Marshtomp's design as it looked kind of dumbwitted. Swampert's somewhat better, but Mudkip is my favourite of the line.

Snivy/Servine/Serperior - This line is my favourite of Unova and ranks amongst the highest of my favourite pokémon. I love how each one of them has personality and I can't get enough of Serperior's attitude. I like the combination of green and yellow. It's true that it'd be nice if had become Dragon typed, but that doesn't take away that I love Serperior. o3o"

Tepig/Pignite/Emboar - I used to think Tepig was pretty cute, going around claiming that I'd use him as my starter. But I was seriously disappointed by its evolutions. There's not that many ways you can go with pig-wise, but there are many more nice ideas besides a fat, flaming pig wearing a corset. I wish they'd make more Pokémon that aren't fat/have rounded bodies.

Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott - Dewott is my favourite in this line and Samurott is pretty cool, even though it looks like an entirely different Pokémon. The concept of this line is pretty neat, though.

The reason why I skipped the Sinnoh lines, is because I don't know them that well. Generally, don't like either of them, which is also one of the reasons I never really got into the Sinnoh Region.

Back